ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wiring up new Horn, Help....

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
So from this thread:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=479317&highlight=momo+boss+fire

Its time for its Mot time, and its going in on monday for it. Now im trying to tackle the horn and i cant get it to work.

When the fire happend it caused this:

36315c7b.jpg

As you can see the Grey block which plugs into the original steering wheel controls the Horn, and has Red + black wire. but due to the fire the Red wire was fried.

Now i did buy a Ph1 172 horn instrument panel(the black part) and though it would be a straight swap but that wasnt the case, due to the different connections and horn button on the indicator stalk loom.

in this next picture next to the square block thing, you can see a gap were a black cable goes into, well thats also were the positive also goes, so i have tried to solder one in, but it still doesnt make the horn work :S Changed the fuse, checked the connection on the horn itself and still nothing.

b3b3635d.jpg

Now i need this to work before monday, so what can i do?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
why dont you wire in a new circuit for the horn and mount a switch somewhere else. If only to get you through the MOT untill you fix it

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
^

i have though about that, but dont know exactly how i would do it, im not that good with wiring/electrics

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
You can do it really basically just to get through mot. Run a wire from battery to a switch in the dash (fuse the wire just after the battery), then run a wire from the switch to the horn. You dont need to worry about earth as the horn will be earthed where it is mounted.

If you dont understand this I will draw you a picture.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
My ph1 stalked went straight in and worked straight away?

How?

(mk2 ph2)
The left block which is black controls the Indicators and lights, and the centre does Horn & Airbag & white block does wipers, so in terms it doesnt run on the same part of the loom,

& also the centre block to the panel is a different connector

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
You see the black and red wires at the bottom?

They connect to the stalk, then i plugged the big loom in the back, and hey presto :)

Red you mean :)

thats exactly how i did it on mine to begin with, il go and try that again now, and see what i get,

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You're diagram is wrong above mate, its as simple as this....

Live from battery to switch

Live from other side of switch to horn

Ground from horn to ground.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Battery--- fuse--- switch---horn. iirc.

This. You put an inline fuse just after the battery. You can buy fuse holders from any auto store. The switch will have 2 terminals, 1 is a feed from the battery and the other is what you connect the horn to.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Just tried it again now, i switched the black & red wire round, to see if that would make any different but no didnt work.

I know the horn works, because about 2months ago when i connected it up for the first time it went beeep.

@ Ben,

Are you only using the Stalk or the whole panel?

as iv taken the stalk off the ph1 172 panel and put it onto my ph2 panel,

go to halfrauds and get some spade connectors to use for the fuse (probably cheaper than a fuseblock for a temporary fix
like these
redspade2.jpg

just use 2 to plug onto the fuse

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Ghetto fix ;)

the horn will be staying like this when its done, unless i find a nice 172 steering wheel,

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Update:

Still doesnt work.

Did the following, Live from battery with fuse holder in place to pin 1 on the new horn button, then from horn button down to the horn,

And nothing, Did add another earth to it just incase it was that, also used 2amp/5amp/10amp fuse's none which worked.

So went to halfords and bought a new horn kit. which had a relay included, did the following.

From Live to 86 on relay, earth from 80 on relay, a line from relay to horn, a line from horn button to relay. And still nothing.

Im actually stumped as to why its not doing :s

Clio 172
appreciate it s few years old, but did you ever get this working? I'm in exactly the same boat now, and ive tried relays & simple diagrams and nothing works, all fuses keep blowing no matter what circuit diagram i use (ive used a couple)