ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams & 16V differences

clio 20v

my valver revs to 7200 and i believe the williams revs to 6500 i wouldnt have bought the williams its not that i didnt want one, its just the cost of the car, and insurance cost and i prefer the colour of mine and its got the leather which i like

justto confirm, (as many of you know)

the willy has a lower rev limit because it gains its additional 200ccs buy using a longer throw crank, therefore allowing the pistons to travel further in the smae bore, to up the rev limit significantly would be risky, and not somthing i would do without spending to massive amount of cash needed for forged pistons etc, another expensive alternative would be to increase thew bore on the 16v engine, to 2 ltrs or more (space permitting) then the sort stroke 2ltr could be made to rev to 8k realisiticly,

see my post on the engine mods section,

to put it in pespective, when the spyder cup spec engines came up for sale i contacted the tuning company who prepeared them and asked about dropping one in to a clio, he said he had done a similar conversion using an clio cup spec engine, this was the same 1800 F7P lump all 16vs come with but it had all the required mod to rev to high (fully lightened and balanced etc) and with one of thier ECUs that had an 8.5k rev limit it did 150+mph and 0-60 in 6 seconds whilst still achieving 36 mpg on a run, obviously this was with significant head work but it goes to show what can be achieved, and that 2ltr bottom ends dont have to be the first step to big power,

having said that if i could find one for sensible money i would snap it up straight away!

Crikey - didnt realise id open such a can of worms. I get the impression that none of you can read - I never used the term sports car - i said sports model
The Williams IS the sports model - yes the 16v is sporty but its not the Sports model, you see what Im getting at?
Its like saying the BMW 330 is a sports model - it isnt, the M3 is. Although theyre bloody close in terms of performance etc, one is a fast as fcuk road car - the other is the sports model. This is the distinction Im trying to make!!
I love my 16v, dont get me wrong - its a GTi killa without a doubt but dont get upset if I make a point you dont agree with!

Im hoping to due the 2ltr swap on my car this winter, if I can get it done without to much hassle Id be more than happy to do it for others.

Cheers, Simon

to put it in my perspective (but maybe im biased) the 16v is the flagship model and there was a limited run special edition Williams,

Ben H will back me up on that one, as it was him i got it from!

at the end of the day.. today i had a nice blast in a E36 325i and a rear pre-ecotec cavalier V6 and and the they were terrible in comparision, they are quick but (escpecialy the cav) they are all over the place, screw the cav and it spins on the gear change and pulls all over the place, putting it into a bend is really un-nerving, i was glad to drive my 16v home, 100% confidence for late braking and fast cornering..

16vs and williams are BOTH fantastic!

I reckon I could install a 2ltr into my clio, no bother. Got a big garage full of tools, and a whole childhood of whipping engines in and out of cars. Id also help anybody to do one.

My only problem is finding one, if anybody knows a place with a stock of suitable blocks with a set price, the club should definetly look into buying a few at once, save doh and make everybody who wishes it to have 2ltr power, could be fun.

Alex M

mk2 172

i think its ludicrous to not class the 16v as a sport model. the top and bottom of it is its totally re-engineered from the normal clio(almost) and look at the engine, it shares the engine with the next size up car performance model (r19 16v), thats like ford puttin the st170 into a fezzy. i know they almost will have soon.

BMW 320d Sport

no Phil, I still dont agree with you mate! In the BMW line-up the 330 is the equivalent of the 1.8 RSi!

In the original Clio range the one Clio that was completely different from the others was the 16v. And Im certain that it even said that it was the sports model in the Renault brochure. Im trying to dig it out now.

The Williams was just a limited run, better performing 16v. There is no equivalent that I can think of. Except the 172 which is the sports model nowadays and the Cup which is exactly the same car but altered to be a better performing Clio.

Wuth regard to the 2.0l engine conversion for the Clio When we at Hillpower supply and fit a 2.0l we do more than just fit a Williams lump. Because we guarantee our work we inspect all aspects of the donor engine and fully rebuild the cylinder head replace pumps and belts fit new 2.0l clutches and more. If any one would like our conversion sheet please e-mail me through www.hillpower.co.uk.

Basically, the 1.8 8v RSi was the 330i equivalent. The 16v was developed and released a little later as the M3-type car. The Willy was the M3 CSL equivalent - a honed to perfection special edition of the 16v. The 16v was influenced and developed partly through the Renault Sport Group A rallying team (who ran the 1764cc engine). The Group A Clio was the fastest 2wd/fwd car of its time.

Hence the 16v had larger arches to accommodate the bigger wheels and longer suspension travel, and the bonnet bulge to cool the manifold - and a whole host of different parts to the standard Clio (which would take too long to list).

The Williams was a homologation special to comply with rallying rules - 2500 had to be made. For 1993 the rules changed to up minimum weight - so Renault responded by changing the 1764cc (run at 1794cc I think for Renault Sport) to 1994cc (or thereabouts), so that they could continue to be competitive.

Ironically, Williams themselves had little or no involvement in the Clio Williams. It was Renault Sport that did all the work.

The 16v was the kind of 172 of its day - the Williams the "Cup". In those days, the pair had little competiton (SEAT for exmaple, were still making Fiat Pandas!!). The 16v was highly regarded, and the Williams took the formula to its logical peak.

Dont be fooled to much though. The Williams was very strongly based on the 16v. Theyre more distinct from each other than the 172 and the Cup though.

Paul, from Western Isles, Stornoway to be specific mate, very quite up here, but probably moving to Glasgow soon which should be more lively, might even get involved in some club stuff, track days are very appealing to me, although my valver needs a few bits and bobs done before I could give it a good thrash on a track

Alex M