ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wiper Arm Removal and Washer Pump Replacement (yet another solution)

JayD

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 (ph2)
After reading many threads on here about removal of wiper arms I thought I'd give my solution after struggling. I didn't want to spend money on a tool negating the point of doing the work myself. After removing the plastic caps and undoing the nuts on the wiper arm splines, I gave several firm hits of a hammer on the wiper arms, hitting from various angles around the spline. I then put the open end of a spanner underneath the arm around the spline, and then used a big flat headed screwdriver to lever between the spanner and the wiper arm. I did this at different angles around the spline and eventually it slowly came off. The one was particularly stubborn and required a couple of rounds with the hammer.

After removing those I pulled off the rubber seal at the front of the plastic scuttle panel, then undid the plastic clip on the left hand piece of the scuttle and wiggled it free. Then I did the same with the right hand piece of the scuttle.

As my wiper motor was completely goofed (apply direct battery voltage make no noise whatsoever) I needed to replace it. If you have HID headlamps then don't go to GSF, as clios with HID's have a second washer pump for the headlights (the left hand one as you look at the engine bay) and because of this the pumps are different. I got the correct pump (with the fluid inlet coming out the side of the bpump body rather than the bottom) from CarSpares. It was just over £16.

To make enough space to get to the washer pump I undid the three 10mm bolts securing the wiper linkage mechanism under the scuttle. I didn't remove it, but this gave me enough space to maneuvour the washer bottle. However you have to undo a 10mm bolt which secures the washer bottle on the bottom left hand edge of the bottle. After removing this bolt and moving the linkage out the way a little, you should be able to make a few inches of space to get your hands in to the washer bottle. As mine had HIDs the pump inlet goes into the bottle horizontally, and because of space it was difficult to remove the existing pump, so I used a long flat headed screwdriver to level the pump away from the bottle (cue 2 litres of washer fluid emptying onto the floor).

After doing that I labelled the pipes going to the washer jets and then removed the rubber seal from around the inlet of the old pump and put it on the new pump. I then pushed the new pump into the bottle by hand, but it wasn't that tight a fit with the new pump so I got some silicon sealant and push it around the rubber seal. I then pushed it back into the washer bottle and connected up the wiring (my electrical plug had previously been butchered so handily I already had spade terminals suitable for the different sized pins on this particular pump).

After an hour had passed I filled the washer bottle with fluid and checked for leaks. Fortunately for me, no leaks! :D I then tested the pump using the wiper stalk and all was well, so then I reassembled everything. Check when testing it that it sprays the front washer when the front wipers come on - with this particular pump the electrical pin positions were reversed so I had to swap the pins as I had front wipers coming on while the rear screen was getting washed! I then reassembled everything - washer bottle bolt, wiper linkage bolts, right scruttle cover, left scuttle cover, bulkhead rubber seal, wiper arms (make sure they're at the correct angle on the windscreen before pressing them onto the spline!), wiper arm bolts, plastic caps, job done.

Long winded as hell and everyone has their own solution but this worked for me so hopefully it'll be some use to others who are nervous about having a go.