ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

williams problems PLEASE HELP!!!!

Clio 172 cup

basically i have a problem with the williams at the moment, its seems to have started to idle incredibly low about 700rpm and sometimes when i come to a junction the engine stops :confused: also when i slow right down for sharp corners the headlights dim!!!

God knows why it has started doing this, i have recently changed the battery and spark plugs and i am thinking that its maybe the different spark plugs causing this???

when i changed the plugs the OLD ones i took OUT had 3 electrodes these were

Champion EYQUEM RFC57LS3

I have replaced the above plugs with

NGK BKR6EK

These plugs only have 2 electrodes, the car was running ok when i put these in but the idle speed has been getting progressivly slower and slower! :(

So i thought it might be a good idea to put some Champion plugs back in and noticed that on the rocker cover it tells you the standard plugs to use on a williams is

Champion RC7BMC

so i bought a set of these and put them in BUT with these in the car runs like a bag of sh*t and on road testing it the engine spluttered really badly and the exhaust banged and back fired, on tick over it sounded like a scooby more than a williams, so i have put the ngk plugs back in for now

What plugs are best to use???

people who have a williams, do your plugs have 2 or 3 electrodes?

what else could be causing my lights to dim and the idle speed to have dropped???

Do my spark plugs have anything to do with the idle speed???

Please help someone?? BenR?? any ideas??

Jim

BMW 320d Sport

I think its something more serious than the plugs youre using, sounds more like the alternator, battery or associated wiring is knackered. Or at least thats the first port of call. Idling problems can be caused by so many different things Im not even gonna go into it here.

BTW RC7BMC will work fine, the Eyquiem plugs are the factory ones AFAIK and you can buy them for about £1.50 apiece from the German, Swedish and French catalogue. BKR6EK is the NGK alternative. Some people swear by NGK, some like Champion, I personally dont really care one way or the other, as long as they fire the mixture properly and Ive never had any trouble with Bosch or Champion, in a normal F7 engine, in the same engine using a 100 shot of nitrous and now its turbocharged running 15psi boost, still no trouble.

the NGK plus are fine, and the heat range is correct, although some will argue over the 7 and 6 range for willys and 16vs. But i stick to NGKs (their specific heat ranges are wider) and the 2 electrode is the norm on these engines.

The plugs shouldnt be causing your running problem.

Check the ICV or speed sender behind the dash, these are usually the culprits to idle problems.

Clio 172 cup

Hmmmmm, well its definately not the battery as ive just changed that so maybe it could be the alternator, but if it was the alternator wouldnt the battery warning light come on?