ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

worth changing dephaser as precaution?

ali-ham

ClioSport Club Member
  williams + 182's
im going to get the timing belt kit and aux belt kit done in the next couple of weeks, is it worth changing the dephaser while im at it as a precautionary measure or as its not noisey just leave it alone? is this an expense not really worth it.

M2 Comp
Yes.

It might be ok now, but will it be in 5 years or 70,000 miles when your belts are due next?

ali-ham

ClioSport Club Member
  williams + 182's
its on 93k, it had a belt change at 37k, then at 62k it had dephaser and belts done again, as this dephaser has only done 30k since fitted i wasnt sure what to do, but maybe i'm answering my own question when i say if im not sure take the safest route and change it as there's not much more work in it, just the price of the pulley.

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
I had mine done as it was having the full works anyway. Nothing was wrong with the existing dephaser but considering the cost if it went wrong (say, a couple of thousand miles later) it would have cost another £500 to take it all apart again. IMO it's a sensible, cost effective choice for the future.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I had a cambelt/ aux belt change at 139,600 miles. I had the dephaser changed at the same time ( even though the dephaser was still fine/ quiet)

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I have to admit that even tho this sounds crazy i will be changing mine every time i change the Timing belt kit & Aux belt kit.

ali-ham

ClioSport Club Member
  williams + 182's
Think im just gona go with a new dephaser, more money now but as some people say cud save another big bill in a couple of months time if it did start to go, which wud b my luck ok. Thanks all for your opinions, very much valued.

WRX
Most don't get noisy until about 90k. So to me that says they're good for that mileage. Every other belt change I'd say do it.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Mine was rattling its nuts off at around 40/50K and it was bad !

i will most definitely be changing mine next time belts are done, for an extra £150 or what ever you can't go wrong

Its down to oil changes and oil level. Keep on top of them and the dephaser will keep on going. Some on here have been on over 100k and still going.

It was cs that caused "dephaser panic"

Yes.

It might be ok now, but will it be in 5 years or 70,000 miles when your belts are due next?

This.

I had my belts done when I first got the car but didn't get the dephaser done as it was quiet. It started making a noise a year later. I've lived with it since but regretted not getting it done while it was there.

Ph1
This.

I had my belts done when I first got the car but didn't get the dephaser done as it was quiet. It started making a noise a year later. I've lived with it since but regretted not getting it done while it was there.

How old / mileage was the dephaser though?

Mine lasted roughly 120k's from new before it started getting noisy. Changing it with only 30k's covered is overkill.

How old / mileage was the dephaser though?

Mine lasted roughly 120k's from new before it started getting noisy. Changing it with only 30k's covered is overkill.

The dephaser had covered ~60k when I had the belts changed. Probably started knocking between 60 and 70k. On 91k now and coming up for another belt change.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Never had mine done till second belt change and it was fine regular quality oil changes it will be fine.