ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wiring the TV/XBox/Tivo/Surround Sound/Blu Ray player etc etc.

A4 Avant & A3
So the wii wouldn't connect then as it's the component type lead? i suppose you could connect the audio (red/white) to the onyko & the video to the tv? although thats a bit of a pain.

So the wii wouldn't connect then as it's the component type lead? i suppose you could connect the audio (red/white) to the onyko & the video to the tv? although thats a bit of a pain.

You may be able to get a component to HDMI connector, I've no idea though, I just use the standard cables into the amp.

Clio
I'm hopefully going to ring thr Bristol branch tomorrow and pick the original one, for what I need its fine. I probably couldn't tell the difference anyway.

Thank you everyone.

MK2 PH2 1.2 16V
Mace, for a budget system that's okay. Richer sounds often give discount / free stuff if you go in, they will also set it up and give u a trial listen etc

Clio
Mace, for a budget system that's okay. Richer sounds often give discount / free stuff if you go in, they will also set it up and give u a trial listen etc

TBH I wouldn't know what I'm listening for! Thing is I want to put it on my credit card haven't used it in years so don't know my pin. Going to try and pay over the phone with it and then pick it up from the store! Crafty bugger!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I'm hopefully going to ring thr Bristol branch tomorrow and pick the original one, for what I need its fine. I probably couldn't tell the difference anyway.

Thank you everyone.

Seriously, if your going to all that effort with the room set it up so you can easily upgrade in the future. You'd be far better off in the long run spending a few hundred more now to compliment the new TV when it comes (which will be cheaper by then) and getting something like this..

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/onkyo/txsr309/onky-txsr309-blk

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/tannoy/sfx5.1/tann-sfx5.1-blk

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/363?gclid=CKaki-SfoKsCFUcMtAodhRurjA

Remember if your putting the floor down with the intention of not pulling it back up then it's well worth getting half decent speaker cable in place to future proof it...

Clio
I'm confused now? The unit I picked out gets excellent reviews and is upgradeable to 5.1 if I ever want it.... So why spend mega extra to get something I don't know nothing about! I think the sound out my 6 year old plasma is fine so I can't see what extra I'd get spending all that?

Also my living room layout isn't exactly suited to 5.1 anyway is it? surely you'd need to sit bang in the middle of the speakers?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I'm confused now? The unit I picked out gets excellent reviews and is upgradeable to 5.1 if I ever want it.... So why spend mega extra to get something I don't know nothing about! I think the sound out my 6 year old plasma is fine so I can't see what extra I'd get spending all that?

Also my living room layout isn't exactly suited to 5.1 anyway is it? surely you'd need to sit bang in the middle of the speakers?

The way I see it with all the effort your going to you might as well future proof it all. Getting separates in place would allow you to just swap it out for another better one in the future without having to re-do anything.
Things you should take into account for example are things like have you made those shelves in either corner in your other thread large enough to fit an AV amp in future? Will you want to pull the the floor up to feed cables later on (you'd be amazed at the difference decent cable makes). From you pics in the other thread (although you might have thought about it already) it looks like you haven't done any cut outs in the shelves for the cable routing to the TV, power.... Have you thought about Sub placement etc.
You don't have to spend "mega bucks" to get a good decent setup (like my above example). It's alot cheaper nowadays and you can set them to work in poorly shaped rooms.

Last edited:
Staff at the Whiteladies Richer Sounds were really helpful when I was there.

If they do their job, they'd talk you out of the all in one unit.

MK2 PH2 1.2 16V
Basically it's the same with anything, ie; coilovers; some people want the best and some with settle for less. If you haven't experienced the top performing 5.1 systems you will notice that your 2.1 is better than your tv speakers which will be fine for yourself. People like to spend hundreds updating subs.

Clio
From you pics in the other thread (although you might have thought about it already) it looks like you haven't done any cut outs in the shelves for the cable routing to the TV, power.... Have you thought about Sub placement etc.

I have thought about the holes but I need to get the rest of the frame sorted for the plasterboard before I think about the access holes! Sub is going in the big hole to the right of the TV.

Basically it's the same with anything, ie; coilovers; some people want the best and some with settle for less. If you haven't experienced the top performing 5.1 systems you will notice that your 2.1 is better than your tv speakers which will be fine for yourself. People like to spend hundreds updating subs.

I'm no buff, I just thought I'd get some new speakers for no reason other thanI need to fill the shelfs lol.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Switcher with TiVo will be fun, there's bugs in the current software which cause it to bring up a hdmi warning box a lot if the hdmi connection is "broken".

Clio
lol, thanks. I'll be opening a can of whoop ass on Virgin every night then.

Does it matter where I put the speakers?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
lol, thanks. I'll be opening a can of whoop ass on Virgin every night then.

Does it matter where I put the speakers?

Just speak slowly and clearly, because you'll be speaking to "virgin India".

Once they sort out the current set of bugs then it'll be good. The hdmi one is a pita. You have to switch the box off and back on again to get rid of the bloody message.

Clio
I noticed it was Virgin India all the time but they all see to be called David or Emma and western names! do they have fake names?

1.8 Civic EX
Mace, for the sake of an extra £20 get this set up...

http://www.richersounds.com/product/1-box-home-cinema-systems/onkyo/hts3405/onky-hts3405-blk

I was looking at the same one as you but went for the one above in the end and it's an epic system....appreciate what you have already said about the wires, and the space you have for it so probably not ideal as the one you are after has the amp built into the sub rather than these which obviously have a seperate amp (quite big too)

Also, if you sign up to Richer Sounds VIP on thier website you'll get a £10 off voucher for use with your first purchase.

For a sub, it won't make a huge difference (if any). Speakers need to be wire.

That Yamaha looks similar to the recent Onkyo linked, but better for connections.

My Onkyo is coax for the sub too, and the wires are thick, not thin.

Last edited:
  1.8 Civic EX
I know very little about home audio if I'm honest but I do know that the wire to the sub is nothing to worry about. When I crank that system up a bit the sub sounds great and happily shakes the floor/walls, but in a very good way. It's not boomy or distorted/overpowering it's kinda "there" if that makes sense. Sounds soo smooth and balanced. Infact I've had to turn the bass down a little for personal preference. It realy is a great piece of kit.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I'm looking around/into the home surround kit, & i didn't see that Onkyo one above, it looks pretty good. I take it, thats better than http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/yamaha/yht294/yama-yht294?

On comparing the 2 i've noticed the Onkyo amp has normal speaker wire connections for the Sub, all the others (including my 10 year old technics amp) have a different connector (coax is it??)

Is this an issue?

It wont be a coax lead to the sub. It will just be a single phono lead. You can get away with just a normal single lead but a single to double would be better depending what you have on your sub.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele....html?_$ja=tsid:11518|cat:3515963|prd:3515963http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele....html?_$ja=tsid:11518|cat:3515963|prd:3515963

Clio
quick question! When wiring it up, is left on the sub, left as you look at it or left as if looking out from the tv?

I'm so retarded.