ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams or 106 GTi, 306 GTi-6, VTS

not sure although i doubt id get a williams or vts. vts i would rule out because of the unfortunate image saxos have along with the fact having driven both i felt the 106 handled better. Williams purely on the grounds that it would probably be a pain in the ass finding a good one that the current owner wouldnt take the piss on price when selling it. out of the 106 and 306 i found the 106 worse to fit into but hated the dashboard on the 360. Both are a good drive though.

Lee

BMW M2C

Id have to go for the 306 GTi-6. Having owned one for me thats got the best chassis of all the above and the engine pulls hard through all the gears. Youll love being able to drop from 6th to 5th on the motorway when rep mobile is sat up your arse. You should easily find a decent one too.

The Id go 106. GTi. Nice but I found the pedal box a bit cramped. After that Id go for the VTS.

Personally Id not bother looking at a Williams. Youll have a hard time finding a "mint" one and if you do youll pay a premium for it. But then again, if you did find a true minter you wouldnt lose much when you came to sell it provided it was still in as good nick.

Theres some pics of my 6 on my website.

don't

vts, no due to image, although they are soo cheap now

williams no due to age

306 and 106 both similar performance wise, im stuck between them

although apparently the 306 likes to drink petrol a fair bit so i would say 106 gti personally, could also add punto GT to the list, same kind of price and performance

Been using the 106 a lot lately, and its still growing on me. Really fun car to chuck about and drive in general.

VTS i imagine is the same as above.

We all know about the Williams, its a legend, enough said.

Now, ive not driven a GTi-6, but out of all the cars above i think this would be the one to go for. They go for sensible money, plently of power and a nice 6-speed box for motorway cruising. Leather and plently of room unlike the others that get a bit cramped(especially 106). The one to go for IMO.

Nissan Jewk

106 gti, handles like its on rails, get a yellow one and stick black wheels on!

renaultsport clio 182

306 and 106 both great cars to drive,never had a problem with my 306 even though it was a xsi.

Clio 200 Cup packed

What: 306 GTI-6

Why: coz of that little number 6, sweet sweet gearbox, ALL cars should have that box!

Id buy the 306 Rallye same engine as the GTI-6

Slightly quicker compared to the GTI-6 due to the weight reduction unless you fancy a few toys.

As a previous owner of a 106 I would recommend the Rallye again but finding a decent one will be very hard. Handling is great and the 1.6 8V TU engine was very responsive - why oh why did I sell mine. Actually now Ive 70 more bhp and all the toys what am I on about...!!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Ive always fancied a 106 gti.

williams is the only one on that list ive driven, its a nice car.

Williams or maybe Gti-6. Ive driven a 106 and found the steering rediculously light and the pedal area was so cramped i couldnt get the accelerator all the way to the floor...VTS is probably the same.

306 GTI-6!, the best car i have ever owned.

Take a test drive in one, best overall package of performance and handling. Stay away from the saxos - bad image (chavs)

don't

i wanted gti-6 as nxt car till their forum said petrol is usually 70 miles to £10 and they are expensive to maintain alot of the time :-(

although may still go down that route :)

Clio 200 Cup

106 gti easily. Yes equipment levels arent high and the interior is basic to say the least, but the handling is absolutely sublime. The 306 gti drinks fuel like an artic and has the turning circle of a noble m12, the vts.........is a saxo, and as said above, could prove tricky finding a mint williams. 106 gti everytime for me ;)

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer

5 turbo!- Its expensive, constaly breaks down, weak head gaskets, blown turbos, there quite old and they drink petrol! ----------why isnt it on the list?
mind you its a little go kart!! worth every tow to garage!

oh sh*t wassnt on list

in which case steer clear of saxos erghghghghghghghgh

106 is nice but is slowly getting th saxo image!

Williams is amazing but youll pay for the priveledge in price and fuel and Insurance.

306 GTI-6 is one of the nicest cars ive ever had the priveledge to drive. slightly larger quite tuneable and is shockingly good on the twisties!

i know what id have if i had a choice..................5 tur.......sh*t.......Williams then!

VaVa

Depends what ou want from the car. Id say Williams for pure driving pleasure. But if you want something newer, more reliable and just as capable it has to be the 306 Gti-6. I had a 2001 Dturbo (same suspension set up, inc passive rear wheel steer) and that still ranks as one of the nicest handling cars Ive ever driven.

