ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windows 10 Now live!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I've managed to break the W10 upgrade process to the point where now it's actually telling me I can upgrade, it won't actually download properly (and can't force it with the media tool anymore)
I wouldn't advise downgrading given that it has no interest in letting you upgrade again, think the registry is borked somewhere
Windows Update thinks it's stuck at 64%, in reality the files aren't there

I've managed to break the W10 upgrade process to the point where now it's actually telling me I can upgrade, it won't actually download properly (and can't force it with the media tool anymore)
I wouldn't advise downgrading given that it has no interest in letting you upgrade again, think the registry is borked somewhere
Windows Update thinks it's stuck at 64%, in reality the files aren't there

#Skittles

On another note, wonder if it'll work if you download the Win10 ISO and try that route? I had to do it that way in the end as trying to force it to see I could upgrade never worked.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
#Skittles

On another note, wonder if it'll work if you download the Win10 ISO and try that route? I had to do it that way in the end as trying to force it to see I could upgrade never worked.
I was going to, then the FixIt I found to make Windows Update started making the download work again, just very slowly. We'll see if it a) gets anywhere and b) finds one of the 3 NICs this time

I was going to, then the FixIt I found to make Windows Update started making the download work again, just very slowly. We'll see if it a) gets anywhere and b) finds one of the 3 NICs this time

A colleague at work had something possibly similar with no network connections - he said they looked fine in device manager (correct drivers), but would never connect (both a wifi and ethernet connection) - the fix was specifically to do with WiFi, but also fixed his ethernet port!

There's iirc a registry key you need to remove, cant' remember what it is, but if it's the same issue google should bring it up ^^

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Chaps - has anyone actually got the process of keeping hold of the Windows 10 install files and running a fresh install from them? Like an ISO file or bootable media creator?

If I run that Media Creation Tool again, now that Windows 10 is installed - will it just create a fresh version on the media?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
If i do download this, is it an "upgrade" version, or as above (think thats what Darren is asking) could I install it from a Reformatted hard drive?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Well it recognises the NICs this time, it seems to have no concept of a graphics card though which isn't helpful.
NVidia driver update fixed that. Now to see what else is wrong with it.

Correct. It is hard to word lol... but yes, if you upgrade within the first year, it's free forever. You might have issues if you change HDD etc. though because it basically ties your Windows 7/8 key to your Windows 10 installation.
Isn't it tied in to a key in the BIOS? That's what I've always thought. May have issues when you swap out the motherboard though.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
If i do download this, is it an "upgrade" version, or as above (think thats what Darren is asking) could I install it from a Reformatted hard drive?

If you run it - it is the full blown version, not a mere upgrade option. But, I'd like to start afresh without my prior Windows 7 existing 'underneath' so to speak. I do get quite fussy with things like that. ;)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Yeah same, if I install it I want it installed from a formatted hard drive.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Seeing quite a few little issues... something new every day lol. But I can forgive them, after all they did bring the release day forward 3 months so I think we're all beta testing a little bit!

As for today's issue... well Cortana has disappeared lol.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Chaps - has anyone actually got the process of keeping hold of the Windows 10 install files and running a fresh install from them? Like an ISO file or bootable media creator?

If I run that Media Creation Tool again, now that Windows 10 is installed - will it just create a fresh version on the media?

Yes, you do the upgrade, then run the upgrade tool again and select the create media option. You can then do a clean install. You must upgrade first and make sure win 10 is activated or your clean install won't be recognised as genuine. When it asks you for the product key during the install just skip that step. Bit convoluted but it works.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yes, you do the upgrade, then run the upgrade tool again and select the create media option. You can then do a clean install. You must upgrade first and make sure win 10 is activated or your clean install won't be recognised as genuine. When it asks you for the product key during the install just skip that step. Bit convoluted but it works.
Nice one m8. I think that's a job for me tomorrow then. :up:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Oh think I'll do that at some point to then, just hope my laptop runs it, it's well old.

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
Update, had a few random crashes where I've just been watching YouTube or something. Completely locks up, literally have to hard reset. Twice afterwards its installed some Windows Updates on restart. Has never done it to me on 7/8.1 either

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR

This was the first thing I did when I downloaded Windows 10.

Didn't work! Instead it reinstalled Windows 8 (I was on Windows 8.1 before) then it required 150 updates before it'd attempt downloading Windows 10 again.

Overall took me just over 5 hours to get to where I wanted to be lol. I love Microsoft... but sometimes I really hate Microsoft.

Impreza RB5 #054
Upgraded to windows 10 a few days ago, it was working fine until today, it's now stuck on the boot up process saying there is a fault please restart computer, I restart it and it just takes me to the same screen, there is a system restore option but when I try to restore it tells me there are no restore points, although I know there is because I made one when I first upgraded to 10.
Haven't a clue where to go from here.

Seeing quite a few little issues... something new every day lol. But I can forgive them, after all they did bring the release day forward 3 months so I think we're all beta testing a little bit!

As for today's issue... well Cortana has disappeared lol.
I had one laptop on Friday with the Cortana issue. It prevented the start menu from opening, and had a 'critical error' message.

