ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Worn Steering Rack?

182 ff
mine used to clunk/clunk when I turned it parked up or going slow.. had to get a new one from Renault (smi) you part exchange your old one.. you get 2 new track rods ends with the new one..

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
When I reverse off my driveway and get close to full lock, there is a creaking noise which happens regardless of lock direction.

Could my steering rack be worn?
Had something similar recently, torqued up the rack mount bolts and all is well. Try that first.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
As said removing the rack is not fun. 4 bolts on the back of the subframe which are almost impossible to get to without dropping the subframe a fair amount.

Can be done with car on stands no problem just get it nice and high.

Think this would cover it

Remove;
top mount caps
lower gearbox mount dogbone
gearbox selector from box
those 2 rear subframe triangles
steering rack pinch bolt (just as the rack meets the steering shaft)
4 subframe bolts

Then it should drop down enough to undo the rack bolts.

As you've said though, I'd bin that and put an EPAS rack on, they have no steering bushes and bolt directly to the subframe. Loved my epas on the 182.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Couple of little bits more than that.

If you did pas delete you'd end up doing a/c delete as well. Couple of the guys use cup alternator set up with a shorter belt. I used a renault 5 bracket which was a bit smaller.

you'd also need a power cable for the steering ECU.

I'm not aware of anyone who's done it and kept ac but there might be within here http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?687703-EPAS-on-172-Cup&highlight=Epas+172

heres my guide http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?697202-How-to-fit-EPAS-to-a-172-182

Clio 182 trophy
To replace the steering rack bushes (as opposed to replacing the rack) will I need to drop the subframe to access?

And are there any specific tools that help with the access issue, like crow's feet etc.

Thanks all.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
To replace the steering rack bushes (as opposed to replacing the rack) will I need to drop the subframe to access?

And are there any specific tools that help with the access issue, like crow's feet etc.

Thanks all.

Nope, it’s a bit of an arse but I managed to replace the steering rack on mine with a socket set and some standard spanner’s leaving the subframe in place.