ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

williams or 306 Gti6

206 1.4 16v sport

anyone driven/owned both can advise their opinions on which they prefered.

got a good example of each lined up to buy - but cant decide.

williams 150bhp - looks good/semi classic status

gti6 167bhp - more power/ more tuning potential/and newer for same money.

oh decisions/decisions

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Interesting choice - personally i would go for the williams hands down - (you do realise this could be the majority of peoples choice as its on a clio site!)

Driven a GTI 6 - very nice motors indeed, leather interior and other in car reinfinements. Performance is good and but would not beat the williams.

Williams - more of a hardcore hothatch than the gti6 much more fun down the twisties and looks a hell of a lot better as well.

Williams my friend and I am DEFFO biased :)

Williams = Class, fun, rare, head turner, fast enough, etc...etc....

Pug = S.S.D.D.

Your choice and best wishes with the choice you make.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by woodside on 13 November 2002

oh decisions/decisions

GTI-6 also more weight and worse fuel consumption which is also worth thinking about!!!

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by ReNWiLL on 13 November 2002

Williams my friend and I am DEFFO biased :)

Williams = Class, fun, rare, head turner, fast enough, etc...etc....

Pug = S.S.D.D.

Your choice and best wishes with the choice you make.
Mate you are back

Good on Ya you made the right choice !

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3

Well seeing as the Williams is voted by many as the number 1 "ultimate hot hatch" its gotta be the willy :)

Hmmm, the clios build quality lets it down massively. Although the pugs arent great!

For a second car, the williams everytime. For an everday car that costs less in parts, a more comfortable ride and the potential for more power much more easily then the GTI-6.

Well whoever said that the williams is quicker is telling fibs here :eek: as the GTI-6 is the quicker of the 2.

Now, before owning the scoob i had only ever owned 2 marques of cars, Renault and Peugeot. Having owned 2 GTi-6s you may think me bias but i also owned a 19 16v, which wasnt a bad car to be honest with you, but the mailto:cr@p">cr@p gearbox, heavy clutch, lack of low down power, no abs etc wasnt much fun.

Now this is the story of me buying my first GTi-6. and to think i only went down to look at one. Well, id owned the 19 16v from new and it had 48k on the clock in 4 yrs, went for a test drive in a GTi-6 and all ill say is that its much better to drive, the williams is a quick car but suffers the same fate as the 19 16v and the clio 16v do, heavy cluch, naff gearbox.

Buy the GTi-6, it is a better all round car and anyone who thinks they cannot handle hasnt driven it properly ;) it is a match for a williams, there would be nothing in it on the road or on a track, that i can guarentee you.

Tony

My mates GTi-6 is very slightly quicker in a straight line despite being heavier (new transmissions make a lot of difference), looks a whole lot nicer inside, sounds better, is roomier, fairly similar handling bit more adjustment on throttle, brakes are amazing, gearbox quite long throw, great seating position, ridiculous turning circle, no guages ;). But then it cost 8k with 45k on the clock and my Williams cost £4300 with 58k on the clock. The williams is a bit more exclusive if you care about that sort of thing and the gti-6 a bit more Q-car. Both are great cars but I didnt want a pug because of all the S-16s/xsis/gti-6s that my mates have. On the road they cover ground at a fairly similar pace excluding my mates dubious overtakes! Whatever you choose you wont go wrong both are as good a front wheel drive car as I have driven.

close run thing, id agree that it just depends what you want from the car. i had an s16 which was a top motor but had its problems (coils and radiators/hoses). handling was awesome though. if you want rarity, what about a 306 rallye? cheap too. i looked at a t plate with 30k last year for only 6 grand. id have bought it but it had had 4 owners which put me off.

pugboy

Quote: Originally posted by woodside on 13 November 2002

oh decisions/decisions
Simple if you want to be a bad boy buy the willy, but if you want a real car one that actually stays on the road ;) buy the GTI6, its far superior in every way possible and cheaper to insure.

Anders,

For what you get performance wise out of the rallye its better to go for the GTi-6, its just as good a car, its more luxurious and the a/c is great in summer ;)

Tony

Williams 2, STi N12

Ahh come on are you a driver or what?? Its lighter, faster and in my opinion far more desireable, you dont get the middle aged housewifes bored out of their tree popping down to Sainsburys in a Rallye do ya??

I drive my Williams every day but when I drove the Rallye it just handles sooo much better.

