ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wiring leds in with a switch.

Right then. Been trying to wire in an led strip with a switch to be mounted on the dash dimmer dial panel. For whatever reason I'm struggling. Got the 12v from the ignition on live from the cig lighter. Earth isn't a problem. The switch is an led type with an accessory pin out the back. Got the power connected to the 12v pin, earth to the car, and the live from the led strip into the 'A' accessory pin and the negative from the led strip earthed to the car. But for whatever reason it wont work. Any tips or suggestions would be welcome.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Probably obvious and you might have already checked but LED's need the correct polarity for them to light up. try swapping the - and + . Once you have them lighting up the switch will be a breeze.

Probably obvious and you might have already checked but LED's need the correct polarity for them to light up. try swapping the - and + . Once you have them lighting up the switch will be a breeze.
first thing I did was check the leds, there all good. Got a mate looking at it in a few hours who's wired up loads of stuff in his cars. Might shed some light on the issue. Cheers

Clio 182
My guess would be bad earth- if pulling down from cig lighter then why not just earth through cig also?

Clio 182
Well if not the leds and not tbe power supply and not the earth - then surely it can only be the switch? Led strips are not the most complicated

WP_20150917_05_21_49_Pro.jpg
Update. All sorted. Ran power from the main 12v not the ignition on live and all sorted. Now looks like the inside of stretched limo on a hen night hehe...

Listerine & Poledo
Sorry fella, but (and this just an opinion, from a bloke you'll probably never meet, over the internet, so, don't take it too harshly)

That is beyond gash.
I can't even think why you'd want them like that (well, I can, but I'm not going to start making presumptions). It's marginally better than decking the whole thing out with under-floor neon, marginally.

Clio 182
Update. All sorted. Ran power from the main 12v not the ignition on live and all sorted. Now looks like the inside of stretched limo on a hen night hehe...

Hen night maybe - but cant see many birds wanting to get in a clio with lights like that [emoji23] - thought u were meaning footwell LEDs - each to their own - mind dnt get caught driving with them on [emoji106]

Sorry fella, but (and this just an opinion, from a bloke you'll probably never meet, over the internet, so, don't take it too harshly)

That is beyond gash.
I can't even think why you'd want them like that (well, I can, but I'm not going to start making presumptions). It's marginally better than decking the whole thing out with under-floor neon, marginally.
No offence taken. That's the thing with modding stuff. Its all marmite. Probably get bored with it in no time. Just like playing around with ideas.