ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wow trophy number 500 for sale

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
didn't Top Gear put it round the track and it was slower? Either them or a big magazine did anyway for deffo. Put a stock valver and Williams round a track even both with 1.8 or 2.0 engines and the Williams would pan it based on the far superior setup... having owned and driven both a Williams and Valver the handling while good on the valver isn't in the same league. I think the Trophy is a cool car, but I think people get a little bit excited over what's basically the same as any other 182... in fact cant you get the Trophy seats spec'd into a new 182 at the time?
IT was evo and that is no guide... it was with different drivers in different conditions. Put it this way, they also said the Megane Trophy was quicker, than the clio trophy in terms of lap time, yet the R26 is slower on track than a clio trophy - how does that figure? I know this as I drove both yesterday and I was lapping around a second a lap slower in the Meggy. Same driver, same conditions - its the only way of telling...

That's my experience anyway, obviously your second hand account could be more accurate? chance none.

edit: just read the second page and this has already been explained....

Last edited:
  LY 200
I was not so long ago thinking of chopping mine in and buying a trophy because of the newer factor (mines an 04) and the fact it gets rave revews about its suspension, recaros etc but when i thought about it i thought (a) Im not going to track it like i havnt any of my previous cars and (b) granted it has better wheels (maybe) but iv never actually liked 'red' anyway.

My point is, imo with the above being the case i cant see the point of paying 2/3k on top of a Racing blue, Liquid or Inferno Cup/Cup packed 182 unless it was going to be used for track purposes and by some of the responces on this thread it sounds like people would kill if thats what 'number 500' was used for.

Im with the Jesus. Valver/Williams = big difference (even on the road) Trophy/182 cup doesnt.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Awesome...Hopefully whoever buys it will cherish it, and not load silly amounts of miles on it!

Tys.

who cares though, it's just a 182 with nicer seats and suspension, but only comes in one colour (and not really a desirable one either). If it was a Williams 1 I could understand not driving it as much... to a degree, but if anything a Trophy should have s**t loads more miles, it's a drivers car... apparently...

Lee has the right idea

Ditto. Not a fan of the trophy...Nice seats...thats it!

MKIII 138
it does have the kudos of being a trophy with its colour and sticker on the side, joe average probably would think it was better than the 182 for that reason.
however it was good in bringing rsport back into mainstream conciousness.
the R26 does the same thing from a marketing point of view.

but in the end a 225cup or R26 or a 182 cup or trophy it will come down to the driver.

as an aside...

i was under the belief that trophy number 499 was the best cos it is the smallest number with the property that its first 12 multiples contain the digit 9

or even

number 6, (the smallest perfect number)...

ahem see here for more trophy bragging details..
http://www.stetson.edu/~efriedma/numbers.html

ignore any numbers over 500..

IT was evo and that is no guide... it was with different drivers in different conditions. Put it this way, they also said the Megane Trophy was quicker, than the clio trophy in terms of lap time, yet the R26 is slower on track than a clio trophy - how does that figure? I know this as I drove both yesterday and I was lapping around a second a lap slower in the Meggy. Same driver, same conditions - its the only way of telling...

That's my experience anyway, obviously your second hand account could be more accurate? chance none.

edit: just read the second page and this has already been explained....

lol, Trophy owner by any chance?

conditions and driver differences can play a part, but I'd hope that both are on a similar skill level or it makes any and every test they have ever done complete pointless...

So, while you drove your Trophy on track did you try a 182 Cup to see if there was any difference? The Megane is nor here nor there, it doesn't figure into things, the fact you own and drive a Clio daily means you'd be much more confident and used to the way it drives, handles and delivers power and going on how much slower I could drive my 172 when I got it then you'd probably be quicker in the Megane if you were more used to it. There are loads of variables to factor in granted, but for them still to be that similar with seeminly no deffinitive reviews saying one is deffinitely quicker than the other then logically they are pretty much on a par it's fair to say.

Does the Trophy have a wider front or rear track, and does it run and more camber than the 182's? It's a great car, I just would pay the extra for what you get. 182 with turini's, recaro options and Leda's would still work out cheaper probably and be at least as good and it wouldn't be limited to one colour... I'm not dissing the Trophy, just saying it's not really 'that' special to me personally... having said that the Trophy and 172 Cup would be the only Mk2's i'd consider a change to.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
slightly wider track than the 182 on which the Trophy is based.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid
I'd rather have the 10k niles one on ebay that went for £9.5k. That would have been a years free motoring at that price.

