ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wireless Router & Range Extender Q

Not a 320d
Got a Belkin N1 Vision Wireless router and my mate has purchased a Cisco Linksys WRE54G extender. I dont know if the two devices are compatable, but I cant ping or access the Extender anyway. Ive reset it a number of times with no luck. I cant connect to the device successfully however in windows it does say theres a limited connection, although an ipconfig on the host PC shows theres no default gateway and an abnormal ip address, something like 169.254.163.68 and a subnet of 255.255.0.0. Ive tried setting a manual ip with a similar address in the same subnet but also had no luck.

Am I right in assuming this device auto configures with other linksys routers only and thats why I cant even connect to its config gui? Ive tried pinging the ip addresses listed on related websited when connected, but theyre mostly 192.168 addresses which obviously doesnt match up to the 169.254 addy.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Have you got the setup instructions? If not:
http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.a...nge_Expander_Using_Windows_7__Vista_or_XP.xml

That IP address is because your laptop is not obtaining a valid IP address by DHCP. Windows falls back to the 169. Address in this scenario.

To manage and configure the extender initially follow this:
http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=4103

Looks like it uses 192.168.1.240 as its ip by default. Is this in the same ip network range as your router?
Try manually configuring your laptop as 192.168.1.241, guessing the SNM will be 255.255.255.0. Then try and acces the extender, configure inline with your routers SSID etc and change its management address to be on your normal network range at the same time. Don't forget to the tenable dhcp on your laptop afterwards.

Never touched one myself but it cannot be that hard;)

Not a 320d
Kinell lol. We did that last night, I told my mate to put the laptop in the same subnet, so he put .241.1 instead of 1.241. Anyways we got the laptop to recognise the extender. But still no luck. Soon as we configured WEP (Its only security option FFS) it wouldnt pick it up. I tried using WEP on the router itself to match up but with no luck. Im gunna have another bash at. Should be a simple f**king task lol.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
LOL - sounds like you are getting nearer!

I presume you are accessing the extender, during setup, via a wired Ethernet connection - that is what i would do.
To recap:
1 - set you wired NIC on your laptop to 192.168.1.241 255.255.255.0
2 - patch cable to Extender and browse to 192.168.1.240
3 - configure SSID, encryption method and pass-key as per your Belkin routers wireless settings
4 - In the IP setup page - change the extenders IP to 192.168.2.240 (your belkin's standard network is 192.168.2.x/24 - you can confirm this by ipconfig on your laptop when connecting to your normal SSID).
5 - In the IP setup page - keep the subnet mask at 255.255.255.0
6 - In the IP setup page - change the extenders gateway to 192.168.2.1 (this is the address of your Belkin router)
7 - Save and reboot the extender
8 - disconnect the cable from your laptop and connect to your normal wireless network. If all is well you should be able to web-browse to your extender on 192.168.2.240

One final point - on your Belkin router find the DHCP options and if possible exclude or reserve 192.168.2.240 from the address pool. This probably will never really matter as its highly unlikely that this address will be offered to a client machine in a home network.

Hope the above helps:)

Not a 320d
No ethernet connection mate! Load of toss lol.

Step 6 is the last thing i have up my sleeve to try so ill give that a shot. Cheers for the replies ill let you know how I get on.