ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

willy vs vts videos

If anyone in the Bristol area with a 16v or Willy would like to retest Craggys results then let me know.

Different drivers, different cars...

Same result?

;)

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

i wouldnt mind a race against Craggy some time, need a new suspension top mount first though, if Renault ever get it in :cry:

Whats the spec on a valver cos that HDI is only 118bhp but does have 228lbft of torque. :eek:

I would still put my money on the valver as its not loads slower than the VTS and a VTS IS loads faster than a HDI!

I rest my case...

Peugeot 306 2.0HDi 90 D Turbo (sr) Hatchback 3d 1997cc

Fuel system
Type
Diesel

Delivery
Direct Injection

Catalyst

Aspiration
Turbocharged

Engine data
Capacity (cc)

Power (bhp)

Cylinders

Camshaft
SOHC

Valves per cylinder

Performance data
Max speed (mph)

0-60 mph
13.0 secs

Kerb Weight (kg)

Max Torque
151 lb/ft
@ 1900 rpm

Tank Capacity (litres)

Faster than a valver, Id eat my own arse! ;)

clio 20v

i once had a 306 hdi hire car for a day i think i would have noticed if it had any kind of performance dont ya think

that 118bhp is at about 4000 revs too there useless after that while a valver is just geting goin

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Check his sig though:

Peugeot 306 HDI
118bhp at 3752rpm
228lbft of torque.

Bhp wouldnt worry me but thats a lot of torque.

hes got all that torque but the engine just dont rev! the power really dies after 4000 rpm !! ther just not fast cars...and they sound like JCBs !

silver valver/hybrid

my mate has one of those 306 diesel turbos, one night whilst driving home i saw some headlights right on my bumper so i dropped it to second and absolutley annialated him! it was uphill too. i got home and a couple of minutes later he pulled up and asked me if i knew it was him behind me, i had no idea i thought it was just some tit been arsey!

Eric 16v: Im in Bristol and am willing to oblige - in the name of science of course!

My car wont be back on the road for a week yet, but Im very keen to see what the difference is. Im running standard wheels. Ill see if I can get Lofty in on this too (has a 2.0 converted 16v).

See you soon?:D

mk2 172

coolspot, funny you should say that as i was thinking today your next on my hitlist, a stage 2 valver without your nos on. that should be a nice test.:)

craggy

<A name=post272355><A name=newpost> neil chalton
PGAC Member

http://www.peugeot-gti.net/forums/showthread.php?postid=272355#post272355UPost #3/U

quote:

Originally posted by 16v
i heard them Hdis couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding!!

you just upset I kicked his arse and it wasnt the first time a 16v has fallen victim. I have 228lbs of torque @ 2100rpm to get me off the line. Every time I race one I get about a cars lengh before they wake up. My 3rd does bog and that is were he caught me up he only justy beat me to 60mph but I had to change to 3rd at 50mph. I caught him end of 3rd and could have passed him in 4th no problems. My HDI will out corner the 16v any day even with the 18s on but when I raced this 16v I was running 15s at the time. Plus before you start saying that he wasnt trying, you can tell when a 16v is trying because the induction starts to scream.

Think what you want but it is a fact I kicked his @rse.

Just wait to the intercooler is fitted a 16v aint going to touch me, 160bhp with 300+lbs of torque.

Sorry to ruin your day but the truth hurts

18" Dare V2 with 215/35/18
E-mail mailto:neil.chalton@ntlworld.com">U color=#000020 neil.chalton@ntlworld.com/U
MSN neilchalton@msn.com

http://www.peugeot-gti.net/forums/report.php?s=4102f9a564279fe9f0316d5ccb5f5d73&postid=272355

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Any comments?

<A name=post272375> neil chalton
PGAC Member

http://www.peugeot-gti.net/forums/showthread.php?postid=272375#post272375UPost #9/U

quote:

Originally posted by 16v
No ill just put the record straight ...HDIs CANT pull the skin off a rice pudding!

i recon it would be great to plough a field tho!

What ever, I have proven the 16v arnt that quick and my mate used to own one and got bored and got 172 and he says my HDI is quick. My missis old Mk2 astra SRi did 16v no probs as well. The Clios just make alot of noise

it just gets better! ASTA SRIs now!

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Craggy ill have my CDA induction kit on by the end of next week, possibly a boost valve at the end of the month. But power mods as is stands are: Hill Power stage 2, Hill power decat, custom stainless straight through centre section, Piper 4" slash cut back box. Oh one small thing, I aint racing down the wrong side of the bloody road - no, oh heres a bus , moments for me thanks.

clio 20v

lol evry 1 was fightin for the wrong side of the road cos it looked the most dry

it makes it more interestin hehe

ill be up for it too see how me new engine does and ill definately be back on 15s

adi

Ive just spent ages on there and most of them seem to see that indeed, a HDi would get murdered by a proper hot hatch like the 16v. But the guy who says he destroys 16vs on there reckons he has 160bhp from his 90bhp HDi by fitting a chip, BMC airbox and exhaust!!! WTF!!!!???

To be honest craggy, i think you must admit that the williams you raced was not a hot one, it odesnt make sense. i am now the first to admit that a VTS will beat me but want to go side-by-side against one. just to make sure:D.

