ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WILLIAMS STEERING GONE TIGHT ON ME, HELP!!!

2010 focus Rs
I just brought my williams 3 today and all was fine when driving home untill i got to a few bends from home and it now feels like i have no power steering and a whine/pump noise comes from the steering wheel area now, i poped hood to find some had been spilling out resiviour but lid was tight and its between min and max mark??? so im now thinking its poss the pump am i right??
be handy if you can help please

S2000
It does sound like something to do with the pump. Is it staying between the min and max all the time? Have a look underneath the car to see if you can spot anything leaking aswell.

2010 focus Rs
nothing else is leaking! its staying in the minimum maximum, does the williams have a valve that tightens the steering when going at speed to stop movement?? i heard someone say before im sure, could it be that ?

Never heard that before.

Keep an eye on the fluid level. Should be just on top of the sticky-up bits in the reservoir I think, though some have said that you can add more and it quietens down nicely.

2010 focus Rs
i knew it was quite heavy when i was test driving it but after being on the motorway for a while then hit a few bends it just gave up and no way is it power steering now, heavy as in there litually is no PAS, im thinking change it then go from there i think, cheers for your help lads:)

S2000
Tbh I've not fiddled about with the power steering on any of my clios so can't really help you too much. In future it might be worth you while asking on williamsclio.co.uk and clio16valver.co.uk as well as here as they are both Mk1 sites and have a lot more mk1 knowledge.

williams 2 turbo
check the pipe work from the resovoir to behind the rad, then through to the rack, i had this and it was a leaking pipe. bugger to fix, but i had a turbo in the way. did you buyit from a garage?. if so take it back.

2010 focus Rs
cool i will have a look at that pipe today, no i didnt buy from a garage private sale, its annoying because it didnt do it when i took it out for test drive f**king thing lol

2010 focus Rs
but how much money do you spend on her? and servicing it up ? cant be cheap to run, whats the stats as in the 60 dash and top end youve had??

If the pressure in the system has gone due to a leak or break in the line you will definitely know about it. The steering wheel will be so heavy that it requires a fair amount of effort to park it, more than a manual.

If no fluid is leaking from any of the joints and the reservoir level is ok, then I would have to agree that the pump is most likely stuffed.

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
If tha aux belt is facked or loose it affects the steering, also I the tensioner,idler pulley can become seized.