ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Winter Prep Thread

M135i
Some may think it's a little early for this, but as soon as we know it, the weather will be turning.

So with the myriad of new products being released over the last year, what will you be using for the Winter prep? Or will you be sticking to the ol' faithfuls?

I'm also interested to know your processes too.

I'm undecided. As the Volvo is black, I'm sure some marring will be inflicted after claying even with Sonus Green. I'm contemplating a light machine polish to get rid of the marring and the old wax/sealants completely before re protecting.

I personally wouldn't bother correction now. I will be but purely due to selling the car.

Seal up end of september with fk1000p and then stay on top of the wheels and spray downs, as far as salt and grit is concerned.

Think about your arches. Mine are fk'd and c4'd reet up.

Megane R26
I'll be using 3x Auto Finesse Spirit on top of 2x Tough Coat and AF Mint Rims x2 on my alloys.

GTechniq on my glass.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Just started mine.

Wheels are done, cleaned, de tarred, and de ironed. then sealed with 3 layors of poorboys wheel sealent (ill give a quick shampoo tomorrow when i do the full car and add another 2 layers of poorboys)

Body will have the full works,

Pre wash
Rinse
Wash
Rinse
De Tar
Rinse
De Iron
Wash
Clay
Rinse
Dry
Autobrite cherry glaze (i dont feel the need for correction due to it being done not so long ago)
Autobrite seal and protect
Chemical guys XXX hard stuff

Glass will be washed, cleaned and clayed. then 3 layors of autobrite repel

Plastics have some white wax marks on so they will be cleaned with apc then with peanut butter then washed and treated with autobrite bubblegum protectant.

Tires will be wearing autobrite tyre sheen

and engine will be getting degreased, metal will have poorboys on and plastics will have bubblegum protectant.

Eventually ill get onto the interior and it will be cleaned with Autobrite FAB and plastics will be protected with the bubblegum protectant.

Job Done.

DB.

BMW 440i
Just placed an order with Cleanyourcar of about £100 to refresh and add some new products into my range.

Seeing as it's a new car, it will be having the full car, then protected with Collinite wax for a couple of layers, will then add some victoria in the coming months, but always found the Colli acts great as a base layer and is very durable!

Other than that, Im trying some songs polish, and that will be it, the rest is just the normal!

So I have a brand new car as of October. What would you advise to use on it for the super harsh winters we have? ;)

Edit: Oh, and it's white.

Not a 320d
Ive got Glasur over a layer of Body Wrap. So im all set. Ill be applying another layer soon though as ive got a lovely key mark to repair.

Not a 320d
So I have a brand new car as of October. What would you advise to use on it for the super harsh winters we have? ;)

Edit: Oh, and it's white.

C1 Or Body Wrap if you cant stretch.

MIND you nano sealants are a PITA they last too long and when you want to do correction work they can be proper shite to remove.

M135i
If on a budget, Megs #16 or FK1000p have yielded great results for me over the years. Collinites get's great reviews too but I've never used it.

Not a 320d
Dont know if its similar to body wrap, in that it wont bead very well on softer paints. However, you do get scratch resistance and self cleaning/good sheeting with C1. Just be aware what I said about the corrction stage when you get to spring time again with C1. Could be an issue.

Went with bodywrap in the end. Goes on like a dream and the gloss is quite deep.

Layered on top with PB's light wax.

M135i
I got round to doing mine last week. Was going to clay it but 'tested' the usual worst areas and there almost nothing coming off the paint.

So I scrapped it and progressed with Jeffs Acrylic Prime by polishing pad in the d/a for speed, then two layers of Jeffs Acrylic Trigger. Then put a third on this week. That should last for a while. I'm impressed by the prime, though it can leave the paint a little greasy? I didn't use much product either and worked it well into the paint. The joys of unforgiving black paint.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The Arch Gap shall be wearing C1 with top ups of Werkstat Jett. God it's an awesome combo.

Jett > C2 all day long.

My car is around 95% corrected (done for css) so not much prep required.

I'll leave C1 on it's own for about 6 weeks then top up.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
i suppose i'll get round to it at some point! atleast i've got one less car to do ths year.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'm on the lookout for a new layerable sealant.
Might have a go with Zaino this year.

Have a look at the Werkstat kit mate. More for ease of use rather than anything. Winter usually is s**t for getting a chance to do the car.

Acrylic prime, jett trigger. Done.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I've already got Prime Strong as a base so I might give it a go.

I'll be owning a garage soon so the plan is so lock it away for a week and get it sorted for winter.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Good man, i'm lucky enough to have access to a few garages but for speed Jett is hard to beat.

I used to love waxing but Jett makes things so simple. Wax is for summertime only now. :eek:

Megane R26
Gave this Scirocco a bit of winter protection today for a few hours, then thought I'd do the same to my Golf.

This is a brilliant combo for quick and easy protection. Tough Coat in particular is silly easy to use and remove.

Enjoy!

6223409221_6a71e491d6_z.jpg

P1040124 by RussZS, on Flickr

6223934040_0a2ac45e8b_z.jpg

P1040125 by RussZS, on Flickr

6223937674_c6abdd748b_z.jpg

P1040129 by RussZS, on Flickr

6223420241_e497cd0323_z.jpg

P1040130 by RussZS, on Flickr

6223120739_8fd86a2ca6_z.jpg

P1040074 by RussZS, on Flickr

6223649950_52ebc41279_z.jpg

P1040084 by RussZS, on Flickr

6223144401_edd89629c5_z.jpg

P1040095 by RussZS, on Flickr

6223665428_2128643f97_z.jpg

P1040096 by RussZS, on Flickr

Full write up on the Scirocco to follow... not bad for 4 hours on the Rocco!

Cheers,

Russ.

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
Mine will be getting the full wonky treatment this week ;)

A snow foam and the 1 bucket method wash and some of that iron x stuff for the wheels and that's about it ! I have never sealed any of my cars for the winter, honestly just don't have the patients for it, I don't know how you guys do it :S

Since iv owned the car getting on 3 years now its only ever been washed and only once has it ever been machined polished and that was before FCS 2010. Would love to do it but i get bored after about an hour.