ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WTF Clio cup vs Fiesta ST

Too fecking right, havent read the article fully but no doubt it lost on driving position and cabin quality rather than where it counts!

Ziel Nurburgring

VFM? Hmmm, i think some brown envelopes were passed in this test or is that just a bitter snipe from a clio owner?

i cant speak for the ST but i had a 1.4 LX for a few days and it was sound as a pound. Couldnt fault it in anyway. A lovely car to drive.

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 12 January 2005

VFM? Hmmm, i think some brown envelopes were passed in this test or is that just a bitter snipe from a clio owner?
Moi:oops: no it got 3 stars for vfm out of 5 and a neg point was costly to run, every other mag thinks £ 4 £ its the best!!

Im gonna get flamed but i dont care,

i was actually thinking about getting an ST for my next car instead of a 182. Few reasons really. The interior looks nice (IMO) probably wont rattle as much, price of the car isnt really any different from a 182, however the insurance for me is nearly £1000 cheaper for the ST than a clio.

Reckon they must be NUTS.....VFM goes to the CUP, its gotta be the best VFM car around.....it would p*ss all over the Fiesta ST150.... £ for £

..but then again (like I have been told many times before on this forum) some people have different opinions.....:eek:

Simon

It seems that some people here are confusing what VFM is.

Just cause the cup is faster than the ST doesnt make it better VFM.

If its speed you want then get a cup, if you want a quick car with aircon etc etc then get the ST.

Quote: Originally posted by Guilbert on 12 January 2005

If its speed you want then get a cup, if you want a quick car with aircon etc etc then get the ST.

If its speed you want then get a cup, if you want a quick car with aircon etc etc then get the 182....;)

Simon.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Also I have no doubt there will be alot less faults with the Fez. As good as Clios are to drive they are terribly un-reliable. Before people skin me and say theirs has been fine look back at the amount of 182 glitchs in recent months.

TBH the 3 rivals were only warm hatches fezza, fabia RS and seat ibiza 1.8 T so maybe the clio was too performance orientated for them its figures seem to say so!

Quote: Originally posted by Matt16v on 12 January 2005

Also I have no doubt there will be alot less faults with the Fez. As good as Clios are to drive they are terribly un-reliable. Before people skin me and say theirs has been fine look back at the amount of 182 glitchs in recent months.

My wife has a Fiesta (new shape) 1.6 16V Zetec and it has been nothing but trouble...and it rattles a lot (done 35k miles)...I would not want one....

Plus you bound to hear of a lot more clios problem on here than Fiesta problems, it being a Clio site and all......;)

Simon.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Guilbert on 12 January 2005

It seems that some people here are confusing what VFM is.

Just cause the cup is faster than the ST doesnt make it better VFM.

but the 182 cup has aircon?????

dk

911 GTS Cab

There is a pattern here, the 182 always does badly in autoexpress tests, they have never rated it up with the others, when up against the Cooper S it has lost a couple of times and if anyone has seen their Hot Hatch DVD it only comes 8th (full fat 182 that is) behind the CTR, Cooper S and Fabia Vrs and surprise surprise the cooper S comes first (IIRC) as they love it!

Maybe they are moving onto the Fiesta now but as I said, they have never had a very high regard for the 182 since it was released so I am not at all surprised, I just discount anything they say, normally I like Autoexpress but after having seen the DVD I had for my Birthday It was making me angry just watching it as they didnt rate it very good at all!

Quote: Originally posted by Matt16v on 12 January 2005

i wouldnt be surprised if you get the same on fezza forums. my ex used to work for ford and got a company car and without exception all of them had one issue or another in the 3months she had each of them.

Whats the insurance group on an ST, I used to have a 1.6 Si which for a reasonably quick car was only group 8 insurance, thing like that will have been considered for these tests. Where most people here will be willing to compromise on the Clios bad point (OMG yes it does have some) a magazine generally will rate the car across the board. Just because it isnt as quick/slow doesnt make it a worse/better car.

Sorry i didnt realise it was a 182 cup.

But even so, its like i said - for me anyway the insurance on a ST is £1000 cheaper than on a 182 or even a 172. (im 21 by the way)

The 182 cup is just a gimmick, as many of you have said before. The 182 with cup packs is a much nicer car.

But this is all my opinion, but for the everyday driver as has been said the 182 cup may be a bit to performance orientated for them. When i can afford the new car then i will be test driving the ST and the 182, so will let you know then what i thin kof both. Obviously the 182 is going to be the quicker car, but i live in a city so speed is rarely an issue for me, and to be honest the clios driving position isnt great.

BMW 120i Sport

Well I own a MK5 Fez Zetec-S in addition to the 182, and its had a wad of problems (just look at the owners club website), some of which include the following:

1. Engine pinking, needs super unleaded (timing problem)
2. The usual squeeks and rattles
3. Rusting after 3 years old (dealer wont fix as its abbrasion corrision and not failure of the anti-corrosion layer)
4. Two lines of the rear de-mister dont work
5. Rear brake drums buggered about 40k miles
6. Slight buckling of one front wheel and back wheel
7. Traction control is fcking hopeless above 15 mph
8. Steering pulling slightly left

And the rest...!

Servicing was also costly, it simply ate break pads/discs.

Quote: Originally posted by Pete on 12 January 2005

Whats the insurance group on an ST, I used to have a 1.6 Si which for a reasonably quick car was only group 8 insurance, thing like that will have been considered for these tests. Where most people here will be willing to compromise on the Clios bad point (OMG yes it does have some) a magazine generally will rate the car across the board. Just because it isnt as quick/slow doesnt make it a worse/better car.

Im not entirely sure on the group.

