ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

windows 7 wont start up

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Laptop was fine this afternoon but now it wont start up it just freezes after i enter my password and it tries to start up

it starts up and operates in safe mode, but if i do safe mode with network once on desktop it just freezes

no recovery as i don't have any restore points

what to do?

E46 320D Tourer!
it might work. pop it in and restart the laptop making sure you change the bios to boot from cd first.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Had this a few months ago mate when battery failed whilst doing some updates. This I think corrupted system, and like you I had no back up. A mate whos a bit of a computer nerd, managed to sort it but said it was a ballache, and all fu***d up. Ended up with a full reset. No issues since... sorry can't help anymore..

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Only just got a brand spanking new SSD and installed wi.dowsing its a month old

so fucked off

FF Clio 182
If it starting up in safe mode but not in normal, also the fact it freezes as you log in then it isn't anything to do with a corrupt system, it's a corrupt program starting at login.

Fire it up in safe mode and open the run dialog (windows + R), type in "msconfig" then press enter. The tabs at the top one is called startup I believe, can't remember it exactly. All the items in that tab will have a tick next to them, untick everyone one that has a location in "program files" it will tell you in the 3rd column. Just don't disable anything in the "System32" folder. Once done press ok it should exit, then restart your system in normal mode and see what happens. If it works just do the same again in reverse and active items couple at a time to find out what program is at fault.

Sorry about the qualify of the text, multitasking isn't my specialty :)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Enable boot logging, run normal startup.. wait for freeze.. restart in safe mode.. look at what caused it in boot log file. Fix. Profit.

If it starting up in safe mode but not in normal, also the fact it freezes as you log in then it isn't anything to do with a corrupt system, it's a corrupt program starting at login.

Fire it up in safe mode and open the run dialog (windows + R), type in "msconfig" then press enter. The tabs at the top one is called startup I believe, can't remember it exactly. All the items in that tab will have a tick next to them, untick everyone one that has a location in "program files" it will tell you in the 3rd column. Just don't disable anything in the "System32" folder. Once done press ok it should exit, then restart your system in normal mode and see what happens. If it works just do the same again in reverse and active items couple at a time to find out what program is at fault.

Sorry about the qualify of the text, multitasking isn't my specialty :)

Wrong, there's plenty of drivers which aren't loaded in safemode!

In events logs

Ntfs 137

iastor 9

Sounds like a possible HDD/SSD issue - got access to another PC where you can download some HDD S.M.A.R.T checker software? (perhaps latest Ubuntu iso or w/e)

Although iastor is part of a driver, so possibly corrupt driver, but I'd do as above to rule it out.

Last edited:
  FF Clio 182
Wrong, there's plenty of drivers which aren't loaded in safemode!

Sounds like a possible HDD/SSD issue - got access to another PC where you can download some HDD S.M.A.R.T checker software? (perhaps latest Ubuntu iso or w/e)

Although iastor is part of a driver, so possibly corrupt driver, but I'd do as above to rule it out.

It's a start. If he try's it and it don't work your haven't lost anything

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
there's more iastor than Ntfs so ill reinstall windows one more time before i take the drive back

i hate f**king windows right now

FF Clio 182
If the problem started happening after you installed a new HDD then I would look into that, why didn't you mention that at the beginning?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
the ssd has been running perfect for the past 4-6 weeks, the issues started happening yesterday afternoon

currentky got the ssd plugged into another comoputer via usb removing all my data.

im guessing theres no way of fixing the problem by having it plugged in as a usb?

FF Clio 182
the ssd has been running perfect for the past 4-6 weeks, the issues started happening yesterday afternoon

currentky got the ssd plugged into another comoputer via usb removing all my data.

im guessing theres no way of fixing the problem by having it plugged in as a usb?

Tbh the failure rate on an SSD is very low. Either they work or there broken out the box. If it was a disk drive then I would be more inclined to think that. If its just as simple to remove your data and reinstall then do that but me personally would want to know what was causing it. Like I said before it boots fine just locks up as you login then I would say software. Recently installed anything new? What was you doing before the problem happened?

OCZ have the highest failure rate by far, and it's around 3%.

But as above, looks like a driver issue, do you have any other sata ports using a different chipset? Avoid any Marvell chipsets (and really the Intel will be the best, but maybe worth a shot).

edit: Or try the fix in that thread you linked!

182 Trophy #333
Try the basics first surely, get it into safe mode, hit start -> run -> type "cmd" and bring up a command prompt and run the following commands:

SFC /SCANNOW

CHKDSK /R

For some reason, whenever I quote that link my post acts up.

Any way open up device manager, right click on your storage controller > Update. Browse to the folder you downloaded then update (must unzip the folder first)

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Ffs now ie wont work and is causing issue

that Intel update has helped but when i try to use ie it freezes and brings up a blue screen of death. Windows wont uninstall it i just get an error grrr

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
IE works just fine in safe mode with networking as im using it now, it just wont work whatsoever in normal mode

FF Clio 182
If IE is causing the problem trying reinstalling or repairing it. Might be a dodgy add on. Can you now get into normal mode? If you can try running IE in safe mode? Or loading IE in Windows safe mode and removing all you addons. I may have missed it but you never said what you was doing before it started playing up ?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
i have a feeling in visiting pc world tomorrow. Just trying to reinstall windows and i got an error saying could not complete install