ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would you swap a ph2 for a Ph1?

2003 Clio 172
Ice owned my ph2 172 for nearly a year now. Had a few initial problems (mainly due to previous owners neglect) that I've paid a fair few quid to sort out. As it sits, other than an occasional notchy down change into third and a tiny paint blister near the rear bumper/arch, the car is now sorted. Problem is I'm beginning to get my head turned by the Ph1. Never really used to be a fan, and I know rust can be a killer, but I'm really starting to like them. Plus they're rarer than ph2s lol. Would I be crazy to consider swapping or selling my ph2 for a Ph1? Purely hypothetical at this point of course ?

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I think you’d be better off keeping the Ph2 IMO, with the rust being such a problem now.

If you want a ph1 that much, just put the wings/bumper and headlights onto yours.

That’s what I’d be doing

2003 Clio 172
I think you’d be better off keeping the Ph2 IMO, with the rust being such a problem now.

If you want a ph1 that much, just put the wings/bumper and headlights onto yours.

That’s what I’d be doing

The potential for rust is a concern. My ph2 is solid apart from the little paint bubble near rear arch, and that's only the result of a less than perfect repair at some point.

2003 Clio 172
I'm also at the point where I'm probably around 2.5 - 3k into a car which maybe on a good day is worth around 1500 quid. But then again, being sensible with cars has never been my strong point ?

I've owned quite a few phase twos and test drove a couple of phase 1's. I wouldn't want a phase 1 though. I don't like the front end looks, the headlights are poor, the interior looks naff and the gear knob isn't as nice to use. They didn't feel as quick either, which might be down to the longer final drive.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I'd have another. So much more connected. Phase 2's just feel a bit "normal".

The cable throttle you mean? I agree it is a bit more connected, other than that though they are the same car and feel identical to me

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
Always preferred the ph1, I’ve owned 4 over the years.

Only ph2 I would consider over a ph1 is a nice 172 cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Do it! As mentioned several times, rust is the killer. Mainly confined within the inner sills, make sure you remove the rear door speakers (takes a few mins) and stick a camera down there. I would also check the boot floor to be safe.

I haven’t see another on the road.

4A325284-6273-4A66-B714-B336DC9B38C7.jpeg
F1104B1A-42C3-4348-900F-45D64BB4431A.jpeg
2A9AE6F3-921A-43BA-8101-2BB5B510C11D.jpeg

2003 Clio 172
This thread has definitely given me some food for thought. I've spent so much time and money getting my ph2 sorted that I really am torn. Don't have the space for two Clio's so it would have to go first realistically if I did go for a Ph1. Not sure I'd get what I want for it either. Decisions, decisions ?

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
This thread has definitely given me some food for thought. I've spent so much time and money getting my ph2 sorted that I really am torn. Don't have the space for two Clio's so it would have to go first realistically if I did go for a Ph1. Not sure I'd get what I want for it either. Decisions, decisions ?

Hope the mods don’t mind.

Get on here.

D9DDC33D-904D-4CC1-B8A4-06A42F78016A.png

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
It have a Ph1 over a Ph2. I love the look of them and even the retro looking dash works. @imprezaworks ?

But as with all cars that are knocking on, you'll find issues with them. Rust being one of them, but if it's a project then you could always get it sorted and repainted.

Ph2 are more everyday, but Ph1s just feel a bit more connected. Can't describe it, but having owned both, I'd have a ph1 over a ph2.

Colabe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 17poo
I could not make my mind up on the ph1 Exclusive or the Cup ...soon as i got the cup i wish i had got the Exclusive ...if you can just get both you only live once lol

2003 Clio 172
Just out of interest, why is it that the Ph1 seems more prone to rusty sills and arches that the Ph2? Other than the front end, body wise they're the same car really aren't they? Is it purely down to age, or is the Ph1 not galvanised as well perhaps?

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
I like it all, still would kill for a mint phase 2 flamer but pretty much given up on that one.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I like it all, still would kill for a mint phase 2 flamer but pretty much given up on that one.

Zero interest in any phase 2 172 from me, not a cup, not a flamer or Monaco, none of them really do anything for me, they were just a warm up for the 182 when the styling got slightly better and colours waaaaaay better. Plus flamer is like naples..... Old man red innit

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Zero interest in any phase 2 172 from me, not a cup, not a flamer or Monaco, none of them really do anything for me, they were just a warm up for the 182 when the styling got slightly better and colours waaaaaay better. Plus flamer is like naples..... Old man red innit

Is it ok to use the c**t word on here? ?

Flamer was my first hot hatch so purely nostalgia.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Is it ok to use the c**t word on here? ?

Flamer was my first hot hatch so purely nostalgia.

Totally, use what ever word makes you happy, but to me any crimson car is just an old person bus ?