I restated it several times, logged out/in a free times and ran sfc /scannow in cmd. That fixed it for me.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
had 10 on my pc for 2 or 3 days and didn't like, duplicate folders of stuff in different places and could remove the dup folder and it was slower when browsing. Got sick and now back to 7.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
This was the first thing I did when I downloaded Windows 10.

Didn't work! Instead it reinstalled Windows 8 (I was on Windows 8.1 before) then it required 150 updates before it'd attempt downloading Windows 10 again.

Overall took me just over 5 hours to get to where I wanted to be lol. I love Microsoft... but sometimes I really hate Microsoft.

Thats really weird. (I'm just full of helpful comments ;) )

More details on the process here:
http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/20...n-install-of-windows-10-from-windows-7-and-8/

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
What if I've deleted the upgrade tool (GWX.exe), can I still create a bootable install CD?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Had a right nightmare today, Bluetooth completely died. Couldn't get it back via disabling/enabling driver or reinstalling it altogether... or via Services. Gave in and opted for a restore, which then got stuck on a continuous cycle of booting to BSOD then resetting itself.

Had to resort to downloading Windows 10 to USB on my girlfriends laptop then booting from that which eventually worked. Another 5 hours down the drain!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure if this has been mentioned - but for three times on the row, I've had an issue creating the media after installing Windows 10.

On all three attempts (the ISO, USB and multi-language choices) - it got to 100% before saying 'Something happened' - with no other detail left on it. I read online that changing your regional settings to United States rather than the United Kingdom can help. I tried that and it worked fine - creating the media without issue.

I'm assuming that I'll need to switch back to the UK after the fresh install has gone ahead, too.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Meh, seem's alright. I like task view they've added which they conveniently stole from Apple. The start menu was a bit pony so I've still got Classic Shell installed.
aASFCFo.png

Only using Windows 10 on my work computer though, home is the macbook running Yosemite and the custom build with either XP or Fedora.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Been using it on my absolutely ancient Laptop, it originally came with Vista and runs fine.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like Creative Labs are keeping to their driver roll-out. I noticed a specific Windows 10 driver for my Recon3D being made available this morning - ironically after an update had killed all the audio on my PC outright.

I'll be adding that to the reformat that I'm planning over the next few days.

Looks like Creative Labs are keeping to their driver roll-out. I noticed a specific Windows 10 driver for my Recon3D being made available this morning - ironically after an update had killed all the audio on my PC outright.

I'll be adding that to the reformat that I'm planning over the next few days.

Cheers for the info I'll see if there's one out for mine :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Mine is still randomly failing to boot at times.

I've had that a couple of times. It goes through the start up process - the blue Windows icon appears and then the screen just goes black. The monitor is still 'connected' and not going into standby - and keys like NumLock and CapsLock can be enabled and disabled. I'm thinking that points more to a graphics driver issue - that last stage of the PC to actually finish booting has a small issue and just fails to display any relevant image.

Hopefully that's a quick fix for Microsoft.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I've had that a couple of times. It goes through the start up process - the blue Windows icon appears and then the screen just goes black. The monitor is still 'connected' and not going into standby - and keys like NumLock and CapsLock can be enabled and disabled. I'm thinking that points more to a graphics driver issue - that last stage of the PC to actually finish booting has a small issue and just fails to display any relevant image.

Hopefully that's a quick fix for Microsoft.

Mine is different to that, I actually get a BSOD with INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. I'm still on the ASUS Rampage III also, must be something to do with my configuration, even though 8.1 ran without issue.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I still haven't used the Start Menu lol... what do people use it for? I have everything I need pinned to the Taskbar.

I don't seem to get email notifications very much, probably 10% of the time. Is the program meant to be left open or something?

I like the weather app, pretty gorgeous :)

Strangely Chrome renders slightly better in desktop mode, but Edge absolutely kills it in tablet mode, wonder why that is.

The mail app (using Gmail) won't give a notification if the email your sending has an attachment too large, it'll just sit in the outbox forever. Other than that, windows 10 has been brilliant for me :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
First full reformat on Wednesday night - pretty impressive with the speed. Took 19 minutes from the start to get to a point where I had a working Windows 10. Obviously, then I started adding things like Chrome and Steam, etc - but it certainly didn't take long.

Had a bit of an issue with the nVidia driver. The official Microsoft one kept wanting to override it and ultimately render the cards useless. I got there in the end, but it was a bit bloody annoying.

Oh, and for anyone who has Logitech peripherals (mice, keyboards, wheels) - the existing Gaming Software for Windows 7/8 works fine on 10. No issues there.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Well I did it. First time the upgrade failed and restored itself back to WIN 7, second time round all went well.

Can't say it's much of a change from Win 7 though! Although i've not spent much time with it yet.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I must say I'm really impressed. I've been hammering it at home and in work with some pretty intensive stuff and it's been rock solid. No crashes, no BSOD's. Just a couple of little niggles. I just need to persuade my good lady to convert now... :)

Bought a new laptop on saturday with windows 8 (free windows 10 upgrade) didnt use windows 8 as i hated it, been waiting for 10 before buying a new computer and i msut say i love it, ive come from a mac book pro and this OS is brilliant no doubt will get better as i get more and more used to it, finally im Apple free got rid of my iphone for a samsung and now my MBP for a windows based computer.

The only thing i am missing from the mac is the '2 finger swipe' left or right to go back or forwards, is there a way to enable this?