Just because a car is numbered 500 does it mean it was the last made, ie did anyone look at date purchased and number issued? 500 could have been made anytime but numbered 500 for competition puposes. It's only a number.

Mercedes C Class Sport
No, a trophy is the limited edition 182 in capsicum red, anthracite turinis, and awesome suspension and v6 spoiler. i might have missed some things off too

No, a trophy is the limited edition 182 in capsicum red, anthracite turinis, and awesome suspension and v6 spoiler. i might have missed some things off too

Its a Cup spec car with none Cuped hubs (for some reason). WIth the fancy seats as well.

Sachs suspension.

Clio 172 mk2
it does have the kudos of being a trophy with its colour and sticker on the side, joe average probably would think it was better than the 182 for that reason.
however it was good in bringing rsport back into mainstream conciousness.
the R26 does the same thing from a marketing point of view.

but in the end a 225cup or R26 or a 182 cup or trophy it will come down to the driver.

Totally agree....Renault got the marketing bang on and judging by us lot pining over Trophys for those subtle differences etc it's worked.

Real world probably b**ger all difference

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
I'd rather have the 10k niles one on ebay that went for £9.5k. That would have been a years free motoring at that price.

Just because a car is numbered 500 does it mean it was the last made, ie did anyone look at date purchased and number issued? 500 could have been made anytime but numbered 500 for competition puposes. It's only a number.

nope, the numbering sequence was down to how they came off the production line. To my knowlegde it was the last built, not the last one registered though, so there will be 06 plate trophy's which appear to be newer, that's just because they weren't road registered until later though.

cup 182 mit stripes
He does'nt say why he's selling it. After spending that money I'd be keeping it for life.

Why would you buy that when you could have this for 3.5k less?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/169931.htm

Mmmm, a good trackday beast, but maybe not such good reliability with all those mods...

I have a similar spec engine. Apart from some initial problems I have had no reliabiltiy issues in the last 18 months it has been fitted.

You obviously dont get such good economy, cold start and idle. It lacks refinement. But then again its faster, is a nicer colour, looks better, handles better ;), and has better seats ;).

172 gone :( 197 now :)
Im about to buy a trophy and the reason im getting one is because it already has everything i want to do to my clio and ive had enough of moddifying i does my head in and costs too much to insure i got a garage full of bits ive put on my car and taken back off after a few weeks! I jus want to buy a trophy fit silvervisions and keep it standard!
Number 500 is tempting and i woulod definitely have it just for the number but its too expensive despite the milage!
In fact trophy's seem to be altogether far too highly priced i jus hope the prices stay high after ive bought one!

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
why spend all that money on it - all top notch work, done by the best in the business, yet no cold air feed for the engine? Surely having had that work done, to get the best out it you'd need to supply as much cold air to engine as possible, plus he doesn't make mention of any live remap - so i doubt it's running as efficiently as it could.

Im about to buy a trophy and the reason im getting one is because it already has everything i want to do to my clio and ive had enough of moddifying i does my head in and costs too much to insure i got a garage full of bits ive put on my car and taken back off after a few weeks! I jus want to buy a trophy fit silvervisions and keep it standard!
Number 500 is tempting and i woulod definitely have it just for the number but its too expensive despite the milage!
In fact trophy's seem to be altogether far too highly priced i jus hope the prices stay high after ive bought one!

As they only made 500 UK spec cars I would hope that the prices will stay slightly higher than a 182.

Might not happen but I love my car and am happy to keep it.

:)

172 gone :( 197 now :)
ooh do you have a carbon bonnet? got any bigger pics? :)
There's me saying im going to keep it standard and now im drooling over your bonnet! :)

why spend all that money on it - all top notch work, done by the best in the business, yet no cold air feed for the engine? Surely having had that work done, to get the best out it you'd need to supply as much cold air to engine as possible, plus he doesn't make mention of any live remap - so i doubt it's running as efficiently as it could.

He runs an OMEX standalone ECU that will have been RR and road mapped.

His maxogen setup is not the best. As you say more cold air would be nice but running CAF pipes down to the bumper causes restriction in the breathing so its not easy to do.

My car has been RR'd at 194bhp on a conservative RR (standard 182s aparrently run 173/4bhp on it.) I think Ross's car is probably around 210-215bhp because he has a wilder cam profile then mine. At the end of the day it would waste a standard trophy.

Last edited: