ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windows 8 Developer Preview Download

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
It really does look fantastic. some people are saying its a bit of a monster to use.

Astra CDTI SRI
Been playing with it all morning.

Really good. Deffo geared towards touch screen / tablet machines.

The interface is great. Well worth the download!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Downloaded this tonight but after trying 3 dvd drives it falls over saying there is no driver for them. Will have to pinch a pendrive from work tomorrow to make a bootable USB drive for it and try again over the weekend.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
installed it and it is like windows 7/windows phone 7, very weird i also cant figure out how to close some windows

Downloaded this tonight but after trying 3 dvd drives it falls over saying there is no driver for them. Will have to pinch a pendrive from work tomorrow to make a bootable USB drive for it and try again over the weekend.

Probably a dodgy download. Had the same problem and downloaded again with JDownloader and it was fine. Didn't realise the first one I downloaded was only 2GB :eek:

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Just downloaded the 32bit version after trying 64bit with no luck. Works fine now.
Looks good, just looks like 7 with a skin on it a bit like htc sense on android and a office 07/10 look to explorer. I'll have a better look over the next few days...

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Well this morning I found out multiple tabs in Chrome kinda kills it! Internet Explorer 10 is weird... Tweet@Roma looks good but all I can see is my own posts!?

Clio 182 cup'd
No it doesn't. Been playing with it for a bit now on my laptop, getting the hang of it, but can't say I prefer it to Windows 7.

Rav4
For those who are trying to install it on VMware workstation and getting a license error, un-mount the floppy drive and run the install again, it should be fine.

I think it's ok, just a bit weird, doesn't seem to flow in regards to navigation. Very geared towards touch screen.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Its odd. VERY quick in "7" mode.

If it has a 7 mode I'll be happy, I hate the windows 8 mode, it's just stupid, ridiculous, totally useless without a touch screen.

Might download this new beta to see how it's changed.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I've used it for a few hours. OH MY GOD ITS ANNOYING.

2 Separate OS's is stupid. One or the other, metro looks great but isn't very good.

Bear in mind i didnt use the dev edition.

Cupra
I got a new tablet laptop from work a couple of weeks ago so am quite curious to know how usable this is with it. Win 7 on a touch screen is no different than RDP on the iPad, but with less click accuracy and gestures.

I'll see if I can find a spare 2.5" HDD to play with this week.

I find it a bit stupid how it switches between the tile mode, and the mode that looks similar too windows 7. Feels like two different OS's, and that the tile mode is just a nice looking home screen, with little practical function.

Although I haven't investigated it fully yet.

Ph2 Clio 172
I dont think your meant to use Metro on a desktop or without a touch screen. I think the idea behind this is that there is a single OS across tablets, laptops, and PCs meaning cross platform compatibility and single versions of software, but with a GUI that is applicable to the device your on. Metro is as useless on a desktop as the standard desktop GUI is on a tablet. Win8 gives you both.

I', fairly certain a standard Start menu will appear in the proper version.

Ph2 Clio 172
Then everyone without a touchscreen will not upgrade to it, making it pretty pointless to include any desktop GUI at all.

dk

911 GTS Cab
hmm, in the last version it did have a start button in the bottom left, which actually took you to the desktop tiles, now thats gone in this version.

still don't like it, its not at all intuitive, i want it to just act like oldskool if i want it to, should be my choice really.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Metro is quite cool, its got some nice ideas.

Where it fails is giving you the choice to go back to the old environment to get things done.

Clio 1.2 16V
Not all that keen on it, like others have said the metro UI is just annoying and pointless on a desktop without a touchscreen. Hopefully MS will sort it out before its released.

1.2 Mk2 Clio P1
Downloded this and played with it on a virtual box.

It's so annoying it's actually unreal. They just look 7 and added a s**tty tablet interface and got rid of my much loved start bar. It's the worst and most un-intuitive thing that I've ever used in an OS. Would honestly rather have windows 2000..

I can see it being "okay" on a tablet but compared to Android and IOS it's going to fail very badly. So glad that they released a preview version because now I know to not even bother..

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I hated people having a go at this online, annoys me because want to just moan for the sake of it.

But boy, where they right.

Been using DP since it came out but I disabled Metro. If I can't do the same on Windows 8 then I think I'll be staying with Windows 7. I really can't see why they've done this :(

My girlfriend summed it up perfectly last night... "This is f**king s**t".

Cupra
I installed Win8 on VMWare but it doesn't recognise react to my touch screen properly which makes it a pretty crappy experience.

I can't help but think that the who environment would be better off like the Media Centre in Windows 7, in that it is hidden away until you start it, rather than the other way around.

Ph2 Clio 172
Are there actually any major advances in W8 under the hood? Or is it just W7 with a new GUI?

If the latter, then staying with 7 is a no brainer. (says the guy posting on a laptop running XP, lol!)