As loony said, youll pay a premium to get a decent Williams that doesnt need any work doin to it. You may become hooked if you drive one though!!

106 Gti/VTS are little screamers but are made from paper and held tofether with spit.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by DAVE_RSi on 01 February 2005
i wanted gti-6 as nxt car till their forum said petrol is usually 70 miles to £10 and they are expensive to maintain alot of the time :-( although may still go down that route :)

Id forgotten all about that, it did drink petrol. But had such a nice exhaust note.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member

williams to old

106, too pricy for what it is

306 gti-6 quite pricy + last ones made were 4.5 years ago.

would have to be a vts for me, £5k gets you one that is 3yrs old with 18k on the clock, too good a value not to go for it! although the image attaches a rather large stigma!

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Matt Williams 2 on 01 February 2005

Williams too old my arse.

Saxo yeah thats a better car if your 12.

:mad:
lol.. dont take it personally. Its only a car and its only a matter of opinion!!

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 01 February 2005 at 12:25pm]

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member

i could not justify spending 4k on a car that is 10 years old, i love the look and always wanted one its just well they are too old really which ever way you look at it. most of em have been hammered and have over 60k on em. if you bought a williams you must have a lot of faith you aint gettin a sh*t one cos they are alot of moeny for what they are. not saying you shouldnt buy one, just IMO pennys in the bank and knowing i made the right decision would be better.

BMW E46 330i Touring

106 GTi for me, although I am also tempted by the GTi-6. Rarer than the rest and you find that they will have covered a lot of their miles on motorways.

Im a small car person though so 106 GTi. Ill be getting mine in June!

Thanks for the comments guys. I do like newer cars but I hate the image that the VTS has. It is unfortunate. It is the right age, price and has good performance but I dont think I could buy one because of that image.

I am swaying towards the 306 out of that list so far. Will have to test drive one.

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

I would have the 306. Been in a slightly modded one and they are fast. Plus every time yu change gear your be loving the six speed box. Or the VTS. Personally dont think they have a bad image. Just the VTR has a chav image. Very rarely see VTSs, and because of this rareness i think they have not aquired the image of the VTR.

tiTTy & SV650

VTS is a good wee motor but I think everyone will assume its just another VTR.

106gti looks a bit different at least, youre hardly gonna assume its a quicksilver are you?!

GTI 6 would be a blast, or a Rallye or S16 even depending on how much you have to spend.

Remapped derv Golf

Well im not speaking from personnel experance but every mag article rates the 106 GTi higher. Dont ask me why?

I heard that its because the GTi doesnt have that lift off twich on the limit.

I only think the early VTSs look like VTRs.

Although saying that my ph2 VTR had the rear head rests - all it needed was the 15s and the badges. Of course the extra 22bhp would have been nice too.:)

I had a Black GTI-6 from new very nice car put a full magnex system on it twin head light conversion (peugeot) . It was a beast, great drive and lovely car on motorway only downside was the turning circle which was as good as sea ferry .... I would love to know where it is now Reg was R69 KFR if anyone knows ..

clio 200 F4Rt

106 and saxo are identical cars, same chassis, same suspension, same engine, eveything.

its just cosmetic differences. i have a track day saxo VTS, on throttle bodies, roll cage, grp N suspension etc etc, and it is an amazing car, out handles 95% of stuff on track days, and goes pretty well in a straight line too!!

gti6 is a nice car, but hard to find a total minter.

clio, not really experienced one, but getting a bit old now?!?!

The 306 S16 became the 16v XSi. The Raylle and GTi-6 were quicker by a fair margin IIRC. Could be wrong.

Does the 106 not suffer from "I dont have a left foot" syndrome, where there is no room to rest your foot other than on the clutch pedal? The original XSi certainly did, and I cant imagine it was ever changed. That alone would put me off the 106.

Having owned a 306 XSi (8v) I think Id have to go for the GTi-6 from this list of options. The Williams IF I knew I was getting a minter.

106 GTi

The S16 was 155 bhp using the old mi 16 derived engine.

Xsi 16v was a detuned gti 6 lump.