ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would you worry about these things on a track day?

S3, Polo
I'm going to Bedford GT circuit on 3rd Nov in my new-to-me 172 and I want to make sure it's tip-top before I go.

In the last 3-4 weeks, I've replaced discs & pads all-round/ braided lines/ brake fluid/ air filter/ oil & filter/ spark plugs/ coolant/ ball joints/ reluctor rings.

Well, as I've been going over the car and replacing things, I've noticed one or two things that concern me. The inner n/s CV gaiter is old and split on the outside of the retaining clip, the rest of the gaiter is in good condition and apparently supple and doing it's job. Bearing in mind it's still sound where it matters - should I worry about it and replace the part preventatively (asap) or leave it and replace it only if it fails? I plan to replace the gear oil this weekend and would like to know if I should replace the gaiter at the same time (assuming you can buy the part on it's own?).

The other thing is that 2 of the 4 Contisport Contact 3's (currently on the rear wheels) are 2mm above the wear indicator - should they be replaced/ moved to the front and the 300-mile old Conti's from the front moved to the back? I'm sure I was always told to put new tyres on the rear of a car?

Any advice welcomed! :)

Last edited:

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
People always suggest you have the best rubber on the rears, but in this case if the tyres are the same I'd suggest running them the way you currently are. Your fronts will wear much faster than the rears. You'll probably find that by the time it's time to replace the fronts the rears will have only just got to that point too.

Listerine & Poledo
Probably best to do the CV gaiter sooner rather than later.

It only needs to dump its grease and you not know about it for a few hundred miles and you'll be lining up for a driveshaft.

Put your meatier tyres on the rear, then at least you'll give the older ones a good send-off, you'll be looking to replace them soon anyway.

That's what I'd do anyway, not saying it's a good idea.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Probably best to do the CV gaiter sooner rather than later.

It only needs to dump its grease and you not know about it for a few hundred miles and you'll be lining up for a driveshaft.

Put your meatier tyres on the rear, then at least you'll give the older ones a good send-off, you'll be looking to replace them soon anyway.

That's what I'd do anyway, not saying it's a good idea.

If its as minor as he says, I'd not bother pulling it apart now and having to pay to have all the geometry setup again etc though personally.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
I'd only replace it if it fails and splits where grease can get out. Dab some tiger seal on the split and it should be fine.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I will go against what everyone else is saying about the CV gaiter. If this splits and dumps oil on your disc you are f**ked as you will need a new disc and pad.

S3, Polo
Thanks guys, it really does appear minor, so I'll go with my gut and your advice.

What I would like to know now is your views on the tyres. New ones on the front or back?

I will go against what everyone else is saying about the CV gaiter. If this splits and dumps oil on your disc you are f**ked as you will need a new disc and pad.

Appreciate the input, Owen, thanks. However, one would assume that as it's an inner gaiter, it would fling grease around the RHS of the engine bay (subframe/ battery tray/ steering rack/ ecu bracket/ etc.) rather than directly onto the disc?

For clarity, the 7-odd mm cracks seem to stop at the retaining clip on the outer end of the boot.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If its the passenger side inner, it allows gearbox oil to leak down the shaft and it ends up everywhere.

But from where you are describing the corrosion, it doesnt sound likely to leak (ie its just the loose bit after the clip which serves no purpose in terms of retaining the oil anyway)

S3, Polo
Ah, didn't think about it like that. Every day's a school day... :)

So, when the time comes that it does fail or I decide to replace it, is it worth replacing the boot or grabbing an entire second-hand shaft from RenParts or similar?

Listerine & Poledo
Back onto tyres. Burn out your near-dead ones. Besides, less tread = almost a slick!

and slickz best fur racecar ;)

Audi A5
I would say keep the better tyres on the front. 2mm of tread can be easily done at Bedford and you dont want to be driving home on illegal tyres

It also means you can scrub a bit off to help bring them down to the same amount of thread like you have on the back.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Buy a set of 2nd hand OZ F1s part worn tyres for track? Then purchase the cheaper option 15" tyres for future trackdays

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
you can buy just the boot, however fitting it is less than fun as you have to remove the tripod from the shaft or split the outer CV to get the boot/bearing over the shaft.

personally, i'd just source a decent second hand shaft and take it along with tools to drain oil and swap shaft at the trackday just in case

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Think I'd replace the gaiter before the track day. Are you driving the car there or taking on a trailer ? If it splits and throws the grease out the joint could seize. I've not been to Bedford yet but it looks a very fast track. I've seen videos of cars seeing well over 100 mph on the longest straights. If it was me I'd want the car right before I went.
I'm going on 1st December for first time