ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Working down polish, No holograms wanted.

Ive got a blue silverline rotary, not the best no, but it works as any other so it will do for now, ive had that about a year and a half and used it countless times, mainly for light corrections etc..

But now i have my 182 i want to fully machine polish it, i have various lake country pads for cutting / polishing and waxing and the 3 polishes i have are a low, medium low and power gloss (obviously wont need that for what im doing)... those are all Mazerna, and a bottle of Meguiars swirl cutting polish..

On my old car which was black i machine polished various bits but i was still getting holograms, im using the zenith point technique, and letting the polish go clear etc, then going slow over the panel for a bit in hope to have fully broken the polish down but i dont know if im doing it right!

How long should i spend for example if i was doing a quarter of the front bonnet? or half etc..

I prime the pad with quick detailer, put about 4 small dots of polish on each corner then a dot in the middle...

I want to make sure i work the polish down this time!

Any help?

Not a 320d
I couldnt tell you how long, varies with the weather and temp, especially with the menz range.

You sure its not something trivial like using piss poor towels for buffing, or dirt in the pads. I assume you clay before hand.

Just work the polish in until its done and finish it down on a lower speed. I dont use zenith point technique although I do work it slow, speed it up until its worked and then finish it down. I dont have any issues with holograms. Just work it slowly in a pattern to make sure its been worked evenly.

Yeah my microfibres need renewing and i dont use the 2 bucket method really i just go through about 3 fresh buckets of water whilst cleaning

My microfibres are decent though, and i always make sure my pads are clean and not to re use towels.

Use a microfibre spronge, dodo supernatural soap,

The cars been iron X'd and clayed, ill give it a quick clay before i machine polish it when the time comes.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Are you finishing down with the correct polish mate.

Working a compound is important but finishing is equally as important.

ermmm... the 2 lighter mazerna polishes i have, ill try and do the cutting scale high ----------^--- low high ------------^- low I use the first of the scale, id say low to medium...

Is power gloss way to stronger cut? my paintwork is very swirly but ive read always work with a lower cut polish until you need more cut.

Should i just work the polish in properly and see what ive got first, i think im not spending enough time working down the polish... but it usually turns clear quite quickly, i think i need to chose a cold day? loads of factors come in to play dont they... the right pad and polish and breaking the polish down and refining after should see me with good results?

Not a 320d
Yeah Power gloss is a bit overkill for finishing lol. I used to use final finish on a DA with my old pearl black clio but then I only had a years worth of marring and light swirling to take care of. I dont know how hard pearl black is.

If youve got bad swirls then the idea is to remove with a heavier cutting polish or compound and then go back over with a finishing polish. Invest in some IPA to wipe down the pannels with, remove the oils and youll see how well the paintwork looks. Just how clear does it turn? Menz in the winter is pretty s**t. I invested in a heat lamp to try warm the pannels up and the garage a little when using the stuff.

Try using Power finish or Final finish, whatever theyre called these days. Work it in for a while (maybe 4-5 mins tops??!?!?! please correct me if im wrong, i dont time my work times...) and keep a good technique, finish it down and then buff and see how it looks. I just remember them being proper shitty in really cold weather.

I swear on having good drying towels and microfires as these will f**k your s**t up more than most other things will. I use these for most of my work and buffing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Detailers...ssories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item2568e20c72

Not a 320d
Dont think so, they sell them in macro. These are pretty soft, great for sealants. Not amazing for wax as the pile is too short in my opinion.

STEALTH RAIDER
Try using Power finish or Final finish, whatever theyre called these days. Work it in for a while (maybe 4-5 mins tops??!?!?! please correct me if im wrong, i dont time my work times...)

Depends on your technique mate ;)