ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windscreen replacement

renault clio 172
My bonnet flipped back today and smashed my windscreen on i need to replace it my insurance is with greenlight has anybody made a claim for a windscreen with them was it an easy process and did they pay out ok i do have the £75 excess i know i have to pay but did they settle the rest ok

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Can't comment on insurance company, when I had mine changed earlier this year (on trade policy so no cover for screen) I only paid £110 fitted, admittedly only a basic screen that doesn't have the central bracket for light/rain sensor but even so for the little extra I'd shop around and see what prices you can get, saves goin through your insurance

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
There's no reason not to go through insurance. It doesn't go down as a claim.

If ya have windscreen cover, just ring a windscreen company. They'll sort it all out and you never even have to speak to your insurance company

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Agree might aswell go through insurance. Lol I've got to pay for my mum's hers has a fook off crack in it. I wouldn't mind I've not even needed to replace my own yet lol

Clio Sport 182
i thought that is a good idea not to create a new thread.
This Saturday i have arranged with National Windscreens to replace my windscreen. The car is still on the factory screen.
i thought that is a good idea to replace the windscreen seals so i bought a seal kit from Renault parts direct
http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/product/renault-clio-182-windscreen-seal-kit/

i was thinking to apply the Rain X Repellent. what do you think?
anything else that i should do?

Thanks
Paris

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I need mine done soon, through Admiral I think it's £70. Does it matter if you have the auto wipers/rain detector?

Clio Sport 182
I might be wrong but would have thought the seal kit would be replaced as part of the process.
I thought that they putting back the old rubbers.

I need mine done soon, through Admiral I think it's £70. Does it matter if you have the auto wipers/rain detector?
I hope that shouldn't be a problem. i have mention it in the comments box. i will make sure that they will bring the correct screen (fitted with rain sensor bracket and tinted) before they do anything.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Does anyone know if the seal kit can be fitted at a later date rather than at the time of the screen being fitted?

I spoke to my local Renault parts dealer today, and out of interest asked him about a new screen - £400+. I'm getting one fitted for £186 (because I have 3rd party insurance only 😞)

Clio Sport 182
Does anyone know if the seal kit can be fitted at a later date rather than at the time of the screen being fitted?

I spoke to my local Renault parts dealer today, and out of interest asked him about a new screen - £400+. I'm getting one fitted for £186 (because I have 3rd party insurance only 😞)

The a pillar seals yes can go later. The top one has to go with the screen

Clio Sport 182
what is your opinion for the Rain x repellent
don't go for it its a cheap product mainly sold in halfords etc. Go for a product called H2GO its am amazing product. similar price to Rain X but lasts around 3 months per application and depending on how much you use the 100ml bottle should see you through a year. It is slightly more expensive but the quality of water beading is a million times better. Rain X for the shower glass maybe lol?

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I use Rain-X because I picked up a job lot when my local "The Range" were selling it off cheap. It works reasonably well, but needs re-applying pretty much weekly 🙈.

I agree with @dane0, Angelwax H2Go is far superior in it's ability to shed water and longevity :up:.

Clio Sport 182
I use Rain-X because I picked up a job lot when my local "The Range" were selling it off cheap. It works reasonably well, but needs re-applying pretty much weekly 🙈.

I agree with @dane0, Angelwax H2Go is far superior in it's ability to shed water and longevity :up:.
yeah its ok but at a standard price its pennies different compared to H2GO, and the H2GO far outperforms it as well as longevity as you say. but if i could get Rain X for a silly price id get it to run around and do my house windows with :)

Clio Sport 182
also as this is a relatively new thread did anyone get a replacement window outside of the insurance? if so how much did it cost? i'm going to ask my insurance tomorrow about NCD being affected as it never used to be, due to it being a separate policy running alongside the car insurance policy but in recent times i believe you now need to declare it and have your premiums as well as NCD affected

RenaultSport Clio 182
Had mine done this week by Autoglass. I checked the policy (Esure) and NCD is not affected as there are no electronic aids as an integral part of the screen (Ford heated screens maybe?). The Clio just has the plastic clip for your existing rain sensor. Cost £100 excess and the guy did it in an hour including new seals.

Checked with the local place, National Windscreens and they quoted me £360 fitted. Said it was more expensive due to the rain sensor attachment. That's one expensive plastic clip.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
as there are no electronic aids as an integral part of the screen (Ford heated screens maybe?).

They'll be referring to cameras for lane assistance etc etc.

On a separate note, heated windscreens are available on many cars these days. Not just Fords.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Autoglass did mine last week, had no issue with the rain sensor. £75 excess through Admiral.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Checked with the local place, National Windscreens and they quoted me £360 fitted. Said it was more expensive due to the rain sensor attachment. That's one expensive plastic clip.

Something doesn't seem right about their quote, National did mine for £186, including the rain sensor bracket. And my bracket is an expensive metal one :wink::smile:.

Clio Sport 182
Autoglass did mine last week, had no issue with the rain sensor. £75 excess through Admiral.
I'm with elephant who is part of admiral who deal with people who have had claims where admiral typically wont. I just phoned them and they said I can claim on the windscreen cover I have and it wont affect NCD, but I will need to declare it as a claim under ' any claims and convictions in the last 5 years' as now even on compare websites there's a section for it now. I don't know if its worth claiming or not now because as soon as you have any claim many companies point blank refuse to give a quote as soon as you tick yes. Many will ignore it as a claim once you spoke to them but potentially your top 3 cheapest may not even look at you for it and I don't think personally it would be worth it.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
also as this is a relatively new thread did anyone get a replacement window outside of the insurance? if so how much did it cost? i'm going to ask my insurance tomorrow about NCD being affected as it never used to be, due to it being a separate policy running alongside the car insurance policy but in recent times i believe you now need to declare it and have your premiums as well as NCD affected

As @oreA mentioned a sport windscreen with auto light/wipers is £186 fitted (I know because I mentioned it a while ago over pm) or a bog standard non auto wizardry one is £112 fitted, I went for this one and it's been absolutely fine, Ive gotten rid of all unnecessary weight and gone track only with mine though

Clio Sport 182
As @oreA mentioned a sport windscreen with auto light/wipers is £186 fitted (I know because I mentioned it a while ago over pm) or a bog standard non auto wizardry one is £112 fitted, I went for this one and it's been absolutely fine, Ive gotten rid of all unnecessary weight and gone track only with mine though
Who's this with? I phoned national windscreens for my local fitter and he wanted 240+VAT? I'd happily pay what you paid but this seems to be a lot more than everyone else has quoted

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Who's this with? I phoned national windscreens for my local fitter and he wanted 240+VAT? I'd happily pay what you paid but this seems to be a lot more than everyone else has quoted
National Windscreens - ring their 'main' number & you get directed to your local place. I contacted them on @Ads29's kind advice. £186 for the all singing/dancing version with the bracket for the rain sensor & athermic coating.