ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wrap vs plastidip

Clio 2.0 16v 182
I'm after opinions on long term results. People have been telling me wrap is better long term but plastidip is easier.

Basically I'm feeling lazy and my paintwork is dogshite. Wouldn't mind wrapping the whole car if the result lasts a few years but really wouldn't mind plasti dipping if it doesn't fade/discolour

renault clio 1.4 16v
Wrap it if you looking for long term, plastidip dosnt discolour but it chips and peals off fairly easily...

Clio Trophy
Wrap it if you looking for long term, plastidip dosnt discolour but it chips and peals off fairly easily...

+1 to this, i have plastikote most of my black plastics, the bumper strip and rear window wiper are are holding out, but the exhaust trims need re doing, and its chipping off the wing mirrors

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
And decent wrap will cost you near enough a respray cost - unless you are planning on one of these places that will do it for £300? If so, don't expect a great finish

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I see both options as burning money and for me it turns a good car into a cat c.. I just wouldn't buy one..

Which brings me back to my first point, it's mostly burning money.. Buy a different car.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
a decent wrap wont cost you as much as a respray. It depends on who wrapping it though. Trust me, there are a lot of cowboys doing it.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I see both options as burning money and for me it turns a good car into a cat c.. I just wouldn't buy one..

Which brings me back to my first point, it's mostly burning money.. Buy a different car.

I second this, it does usually make cars look like write offs.

Speaking of which, do people think a diffuser is wrappable?

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
my car being wrapped.

the people who did it were crap.

Plastidip is Crap... I had mine done before the wrap. Ruined the paint when removed. and bubbled in placed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-28-22-28-57.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-28-22-28-57.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 67

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
vinyl wrapping wont damage a cars paint if done properly. Getting the temperature of the vinyl is key in this though as if you do heat it to much, it will either a) burn through the vinyl or b) adhere the glue permanently to the paintwork.
What I would advise is using a scrap panel from the scrapyard and having a practice first before doing it to your own car.
It is achievable in a garage but I wouldn't recommend doing it on a driveway or outside as you will not get a good finish.

I do this on a daily basis (mainly vans) and is fairly straight forward once you get the knack. Especially if your are only applying a flat colour to the whole vehicle. If you are trying to match up stripes / patterns on multi panels then it becomes more advanced.

Either way, like I say, have a practice and see how you get on. It's your own car so take as long as you want doing it. Rather get it right first time than have to rip it off and start again.

Have fun :)