ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wipers stopped working! (197)

Rowan - Mortgage Expert

ClioSport Trader
  Audi SQ5
Afternoon all,

Last night I de-iced the car, however clearly not well enough, because I put the front wipers on, and they didn't move, so I checked and I hadn't de-iced the screen well enough meaning the wipers were stuck. Having de-iced the window and blades properly, they didn't - and still don't work. You can hear the motor whirring but the blades don't shift.

Now I assume I have broken something, I just don't know what...
Any thoughts?!

megane 285 sport
Check the motor mechanism under the screen, the drain off can block up causing the area to fill with water, and cause the mechanism to rust and seize up. Can strip it it down and grease up and reassemble.

Clio 197
I ended up unblocking my scuttle panel a couple of times in my ownership , it's a known issue so yeah I would check that first. It's likely to be swimming with trapped water under there.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
As above, make sure the mechanism isn't seized up due to water issues. If it is, you may need to replace a blown fuse in the UPC after wards also.

Rowan - Mortgage Expert

ClioSport Trader
  Audi SQ5
As above, make sure the mechanism isn't seized up due to water issues. If it is, you may need to replace a blown fuse in the UPC after wards also.
Thanks for all replies, so effectively I guess the motor is trying but the mechanism isn't able to move - I will have a look tonight and see if I can work it out!

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
On my 172, i had the same noise of hearing the motor going, but with a bit of knocking at the same time, turns out one of the linkage arms had sheared off at the end rendering the wipers immobile. If you can freely move both wipers by hand then this normally indicates a broken linkage.

Rowan - Mortgage Expert

ClioSport Trader
  Audi SQ5
On my 172, i had the same noise of hearing the motor going, but with a bit of knocking at the same time, turns out one of the linkage arms had sheared off at the end rendering the wipers immobile. If you can freely move both wipers by hand then this normally indicates a broken linkage.
Sounds potentially like my issue...! Unfortunately whilst I may claim to be a "mortgage expert" I am not a "how to fix a broken clio expert" so I will attempt to see what the issue is & how to fix it !!!