ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Winmax W5 Vs Pagid RS29

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Probably one for @Kev@KAM

Pads are due a change after Donington evening session on Thursday.

Already got some PBS to put back in but while it's new pad time, I'm looking at trying either the W5's or the RS29 (similar price).

Anyone have any experience of either? I know the RS29's are a tried and tested pad on other marques like BMW's with nothing but good things said.

Do the Winmax W5 rival them or even better them?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Have you tired DS1.11’s @JamesBryan I’ve got abit left in my PBS’s to use up on my next track day but they feel like DS2500’s to me over the last couple of days, good fast road pad but not amazing for hard track use imo.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Are you happy with them?

I'm guessing yeah 😅
In isolation. Yes.
I ran RS29 all round in my 575bhp impreza, then in my Mini GP and also run them in my Cayman R.
I have them in the front of the Clio now with RS4-2 in the rear.
They don’t have the initial bite of a carbon metallic pad such as a PFC 01 or 97. But they are very consistent, long lasting and very kind to discs.
So like all brake applications, it depends what you want them for as to if you’ll like them or not. Without question PFCs are the most aggressive pads I’ve ever used in a non full race car and they’re phenomenal. However. They did write off a set of wheels due to dust and ate a set of Brembo HCs in 6000 miles. Lol

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Have you tired DS1.11’s @JamesBryan I’ve got abit left in my PBS’s to use up on my next track day but they feel like DS2500’s to me over the last couple of days, good fast road pad but not amazing for hard track use imo.

Never been a fan of Ferodo pads tbh mate.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
From customer testing RS29 dont have the same pedal feel nor last as long as the Winmax W5

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
Kev is there any reason why you recommend the 5’s as opposed to the 6/6.5’s?

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Kev is there any reason why you recommend the 5’s as opposed to the 6/6.5’s?

I think the majority will be fine with the W5. Due to the amount of miles done each trackday i would favour low wear rate vs maximum bite. I use W6 myself but the pads will wear a bit quicker.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
So are Clio's, but daft c***s like me still keep tracking them [emoji23]
[emoji1787][emoji1787] RSL1s are way better or my favourite are RST3 but they are a sprint pad and fairly aggressive but had superb bite and power with good pedal feel. 29s feel proper wooden, Just replaced the ones in my E92 for some Raybestos and the difference is huge

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
[emoji1787][emoji1787] RSL1s are way better or my favourite are RST3 but they are a sprint pad and fairly aggressive but had superb bite and power with good pedal feel. 29s feel proper wooden, Just replaced the ones in my E92 for some Raybestos and the difference is huge

The RST3 you had in the megane were savage when I had a quick go when my brother bought it off you.

Don't think they are an option for the MK2 Clio caliper though 😏

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Aye such a savage pad, was thinking of them for the M3 to be honest but makes no sense as the whole point of the BTCC AP kit is 80 quid slightly used pads lol

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Aye such a savage pad, was thinking of them for the M3 to be honest but makes no sense as the whole point of the BTCC AP kit is 80 quid slightly used pads lol

What do they use in them, Project Mu and Endless?

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
What do they use in them, Project Mu and Endless?
PMu, Raybestos and a couple have used Endless but they are super hard to get hold of. I've fired some of thr Raybestos in but yet to drive it in anger yet but a quick spin round the block and they feel really similar to the RST with high bite. The Pagids did last ages though. Like 10k with half a dozen sessions at KH

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
PMu, Raybestos and a couple have used Endless but they are super hard to get hold of. I've fired some of thr Raybestos in but yet to drive it in anger yet but a quick spin round the block and they feel really similar to the RST with high bite. The Pagids did last ages though. Like 10k with half a dozen sessions at KH

The RS29's are an endurance pad so I'd expect them to last ages.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Aye they last ages but need to be aware of keeping them in the right operating temp. I destroyed a new set in a day at Spa and a dozen ring laps as I had them running way to hot when the Megane was near standard

406 V6, Race Buggy
Yeah, endurance pads are really designed to be kept in a fairly tight temperature range - not too cold and not too hot - because outside of that range the lubricants in the pads don't work properly and you get a lot of wear, pickup, etc.

Clio 172
@JamesBryan hqve you had a run with the Winmax W5 yet? Keen to hear your thoughts and what pads you used before.
Also what you using for rear pads with the W5?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
@JamesBryan hqve you had a run with the Winmax W5 yet? Keen to hear your thoughts and what pads you used before.
Also what you using for rear pads with the W5?

Yes I've used them once and also quite a bit on the road.

Really good, although I'd probably go for W6 for dedicated track work.

I was using PBS ProRace before and these have more bite and appear to wear very well. Still running PBS pads in the rear.