Also, i have raceed a 306 1.9diesel turbo, at a cruise, on a drag strip. it was ridiculous how much i beat him by. by the end of first gear i had enough room to pull over infront of him. they are very slow.VERY slow

clio 20v

think rhys has probably got more mechanical sympathy in his shiny new car

if craggy breaks the gear lever off and drops second gear on the road he jus goes bak to citreon and they giv him a new one

most willys on the rr day were makin 135-140 @ wheels with mild mods

LOL the VTS vs Willie videos only tell you one thing -

THAT VTS was driven Quicker than THAT Williams.

You can work out the power to weight ratio yourself and see the should be about equal with maybe the williams edging it. You cannot assume that all VTSs are suddenly faster than all willies.

My last car - a fiesta RS Turbo was nippy until a 1.6 205 gti kept up with it, then my sisters RS1800 was slightly faster. I fitted a boost gauge only to find I was running 3 psi instead of 7. So I got a chip fitted and ran 14 psi. How many cars nailed me while running on only 3 I can only guess - probably a 306 HDI included. While running 14 psi i was keeping up with classic shape scoobies no problem.

The willie would have to RRs to find out its running OK, at 88,000 miles and only just bought its a bad comparason. Even then the driver is the most important part.

mk2 172

that williams is 8100 miles, my williams is 85 and goes like f**k, they go well over a hundred thousand without power loss. ill just keep bangin in the results

Zafira and GSXR

Quote: Originally posted by FunkyASFunk on 26 January 2003

<A name=post272375> neil chalton
PGAC Member

http://www.peugeot-gti.net/forums/showthread.php?postid=272375#post272375UPost #9/U

quote:

Originally posted by 16v
No ill just put the record straight ...HDIs CANT pull the skin off a rice pudding!

i recon it would be great to plough a field tho!

What ever, I have proven the 16v arnt that quick and my mate used to own one and got bored and got 172 and he says my HDI is quick. My missis old Mk2 astra SRi did 16v no probs as well. The Clios just make alot of noise

it just gets better! ASTA SRIs now!
Thats funny over on the PGAC I have got 118bhp, gained 42bhp between sites:D

Well, Ive already said it isnt running okay. It needs to go back to have the exhaust system looked at as it is making nasty blowing noises (which was supposed to have been fixed). It should be RRd soon so I will be able to see if there is anything untoward power wise. Also remember that Im not used to that sort of driving...I like to go and drive round twisty peak district roads which doesnt require full throttle gear changes. Craggy lives in Donny and races people round those roads all the time. Oh yes, Id also had the car just 24 hours at that point and these things do take some getting used to. I have no idea where peak power in a Willy is and where is the best point to change gear. In a couple of those clips I changed waaaaay to early and Craggy goes flying past. As Carlos mentions, the driver is an important part. A few weeks getting used to the car and a fixed exhaust system, and who knows.... ;)

BMW 320d Sport

I skipped a lot of this thread but all I can say are three things: firstly, having taken a passenger ride with him in the Willy, Craggy drives like a nutter and will get the best out of any car on the street. OK he might destroy the gearbox doing it but thats the price you pay!

Secondly, Ive always said the VTS and 16v were a good match, and IMHO its very much down to the driver, they might not have the same power but at normal everyday speeds theyre very close. Obviously everyones so caught up with power to weight ratios, it never occurred to them that the VTS is short geared compared to the valver or Willy. Not surprising seeing as nowadays 0-60 is much more of a benchmark in the new hot hatch leagues, thats what everyone looks at. To be honest, considering the ease with which you can lose your licence at 100mph + speeds it makes sense for a manufacturer to optimise the final drive for acceleration off the line even if it hasnt got the legs at 125mph! Just a thought.

Thirdly the 306 HDi is slow. It was being driven hard but I was still pushing this 306 along the A12 just the other day... In my FIAT TIPO 1.4 FORMULA. If an HDI ever beat a valver or Willy its cos the driver was asleep and parked up in a layby.

Zafira and GSXR

still dishing diesels, I have raced a couple of 16v and never lost

sorry to wreck your dreams.

wake up.

All said, the 306 HDi is a good torquey engine wrapped in a fine chassis. But a 16v beater it aint.

Although its diffcult, there are a few 16v replicas out there with the bonnet bulge and large front arches. Otherwise, all I can think of was that the car in question was a new-shape Mk2 Clio, which have "16v" written on their doors as theyre 1.2 16vs.

Zafira and GSXR

I raced a couple of slight tuned 16v cat back systems and induction kits.

they only just beat me to 60mph but that is because I had to change into 3rd at 50mph but end of 3rd and beginning of 4th I cought him up. We exited a roundabout which I held back on and as we powered off I managed to pass him through 4th grear and he couldnt catch me up. We did get past 100mph where he proberely would have cought me up.

That is what I am saying so take the piss all you want but it is the truth.

Zafira and GSXR

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 26 January 2003

All said, the 306 HDi is a good torquey engine wrapped in a fine chassis. But a 16v beater it aint.

Although its diffcult, there are a few 16v replicas out there with the bonnet bulge and large front arches. Otherwise, all I can think of was that the car in question was a new-shape Mk2 Clio, which have "16v" written on their doors as theyre 1.2 16vs.
I know what clio 16v looks and sounds like my mate had one for years which he chopped in for a 172.