ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Willy gear knob

trabant,

I usually drive with my left hand on my knob and after a few years it has worn away at the top. I wish to replace it now with a new one. can someone tell me how to get the old one off please?

with alot of brute force.....it basically stuck fast on there with industrial epoxy resin......

you cna twist off the knob to be left with a white plastic cap over teh gear shaft, which i guess you can glue the new willy one to.

Clio 197

Mine came off quite easily and I was left with a knurled metal bit. I just jammed the new one down on it. Didnt bother with any glue and it seems to be just fine. I suppose if it works loose Ill hit it with a little epoxy.

Clio 197

And you really should only touch the knob whilst changing gear.

Without realising you can be exerting force on it which really is not a good thing and besides you should have that hand on the wheel...

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

This works if you are fitting a genuine replacement knob.

Hacksaw the old one off, top to bottom!, mind the reverse gear pawl, cut down to the metal part, remove all the plastic remaining, does the job nicely - but be careful!

DONT HAMMER the new knob in place otherwise you will destroy the lower plastic ball joint. To fit the new knob, push down with all your weight and twist as it goes on, bugger to do but better than wrecking your stick with a hammer!

Bob RTE

;)

trabant,

Cheers guys, now considering repainting the gear positions on top of the knob where they have worn off. Agree its a bad habit holding my knob all the time! Must make a new years resolution to leave my knob alone.

Trog, dunno if this helps but leigh was able to get new willy knobs a few months ago...........and yes it is a sod to remove!!

chuckie

if its like the valver, dont u have a platic insert on the top of the knob which has the print on?? if so cant u just replace that?

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

Unfortunatly you cant just buy that top plastic bit , it comes complete with the gear knob !! However if ya want one give me a shout !! I should be able to get them still !!

honda accord 2.4 type s

Was very impressed with the one Leigh got for me a while back. All i did was swap the inserts over and stick it down with a bit of glue and some blu-tack!!

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

Yer i can still get em !! £15.00 inc p&p !!

If ya want one the email me at mailto:leighfeltham@aol.com">leighfeltham@aol.com

I accept anyones beer tokens !!;)