ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams 0001 Found

Ok, ive been doing some investigative work on the history of the Clio Williams and i have tracked down 0001. Anyone interested in knowing the story?;) I also have pics.

Ok here is the story.

Start star wars music!!

Along time ago in a galaxy far away........

This comes from the horses mouth. Big Frank himself. I wrote to him about 3 weeks ago and he has replied. Apparently Clio Williams 0001 is alive and well. Frank was given 0001 in exchange for the race winning FW14b formula one car he had at the end of the 1992 formula one season. There was a ceremony with all the Renault big men there and Frank himself. Clio Williams 0001 is in the Williams Formula one private collection with just a poxy 19 kilometres on the clock. Now this is bad from my point of view as it makes my car look sh*te. However there is a twist in the tale. 0001 is a left hand drive car. So mine is the first production of a right hand drive model. I have also been invited to go and see the car, so im hopefully going to get some pics that i can put on here. They also sent me a digital pic of the 0001 plaque, as soon as my scanner is working, ill get it posted.

Rob

Mr2 Roadster

But yours is the 1st right hnd drive model... Thats someting in itself...!!!!

Lucky bugger!

Clio 182 w/ cup packs

It would have been impossible for Frank Williams to have crashed 0001 anyway cuz he has been in a wheel chair since 1986 after he crashed a Ford Seiara!

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Quote: Originally posted by VoRN-182 on 22 July 2003

It would have been impossible for Frank Williams to have crashed 0001 anyway cuz he has been in a wheel chair since 1986 after he crashed a Ford Seiara!
Thats what i have always thought.

Finally someone put 2 and 2 together. A; who ever said Frank crashed #01? and B; yes, hes been in a wheekchair since the late 80s. No clios back then...

How does the williams 1 numbering work between LHD & RHD? Are the LHD drive ones numbered (if at all) from 500-xxxx, i.e. is there a UK #100 and a Euro #100 or is it #1 = LHD, #2-#500=RHD & #501-#xxxx=LHD.

Does that make sense ? :confused:

TT 225

AFAIK UK ones go from 2-400 (now we know 1 is a LHD) and the european LHD ones go from 401 - 3000 (i made that last figure up cos I dont know how many there were lol)

dont actually think it matters number wise. its just how they were built at the time thats why number 002 of the clio V6s was left hand drive too

Number 2 to 400 are all right hand drive. 0001 and all the others are left. Renault obviously made 0001 left for the sake of being nationalistic, however, the 2-400 batch were right hands drive because the whole marketing strategey of Renault was to aim it at the growing boy racer market in the 90s in Britain. Continental europe did not have the same boy racer culture and so was less important from a marketing point of view.

I was told by the now dead clio williams owners club that number 403 was right hand drive?! Oh and I know the where abouts of number 118 a(my old one sob,sob), and approximately 4 years ago I found number 83 (or possibly 84 - I cant remember) that had 89 miles on it and was still not registered by the ex-renault garage that owned it.