ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would you go from a 200 back to a 1*2?

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I must admit i love my 200, the seats are very comfy and it goes well but i do like to drive a car, i had a laguna gt 180 diesel it pulled well being a turbo but was so boring, my wifes 197 is more comfy, less bumpy, but goes well no problems yet but has not done 20k miles and i do look after it which i think is the key to these cars, would i buy a 182 or phase 1, yes for sure i will be getting one for my son Matthew asap :) after seeing Scotts last week which is like brand new i think the phase one will be as sort after as a v6.

RB182cup&golf gti
I personally wouldn't as 182's are getting on now and will need more maintenance, and even if you pay a premium for a minter they're still gonna probably need more work. If you don't get on with the 200 then cash in and get something different. After all, you sold the 182 so must have not been entirely happy with it. Not dissing 182s by the way as love mine and its going nowhere!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I personally wouldn't as 182's are getting on now and will need more maintenance, and even if you pay a premium for a minter they're still gonna probably need more work. If you don't get on with the 200 then cash in and get something different. After all, you sold the 182 so must have not been entirely happy with it. Not dissing 182s by the way as love mine and its going nowhere!

I'd rather maintain a 182 than a 197/200 though. Almost everything is easier, and the parts all cost less. Don't think that mk3s don't break, becuase they do and when they break everything is £220 for a small part

Passat

If you get a well looked after 182 then it's a reliable car. Many have had clutches, belts, suspension etc done pretty recently and most other problems are just what you get with any car...any French car anyway.

I would certainly go from a 200 to a MK2.

Not the best comparison perhaps...but this week I've done 1000 miles in my girlfriends 11 plate Golf TDI. Its effortless, rattle free, economical, everything most people look for in a car. But I could not wait to get home and throw my 182 round a roundabout. Refinement is fine...but I like to drive my car, and I've never enjoyed driving like I have in my 182 (and previous 172).

I'm aware a Golf diesel is miles apart from a 200...but I can totally understand how people miss the thrill of a more simplistic and involved car.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
My 182 did around 27 over its lifetime. People on here quoting 40+ are following lorries downhill at 55mph for ten hours.

Lol trolling I assume guy. Its easy getting 40+ just don't drive like a t**t, assuming the car is running properly its easy to get it, I got 42 the other week over 500+ miles with a boot full, a passenger and the air con on the whole way.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I wouldn't go from my low miles 172 to a 200, purely due to not being able to justify the extra cost of the purchase price as it wouldn't give me a lot more than I have, apart from higher fuel bills and loan payments. However if I had cash to buy it it would be on the possible list, rather have a dc5 mind you.

RB182cup&golf gti
If you get a well looked after 182 then it's a reliable car. Many have had clutches, belts, suspension etc done pretty recently and most other problems are just what you get with any car...any French car anyway.

I would certainly go from a 200 to a MK2.

Not the best comparison perhaps...but this week I've done 1000 miles in my girlfriends 11 plate Golf TDI. Its effortless, rattle free, economical, everything most people look for in a car. But I could not wait to get home and throw my 182 round a roundabout. Refinement is fine...but I like to drive my car, and I've never enjoyed driving like I have in my 182 (and previous 172).

I'm aware a Golf diesel is miles apart from a 200...but I can totally understand how people miss the thrill of a more simplistic and involved car.

Agree with you. A French car approaching ten yrs old which will have more than likely had a hard life regardless of its service history will more than likely need more tlc. I love mine and chose not to get a 200 as prefer the 182. I'd expect to be paying out on more repairs on an older car tho. Swings and roundabouts.

I started with a 182 and loved the experience completely. Traded up to an R27 and spent months regretting it. The car was more refined but lacked the raw edge the 182 had. Bought a panda 100 hp and rediscovered the joy of chuckability. Last year I bought my Ph1 and built the track car I wanted. It has been hard trying to live with the reliability issues of an older car. Having replaced several major items and a gearbox to go, now I still have a smile on my face every time I drive it. Taking it round Combe last week made me realise what I had been missing. Also I didn't have to worry about what ifs as the car is worth more in bits than as a whole.

Meg 300Cup
Well problem solved really, the 200 is for sale and ive bought myself an ultra blue R26 (pictures in other marques)

i did really considor a mk2 again but like others have said, probably just seeing it with rose tinted glasses, The R26 is an animal that i couldn't refuse

​im still sure ill end up with another mk2 at some point, hopefully a trophy, for now, the R26 is amazing!