But for the year just gone, i paid £790 odd for insurance on my 1.2 for me and my mum, all mods declared (without mods, it would be about £700) This was for 10 months only.

Im 21 and had 1 years NCB.

I got a quote with the same company (elephant) with 2 years NCB (still only 21) and they wanted £798 fully comp for me and my mum. And that was for 12 months

I know the 1 year extra NCB will help, but for a 182 they want about £1600-£1700 fully comp for me.

Thats a big difference. And at 21 150bhp is plenty of power for me. The car comes with short shift gears standard too. 17s, lowered, sports tuned steering (which i would assume is the same on the clio).

But it is a good car for the money, and cheaper to run by the looks of things.

funniest thing ive heard today

autoexpress should be renamed bestreviewtothehighestbidderexpress.

not very catchy but you get the point

Quote: Originally posted by iceblue182 on 12 January 2005

Just because a magazine doesnt like a Clio doesnt mean its taking back handers, if you look away from the performance side of things and start looking at costs of parts, insurance, comfort, turning circle etc etc youll see that the 172/182 isnt the greatest car in the entire world. Jesus take the blinkers off guys.

Weeman sucks ****

Agreed pete. Similar sized cars and price bracket and as said above probably a nicer cabin. I saw one outside work the other day and it looked ok, I wish theyd bring that RS one out, that looked the nuts.

Thanks pete, i was starting to think that just cause these guys own a clio sport that there wasnt any hope for other cars in the world.

Just accept it guys. the clio isnt the best car in the world. And im sure this magazine isnt the first or the last to say.

I know many of you dont like what clarkson says about most cars, but even he said the clio isnt great. they had the ST on there the other day and he loved it.

Just because a magazine doesnt like a Clio doesnt mean its taking back handers, if you look away from the performance side of things and start looking at costs of parts, insurance, comfort, turning circle etc etc youll see that the 172/182 isnt the greatest car in the entire world. Jesus take the blinkers off guys.

i have been trying to same the exact same thing for a while lol

BMW 120i Sport

I think the ST is a decent car, looks brilliant in white with blue racing stripes:

http://www.rsstoc.com/forums/index.php?&act=garage&CODE=14&type=garage&id=1

Its an insurance friendly hot hatch and quite monumental for Ford as its the first hot fiesta since the RS Turbo / XR2i. It has a 0-60 of 7.9 (so 0-62 will be in the 8s - far from lightning performance), solid breaks and a decent chassis all for ~£13k (wait until the importers get their hands on em, you could be looking at £10k brand new)

Of course, the 182 will out-handle it and out-accelerate it but I think the 182 Cup is just a poor mans 182 and the interior is as boring as it comes (until we get Recaros in it). Id be torn between the ST and the 182 Cup, but in honesty i wouldnt have either (hence why ive got a 182 ;))

ok very long post but please read as it took ages to type..
clarkson claimed the new golf gti was the best hothatch ever, the nite before the show was filmed he had dinner with the boss of vw. 5th gear also said the golf gti was the best hothatch.. they gave away a brand new 20k golf gti on that episode ? WFT the most they have ever given away is a pair of driving gloves. autoexpress ? well i havent heard any stories but this is not to defend the 182 but most journos are biased wouldnt you be if you could add another couple of thow a year on your wage. after all people are going to buy what suits them anyway... ive never been influenced by a magazine to buy a car.

forgetting power (182 has more and smoother too)

forgetting handling (most small sport cars are exellent these days, although the 182 is better even if by a small margin)

forgetting safety (fiesta probably has more due to newer design, does it have 4 airbags ? technically the 182 has 5 anyway with the twin weight dependant steering airbags. seatbelt pretensioners, proper isofix child seat belts)

forgetting cost (fiesta probably wins this but for the last three years people have compared the 172/cup/182 to cars costing twice as much)

forgetting consumption (182 if driven carefully can reach a generous 40mpg)

forgetting equipment ( airconditioned glove box, cruise, speedlimiter, fingertip stereo controls, climate control, fast clear windscreen, cdplayer, xenons, headlamp washers, leather seats, only satnav is an option so basically kitted like a 40k car)

forgetting build ( fiesta probably has a clear lead although you take your chances with any car you buy and my 172 has been completly beasted from cold for £27,000 miles and has developed no faults touch carbon)

so forgetting those yes the ST makes sense, if you cant afford to run a 182. so in essence a pointless autoexpress review as the 182 is not even in the same catagory imo. 0-60 in 6.8 or 6.6 secs 139 mph 30-70 in 6.4 secs 60-0 faster than some porches and deffo faster than many normal road cars. special mitchelin tires.. the list is endless.. no wonder for that price that the build isnt audi level

[Edited by cliotuRS on 12 January 2005 at 10:25am]

I know what your saying Pete but this was a hot hatch shoot out so surely handlinga nd performance should take presecdence (sp) over boot space?

RB182cup&golf gti

who really seriously cares what the likes of the magazines and clarkson and co think. We all know the 182 is a better car for the reasons that matter to us....

I cant get auto express where I live until tomorrow but I am interested to know what acceleration times all the cars got, any chance someone could post them? (this is the only thing road tests are good for IMO, the rest is just one persons opinion)

[Edited by chrismac on 12 January 2005 at 10:47am]

[Edited by chrismac on 12 January 2005 at 10:49am]

The cars appeared to have been figured in the dry!

0-60

Fezza ST 8.2 secs

Clio 182 cup 6.9 secs

Seat Ibiza 150bhp turbo 7.3 secs

Skoda VRS 8.5 secs (not bad tbh)

Thanks,

That seems a pretty unimpressive time for the ST, I would have expected a sub 8 sec 0-60 time.

[Edited by chrismac on 12 January 2005 at 11:04am]