ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wireless/wired internet.

172 cup
Am currently considering converting a room in the attic into an office/gaming room. Now the problem is that the router is in the lounge, which is on the ground floor and when I go into the kitchen which is in the basement the signal on the laptop is quite low. With the room I am wanting to use for my office being 2 floors away instead of 1 I am thinking that the wireless will not reach there.

So I am left thinking of a couple of things but as I haven't tried any of them before was wondering which would be the best solution.

1) Setup a wireless repeater with a spare bt router. Is this easy to do?
2) Use those 'thingys' that use your wiring circuit to send your broadband through it, i.e it plugs in by your router connected via ethernet, then plug it in the socket in the attic and connect again via ethernet. I am a little dubious as to how good these would be though, transfer rate etc.

Any other ideas without moving the original router or buying a big ariel for my pc.

Cheers
Stu

172 cup
Go in the attic and see if it works first?

i will do as soon as I get home, but once I get thinking about something I can't stop till it's done. So was just wondering if people have tried either method posted above so as to get a head start on the method to use if required. :cool:

If your using it for gaming you ideally want wired, wether its home plug or actually running cat5 (ball ache but worth it).

I've never found wireless to be reliable enough when gaming.

LY 200
hard wired ideally. I had some of those plugs and they arent great for either speed or reliability lol.

I think they work better if they are on the same electric ring (either upstairs / downstairs)

172 cup
hard wired ideally. I had some of those plugs and they arent great for either speed or reliability lol.

I think they work better if they are on the same electric ring (either upstairs / downstairs)

thanks that answers that one.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
if a games room like you say just hard wire it after the hassle of the wireless gaming you will want to do it anyway.

172 cup
if a games room like you say just hard wire it after the hassle of the wireless gaming you will want to do it anyway.

Yeah looks like its going to have to be done the hard way.
If the Mrs asks its an office but for those in the know its a gaming room :D

Cupra
I just had to move my PC to the third floor with the router based on the ground. I bought a wireless N router and set it up as an access point on the standard modem/ router as it was pretty much the same cost as buying a wireless card for the PC and a lot less hassle than drilling through concrete floors to get Cat 5 cable up there.

With wireless N I get 72MB/s connection as opposed to 12-24 I was getting on G. Might be worth considering?

172 cup
I just had to move my PC to the third floor with the router based on the ground. I bought a wireless N router and set it up as an access point on the standard modem/ router as it was pretty much the same cost as buying a wireless card for the PC and a lot less hassle than drilling through concrete floors to get Cat 5 cable up there.

With wireless N I get 72MB/s connection as opposed to 12-24 I was getting on G. Might be worth considering?

I wasn't even aware of this option.
Will look into it now. Cheers :D

Cupra
Not all Wireless Routers can be used as access points and not all modems allow you to use another router on it either.... It is worth checking the specs sheet first, or at least making sure you can bring it back if it does not work.

I have a speedtouch adsl modem from my ISP and am using a Belkin Wireless N router without any hassle. Just FYI.