ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would my car get its ass whooped...

Nissan Jewk

Against a G reg 911 porka? My old man knows this fella whos just bought one and thinks hes the dogs danglies and that itd beat anything on the road... yes, hes one of those people.... Granted its a quick car, but its old now, surely a 172 would give it a good run for its money?

cock mobile.

My mates got an old T reg 911, about 20 years old, but it produces masses of torque.

Really doubt I could keep up, but I wouldnt be a dot in his rear mirror either.

Ziel Nurburgring

Better traction, double the bhp and more torque. Think you would struggle with that one mate

Nissan Jewk

Ive no idea what 911, all I know is its a g-reg 911 lol. f**k it, ill race him on my bike and embarass him. As long as its in a straight line lol

Clio 182

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 13 April 2005
with u driving it you would get spanked mate

ROFL, the man has a point senna!

Not a Clio

G reg will be an 89.

1984-1989 911 Carrera 3.2 (european)
3164 cc
231 bhp @ 5900 rpm
284 NM @ 4800 rpm

1989-1993 911 Carrera 2 & 4
All models
3600 cc
250 bhp @ 6100 rpm
310 NM @ 4800 rpm

LOL - what is it with these people in older Porsches. I know someone who sounds exactly the same, he only has a 944 though. Again thinks this thing is the best thing since sliced bread, until he got left by another mate in a BM 320d..

Rob

Clio 182

Quote: Originally posted by MikeC on 13 April 2005
knowsit, you were there son, your my proof!

Im still slightly deaf from the awesome noise on the rollers essay! Monster!

would think you wont be too far behind.... i was chasing a 996 carrera last w/e through some carridgeway and RAs and he wasnt pulling too many car lengths on me.... on the straights that is ;)

133/225/CLS AMG

I hate people that rate themselves with how fast their car is. I met a guy with a Lancia Delta with 250bhp and every car was sh*t except his as far as he was concerned.

As tempting as it is to race the Porche just tell him to stop being a muppet and stop being so keen to make up for blatantly having small genitals haha ;)

None

I suppose if the car was stipped down there may be a slight (very slight chance) those 911s can do like 180mph tho

Quote: Originally posted by Maxx on 13 April 2005

I suppose if the car was stipped down there may be a slight (very slight chance) those 911s can do like 180mph tho
Agreed, its for that reason (180 top end) that i was vaugely keeping up with the 911 through 3rd.... then i just backed off cause there was obviously no chance after that!

182 Trophy

your having a laugh, theres no way a 172/182 would keep up with a 911. My brother in law had a c reg, hreg and the latest 993 M reg carrera. ive been in a 182 cup and yes its fast, but its got nothing on a 911.

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by Tom1 on 13 April 2005

your having a laugh, theres no way a 172/182 would keep up with a 911. My brother in law had a c reg, hreg and the latest 993 M reg carrera. ive been in a 182 cup and yes its fast, but its got nothing on a 911.
mmm i want a 993

911 will be faster. Better interior too!

Challenge him in the wet. Thats when the handling of the Clio might overcome the Porsche (if he spins it into a ditch with too much loud pedal) otherwise forget it.

Rory182 I agree. 993 is the dogs crackers.

172 GTR

If it is the 231 HP model. I would fancy my chances!!! I hammer them in the boxster so a 200 HP 172 would too!

Is your boxster 220, 230, 252 or 260 bhp?

And when you say you hammer them is this straight line speed or does it include cornering ability. I only ask because I believe the Boxster is well known as one of the best handling cars currently available and, getting my asbestos suit on now, is leagues ahead of the clio 172 (and definately better than a 911 carrera 3.2).

We are now comparing a Rear engined RWD to a mid-engined RWD to a Front engined FWD. It doesnt equate. I dont think you can draw the comparison.

Performance figures quoted for straight line speeds for 911 3.2 carrera and 964 carrera 2/4 are similar or faster than Boxster iirc.

Sorry to go off topic.
When youve raced him can you let us know what happened?

172 GTR

Quote: Originally posted by ChrisM on 13 April 2005

Is your boxster 220, 230, 252 or 260 bhp?

And when you say you hammer them is this straight line speed or does it include cornering ability. I only ask because I believe the Boxster is well known as one of the best handling cars currently available and, getting my asbestos suit on now, is leagues ahead of the clio 172 (and definately better than a 911 carrera 3.2).

We are now comparing a Rear engined RWD to a mid-engined RWD to a Front engined FWD. It doesnt equate. I dont think you can draw the comparison.

Performance figures quoted for straight line speeds for 911 3.2 carrera and 964 carrera 2/4 are similar or faster than Boxster iirc.

Sorry to go off topic.
When youve raced him can you let us know what happened?
Mine is a 2.7 230 HP car. These old 911 are never as quick as they were maybe because 150000 miles /15 years takes its toll. So if we say straight line speed is close the handleing of the boxster is far superior. 265/35/18 on the rear and mid engined. My 355 HP 911 is much faster but every time you drive the boxster you cant help thinking its a more complete car! Power is not everything.

I honestly believe that a 200 HP 172 would give an old 911 a run for its money on a twisty country lane. As the speeds rise though, the aerodynamics of the 911 will come into play so keep it below 100 (clearly on your private road ;))

PMSL @ some of the comments.

The 3.2 Carrera is a fairly light car (1200kg) with a genuine 231bhp (not some crap rolling road figure). And dont think just because its 15 years old it will be down on power, most 911s of that age will have a nice top end rebuild to keep them fresh.

So to answer the question - I would go for the 911, and given the choice its the one I would drive, the sence of occasion of being in one, even an old one is pretty special.

Dave

172 GTR

Quote: Originally posted by davyboy on 13 April 2005

I would go for the 911, and given the choice its the one I would drive, the sence of occasion of being in one, even an old one is pretty special.

Dave
It may be special, but the 172 would teach it a lesson that was the question!

172 GTR

Quote: Originally posted by davyboy on 13 April 2005

Would it heck!

I would even bet the 911 would keep your boxster honest!

Dave
if this 172 has 200 HP it would have the boxster therefore it would have the 911 too.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Danny P on 13 April 2005Quote: Originally posted by davyboy on 13 April 2005Would it heck!I would even bet the 911 would keep your boxster honest!Dave if this 172 has 200 HP it would have the boxster therefore it would have the 911 too.

200bhp, how much torque? All thro the front wheels? In a Clio?

Id take the 250bhp, huuge torque, rwd with the weight over the back axle, designed to be a sports car please :)

As for having a boxter, its well known the 2.5 was never amazing, its still pretty good though! As for the rest I cant believe a 172 even with 200bhp would beat it tbh, just my 2p.