ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wired correctly but not switching on.

'03 1.2 Dynamique
I cannot work this out.

I bought a cheapish stereo with an SD slot, to replace the Clio's stock stereo as the clio is just a run around and I never use CD's, only MP3 CD's and SD cards.

The stereo definitely works as I checked it in another vehicle.

I am getting 14v across the + an - on the plug, and they are going into exactly where they should. In the other vehicle I also have 14v across the same 2 terminals of the plug. However it will not switch on in the clio, but it will switch on in the other vehicle.

It was a fairly simple job, just plug and play really as the adaptor fitted perfect. I cannot see why this isn't working as everything on the multimeter is identical to the other vehicle.

Is there anything hidden in the clio that prevents a third party stereo working? I do hear a relay click when I try to switch it on. However even after the relay clicks I am still getting a potential of 14v.

Clio's will work with all stereo's, is it an ISO connector stereo? There's no lock on them or anything.
As long as you've got at least 12v running through the constant 12v feed and the ignition 12v feed, and the earth wire, it should power on.
Seems a bit weird if it works with one but not the other.

'03 1.2 Dynamique
yeah its a standard iso plug on both cars, then a convertor lead to the stereo plug. on the stereo plug I am getting 14v on both cars.

When I switch it on a relay clicks in the clio somewhere, but the stereo doesn't come on. I am still getting 14v across the plug (I can get a connection via the multimeter through the back of the plug whilst it's still plugged in).

I can't work it out, getting same voltage on both cars but it will not switch on in the clio.

The only thing I can think of is a lack of current, but, the original renault radio still works when plugged in. I can see no reason why this will not switch on.

The car is bog standard, judging by how neat the wires are, and how tight the stereo was to get out, I'd guess the original has never been taken out.

172 Ph1
As mentioned by James28 it sounds like you missing the ignition 12v feed
You should have 1 constant 12v feed
1 switched 12v feed and an earth.
Check you have both power supply
Once you have it should work.
Check fuses on left fuse box at dash area.