ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windows Vista without the Disc

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Hi, I recently upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 8. Ive given it around a month and I just dont like it! I was wondering if there is anyway of going back to Vista? I have a Product Key sticker on my PC, just no CD.

Is there anyway of going back to Vista?

Thanks

Fiesta ST
Oh my - Vista is one of the worst OS ever made! Just stick with 8 and get used it - customise it to act like Windows 7 if it bothers you.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Oh my - Vista is one of the worst OS ever made! Just stick with 8 and get used it - customise it to act like Windows 7 if it bothers you.

this!!! If you really don't want 8 get a copy of 7 from somewhere. Getting shot of vista is one of the best things i've done to computers!

Clio 197
The only way you can "downgrade" is a format and clean install, without the format windows won't let you do it

Polo + Micra
i'm still in two minds as to whether to go back to vista.

i don't see what the problem is with vista. no stupid lightweight crap "apps" faster than win 8 at certain tasks.

the only thing its better at is it boots quicker.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Windows 8 can be made to pretty much 95% act like Windows 7 anyway, both are far superior to Vista as said.

Don't know about vista but I've legally downloaded a copy of windows 7 from digital river iirc to use my key on the sticker. Maybe have a Google to see if its possible for vista

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Went back to Windows 7 at Christmas after using Windows 8 since launch. Some nice features, but 7 is much more smooth and 'logical' to use. If I had a decent tablet though, I'd probably retry Windows 8.

On a side note, I had an unopened Vista x64 Ultimate box that I sold very quickly on eBay for £60. Do people actually still use it?? ;)

D.

Went back to Windows 7 at Christmas after using Windows 8 since launch. Some nice features, but 7 is much more smooth and 'logical' to use. If I had a decent tablet though, I'd probably retry Windows 8.

On a side note, I had an unopened Vista x64 Ultimate box that I sold very quickly on eBay for £60. Do people actually still use it?? ;)

D.

Only the people who have never used Windows 7 I imagine!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
You will need a OEM Vista DVD/Restore DVD from your machines manufacturer to use that CD key, every company does it slightly different. With Dell's for instance you just lob the DVD in, the DVD knows you're running a Dell machine from its BIOS and you don't get asked for the key.

I do however agree with the rest saying that Vista is fairly awful, Windows 7 all the way for my games machine, Windows 8 for a tablet.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
You can install a little script to load on desktop (winkey D) and then it just looks like 7 to me but nicer!

If you put your computer to stand by instead of shutting down, the only win8 bit you will see is the pass code screen if you have security enabled.

I'd try and stick with it if I where you, really useful in my opinion!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I recently upgraded a laptop to xp from vista, runs much nicer.

ironically with windows 7 I set it up to act like vista, windows 7 from fresh install is w**k, only one window ops at a time etc.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I recently upgraded a laptop to xp from vista, runs much nicer.

ironically with windows 7 I set it up to act like vista, windows 7 from fresh install is w**k, only one window ops at a time etc.

So much wrong with that post. lol

Polo + Micra
if i get win 8 to look like win 7 is it still going to take 3 seconds to respond after it's gone to "sleep"?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
On windows 7 as default can only have say one Mozilla Firefox open at a time.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Unless they changed it, my copy is a very early addition, if you loaded another Internet explorer it just went to the one that's open, only way was usings tabs.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I just dont like 8. I dont like no start menu, I dont like no tabs at the bottom etc.

And I Cannot get screen resolutions right for my dual monitors, warning boxes/itunes looks horrifically pixelated!

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Depends what you use your computer for.

I use Linux mainly.

However, I've got an unused boot of Windows 7, which is reasonably good, and I've got an XP boot for programming.

Out of all the Winblows OS', XP is by far the favourite.

Fiesta ST
You just browse forums mainly? why hate Windows 8 so much? it loads up (quick) click your web browser of choice on the start screen and you're in. all web browser's work the same on all version of Windows*.

You can pin apps to the taskbar and also see what apps are running on the taskbar just like Win7/Vista.

*Unless you're running the gay Metro browser and not the desktop browser.

Last edited: