ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

would a focus st superchipped beat a clio 182 tuned?

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
Hawkeye;3980952 A standard 182 against a modded ST wont see much difference????.My ST eats my 172 said:
havent you just contradicted yourself there? wont get near it, but theres not a lot in it upto 60??

If we are talking about real world, on the road, then surely the fact theres nowt in it makes all the difference.

If we are talking about upto silly speeds then thats a different ball game- a modded ST is in porsche/M3 territory past 100mph.

on the road however, the fact that there is MARGINAL difference in power to weight, that there are variations in road conditions and surfaces, and not to mention various "obstacles" to overcome, then it will be so close theres no point in discussing- one car certainly wouldnt overtake the other!

and as for the torque "myth", remember, the clio is a lot lighter, has an N/A engine and gear ratios to suit the torque band. Turbos have good mid-range, yes, but you can still be caught napping.On a give and take road, the ST's mid range MAY see it pull a couple of lengths on each straight.

fact is, you take all the hot hatches, or even a selection of cars with a variance of 100bhp, and you will find there really is not much in it out on the road. Ive owned everything from a 189bhp integra, through to a 290bhp ST and I can say as a matter of fact that there is so little in the straight line speed that it matters not one jot. You'd be talking a car length at best, which, in reality, is chuff all

If you were running a 290bhp ST and could only pull a car length on a 1*2 then i will put my neck on the line and say your car wasnt running 290bhp.I own both cars right now and have had them up against each other along with a friends 182 with induction and zorst,i pull at least car length up to 60 then by 100 i am quite a considerable distance away and after that it is just pointless.My ST is running between 280-285bhp and the maximum torque kicks in at around 1650rpm as you well know but with the map i run it will keep pulling to just under 7000rpm which is a lot different to standard ST.

MKIII 138
this is a daft thread, even with extra weight a 290bhp focus or even a 280bhp focus would pull on a 182 quite hard.

a true testament is an honest ST3 owner who has said handling isnt that great.

surley straight line is licence lost, where as fun empty b road is why you love cars ?

id think best compromise is either a 197 or R26, perhaps a golf gti at a push, but the only hatches that are truley hardcore are R26, FRS, FRP, Trophy,clio172cup etc..

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
this is a daft thread, even with extra weight a 290bhp focus or even a 280bhp focus would pull on a 182 quite hard.

a true testament is an honest ST3 owner who has said handling isnt that great.

surley straight line is licence lost, where as fun empty b road is why you love cars ?

id think best compromise is either a 197 or R26, perhaps a golf gti at a push, but the only hatches that are truley hardcore are R26, FRS, FRP, Trophy,clio172cup etc..

Agreed.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
That 2.3l ST Fiesta - how much do you reckon Pumabuild raped his bank account for that? £5k? For 220bhp? So, probably in a straight line not much quicker than a 1*2/Civic Type R - and he has to drive around in a Ford Fiesta? Do you think that lad goes out to his car every morning before going to work a 18 hour shift to pay for the thing and cries?

I mean, don't go me wrong, I'm not against modified cars at all, but I always think you should at least start with something vaguely quick to start with if you're modding for performance.

Dan

Focus ST
[/quote]If you were running a 290bhp ST and could only pull a car length on a 1*2 then i will put my neck on the line and say your car wasnt running 290bhp.I own both cars right now and have had them up against each other along with a friends 182 with induction and zorst,i pull at least car length up to 60 then by 100 i am quite a considerable distance away and after that it is just pointless.My ST is running between 280-285bhp and the maximum torque kicks in at around 1650rpm as you well know but with the map i run it will keep pulling to just under 7000rpm which is a lot different to standard ST.[/quote]

1 car length upto 60 you say? Isnt that what i said previously, and that after that, not only is there no point in comparing, but its illegal on the road anyway. So, back to my original point, on the road, there is nothing in it...