206 1.4 16v sport

cheers for the replies

hasnt made the decision any easier tho -

wasnt life simpler (not necesarily better) when all you could afford was a naff runabout - it was whatever you could get for £500 or less.

I thought all replies would be for the Williams - but good to get honest opinions on both

Quote: Originally posted by Anders on 14 November 2002

I drive my Williams every day but when I drove the Rallye it just handles sooo much better.
At last, someone whos prepared to admit that Peugeots handle so much better the Renaults!

1.4 Fiesta!!!

Ive always wondered :confused: what is the actual difference between a GTI-6 and the Rallye? Is the Rallye stripped out a bit to lighten the car, make it quicker, and give better handling?

Also I would have thought the Willy would have been quicker in a straight line. GTI-6 0-60 is just over 8 secs and the williams is about 7.5. Not sure but I think thats right??

Personally Id go for the 306 GTI-6. I used to have a 306 XSI, which is similar and I loved it, wish I hadnt sold it actually. :cry:

One more thing, the Williams will hold its value more than the 306. Used 306 prices have dropped quite badly even the GTI, and they will continue to do so.

TT 225

Eek -Ive driven the 306 Rallye and of course I own the Williams

The thing that the only thing that persuaded me was down to the looks in the end. The GTi6 (and Rallye) look just the same as a normal 306... and i dont think they look that great

Oh, and the fact i got the Willy for 3k less than the cheapest decent GTi6 :D

Bloody hell spengy your right the 306 GTI6s are are going for 106 GTI money around the £5k mark, perhaps this is testamount to how good the 106 GTIs are or perhaps the 2nd hand market has dropped, again....

go for a williams big bash, and then find a bird with a 306 gti and give her a big willy bashing. lol

sorry.

:oops: I hang my head in shame for saying such a thing. Apologies all.

/y0z

To turn a gti-6 into a rallye just leave your steering lock at home, the rallye is just down air con and nice seats, saves 10kgs looks minging. Nice stickers down the side though!!! They werent that much cheaper than the gti-6s when I looked, got that motorsport not buying it for the air-con image that costs. Same geometry, springs dampers etc. Old GTI-6s (the 5k ones) cost as much if not more than williams to run, Ive heard a lot of horror stories about those heads especially when not looked after. Its easier to buy a williams from an enthusiast who hasnt ragged it from cold every day. If you have 8k buy a gti-6, 5k get a clio it will be minter for the money as it is less desirable being an older design. What do you mean by handles better? They have similar levels of grip and are both very similar once you surpass the grip, the 306 a bit more adjustable on the throttle the williams less likely to spin for mooks like me who get scared and lift off. Turn in is very good in both cars and both have a nice neutral stance (not the saxo/205 about to spin feeling). I would have rather had a GTI-6 for the added new factor but couldnt afford anything but the early high milers so I bought a Williams and to be honest I only regret it when trying to get tall people in the back and when people at work ask me why I have got gold wheels.

Clio 172 cup

Even better buy a rear ended gti 6 from a breakers and get yourself a decent 205 shell take the whole lot to Ecosse in bonnie scotland and with a spare 3 grand you could have yourself a 205 gti 6 or you could just be sensible like me and buy yourself a decent williams;)

Jim

Rik,

i went from a 19 16v (owned from new) to a pug 306 GTi-6 and you cannot compare them..... like i have said, the williams along with the 19 16v and the clio 16v suffered the same fate by having the same heavy clutches and notchy gearboxes, the 306 was a total delight to drive in comparison and it had TORQUE low down (you could feel the car pull in 4th from 25mph! something my 19 16v wasnt capable of).

The Wiliams is exclusive, that i will say but the 306 is just a nicer car to live with and fun to drive fast (and doesnt sound thrashy as hell once you get going, it just retains its sound, just gets deeper though ;))

Tony

mk2 172

i raced one a while ago and wiped my arse on it, i was carrying a passenger to. id hardly say its as fast as a willy.

craggy

Craggy,

they are actually quicker due to the slick 6 speed box, power to weight matters if your up against a 5 speed car in a 5 speed car (thus the civic type r is so quick, its the gearbox and close ratios that keep it in the power band).

A 306 GTi-6 is actually quicker to 60 than a williams and also quicker to 100mph, pound for pound though it would be hard pressed to prove on the road as both would be evenly matched (virtually) but in gear the 306 having a 6 speed box would be quicker.

Tony