ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams Clio heavy/snappy clutch

Clio Williams 3
I bought a Williams Clio 3 last weekend and the clutch is almost unbearable to use.
The clutch is heavy at the mid point - so when you put your foot on the clutch, the first 1/3 of travel is smooth and easy, then the middle 1/3 of travel is like trying to depress a house brick, then the final 1/3 to the floor is loose.

This isn't a huge issue until you try to pull away from traffic lights etc when the clutch returns with such force that the car lurches forward and the clutch engages with a bang, despite having your leg braced ready for it to happen.

The clutch was replaced with an unknown new one about 18 months ago, as was the cable. The clutch pedal assembly and self adjusting mechanism was also replaced at the same time.

I've tried lubricating the cable, and the connection on the gear box but it's no better at all.

Any ideas?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Is the clutch cable a genuine renault one and routed the correct way? if its a pattern part throw it away as all it will do is ruin the new pedal assembly.

Doesn't help that theres no info on the clutch - could be a heavier uprated one which is so not needed on a standard willy.

whats the pedeal like with the engine off?

Clio Williams 3
Is the clutch cable a genuine renault one and routed the correct way? if its a pattern part throw it away as all it will do is ruin the new pedal assembly.

Doesn't help that theres no info on the clutch - could be a heavier uprated one which is so not needed on a standard willy.

whats the pedeal like with the engine off?

the pedal with the engine off is exactly the same as with on. Very heavy and hard to depress and very violent return. Does that suggest anything?

Clio Williams 3
Just booked in for new standard clutch to be fitted. And new cable. They're gonna do the cable first, then clutch if the problem isn't resolved. Sounds like a paddle clutch has been fitted

Clio 182
sounds like a uprated paddle clutch, can the extended arm be fitted to make it more useable. this is what we do on the gtt's when we fit paddles.

Clio Williams 3
just checked the receipt and it says 3 piece clutch kit from a company called GSF but it says on it 'send valeo not sachs'

Not sure what that means

It was a MRP of £143 too if that gives any clues

Audi TT 225 Quattro
sounds like an uprated gt turbo clutch. got one in mine ( also from gsf) very good clutch and take alot of abuse but are rather snappy and heavy tho. most mk1 valvers and Williams have stiff clutches as std tho ( unless you do this pansy soft pedal conversion ;) )

ps does sound like your cable could do with changing tho as mine is snappy from the bottom, it kinda wants to throw your foot of the pedal stright away...

Clio 182
the valeo clutches on the 5's are famous for being snappy and they use a volvo pressure plate iirc. add the extended clutch arm to the box from volvo and it becomes alot smoother and softer.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
It does pay to get genuine stuff for mk1's, anything thats wasn't standard renault stuff on the car was mostly swapped for genuine and the car was sooooo much better as a result.

Clio Williams 3
ok spoke to GSF and they said the part number just relates to a 'sachs' clutch for a 1.8 or 2.0 litre clio. He cant say if its uprated or standard.

So maybe clutch is ok and it's cable

Skoda Fabia vRS
have you had a Mk1 Clio before ?

might sound like a stupid question but it isnt, they all have very heavy clutches no matter what engine is in em, you will get used to it in a few days/week or so

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
Worn plastic pivot point (under the clutch fork, pressed into the gearbox housing) can cause heavy clutch. If your clutch kit and cable are in good condition then my bet is on this pivot point.

Clio Williams 3
Worn plastic pivot point (under the clutch fork, pressed into the gearbox housing) can cause heavy clutch. If your clutch kit and cable are in good condition then my bet is on this pivot point.

Thanks.

My friend who strips and rebuilds classic cars said it feels like an issue with the pressure plate.

He said the way the pedal goes solid in the middle of travel, then goes so loose that the pedal bangs against the floor he feels could be pressure plate problem