ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wireless Problem

I really don't want to have to use this, but it looks like I'm gonna have to...

Basically the problem is that i bought a netgear wireless PCI card, booted up, installed latest drivers, connected to my network fine, but after installing the card I find I am getting random crashes on my computer. After removing the card and going back to wired, the crashed stopped. Out of interest I tried the wireless out again and the crashes began again. That was over a few weeks, and last week i was sorting out another computer in a different room, and tried the wireless card in that, and now that is getting crashes!!

Now I'm wondering is this because the card is fault, or because Ive added the card to an old install on windows.

Would formatting the computer with the card already plugged in sort this out?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Latest drivers from card makers website?

check there forums for similar issues. I would say its a driver fault. tho it could be the card itself.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Could be an incompatibility. Ollie, are you using Windows to manage the wireless connection or the cards software itself?

Could be an incompatibility. Ollie, are you using Windows to manage the wireless connection or the cards software itself?

Ive tried both mate. Also I am on Windows XP fully up to date on both machines, and I think I tried it also when I was on vista, although I'm not 100% sure I did.

Don't have a laptop mate, both desktops. Added the PCI card onto old installations too, which makes me think I should try a reformat with the card plugged in from the start.

May give Vista another try tomorrow

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
If its a WPN311 crashes with that card are a "known problem". Some people claim you only have problems if you do the install wrong, other people with problems claim they did it right and they've got problems anyway. Netgear has made some improvements but does not seem to be able to fix them. Try disabling the Netgear Smart Wizard and enabling Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration again. It appears to reduce the level of crashes to a level you can live with.

There appears to be something fundamentally wrong with the product that Netgear isn't willing to acknowledge. And no-one else has the ability or sees it worth their while into proving its faulty.

Not that this should make any difference, but have you tried disabling the (wired) adaptor and then using the wireless?

If its a WPN311 crashes with that card are a "known problem". Some people claim you only have problems if you do the install wrong, other people with problems claim they did it right and they've got problems anyway. Netgear has made some improvements but does not seem to be able to fix them. Try disabling the Netgear Smart Wizard and enabling Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration again. It appears to reduce the level of crashes to a level you can live with.

There appears to be something fundamentally wrong with the product that Netgear isn't willing to acknowledge. And no-one else has the ability or sees it worth their while into proving its faulty.

Hi mate, the card I have is a NETGEAR WG311v3. Maybe it shares some of the known issues as the WPN311? Cheers for the tips I will be sure to try them out!

Not that this should make any difference, but have you tried disabling the (wired) adaptor and then using the wireless?

I don't think I did try that actually, will give this a go also!

I'm in two minds whether to reinstall Vista or not... Any advice? :S

2004 1.2 Dynamique
If they are desktops and not laptops why do you want to use wireless anyway if you can have wired i dont see the point?

Well if you are already considering a fresh installl then this can't hurt. However, will you know that the device drivers work properly under Vista? Only one way to found out :evil:

If they are desktops and not laptops why do you want to use wireless anyway if you can have wired i dont see the point?

Could be all sorts of reasons. Such as logistics of cables. Maybe he's moved his PC or modem or maybe he just fancies wireless?

Well if you are already considering a fresh installl then this can't hurt. However, will you know that the device drivers work properly under Vista? Only one way to found out :evil:

Yeah Ive tried Vista a few weeks ago and everything works, although I rolled back to XP due to some things I dont like about Vista

Could be all sorts of reasons. Such as logistics of cables. Maybe he's moved his PC or modem or maybe he just fancies wireless?

Basically I dont want to have wires going all the way through the house. At the moment Ive got a phone line extention cable going from downstairs, to upstairs, and then the router is plugged into that. But when the router is plugged straight into the wall downstairs I get a faster connection (about .5MB~ faster)