ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WTF Clio cup vs Fiesta ST

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 12 January 2005

30-70 through the gears

Fezza ST 7.8 secs

Clio 182 cup 6.3 secs

Seat 7.3 secs

Skoda 8.1 secs

that where it counts.. + look at the skoda vrs with its 230+lbft of torque all that midrange diesel power an its still the slowest. also 6.9 to 60 is much faster than the others but i belive its possible to get faster than that 6.6 is generally agreed on this forum to be about right.
btw isnt that a missprint i thought the new ibiza 1.8T was 180bhp ?

astra break

Quote: Originally posted by SimonV6 on 12 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Guilbert on 12 January 2005

If its speed you want then get a cup, if you want a quick car with aircon etc etc then get the ST.

If its speed you want then get a cup, if you want a quick car with aircon etc etc then get the 182....;)

Simon.

AMEN!

Note on the Skoda, that is through the gears...take a look at 30-50 (4th) or 50-70 (5th/6th) and I would imagine the figures to be closer..cos thats when the torque really makes itself felt..

[Edited by Rob555 on 12 January 2005 at 11:25am]

BMW 120i Sport

Thatll be the Ibiza FR which is a 150 bhp 1.8T unit.

Easily chippable to 180 bhp, and 215 bhp if youre brave enough to run that much boost (no thanks...).

Quote: Originally posted by Rob555 on 12 January 2005

Note on the Skoda, that is through the gears...take a look at 30-50 (4th) or 50-70 (5th/6th) and I would imagine the figures to be closer..cos thats when the torque really makes itself felt..

Yeah the in gear times for the skoda were the fastest by far!

Clio 182

Id have the 182 w/ cup packs over an ST all day long, better spec, quicker, better handling etc! and 8.3 is LAME for a car with 150bhp.

The new ibizas are slow too, I toasted one with my lowly 150bhp....

funnly enough if i didnt want the 182 id get the fabia vrs. my bros got one and they corner really well i.e roundabouts tighish turns, although not as good on long sweeping highspeed straights where it can be a case of who dares wins. It 8.3 to 60 and for £300 the 180+ hp and 300lbft of torque give a 6.7 to 60 time (end of jan hes gettin it jabbad and springs) and still returns 50mpg if driven carefully. Hes fitted a seat front strut brace and it steers more directly and grips more, also seems to get powerdown better. theres no rattle and there really nice to drive, but i think there very ugly and bland inside (typical vw) its also cheap to buy and insure and reliable (although price are rising on them now for list to keep out of the hand of boyracers. i image by feb his fabia will be faster by around two three car lenghs to !00mp than my 172 and in gear faster.. also the cornering isnt too far off. Also though the road noise on the faiba inside is very high like the ibiza range.. but the clio is very silent for a car of its type.. and the skoda badge well..

why the fabia is on that test i dont know though as its a hatchback not a supermini, they should have had the Cupra pd160 v 182 v mini cooper v ford st IMO.

horses for course. i wouldnt choose the ford as fords are bland as vw but without the build quality or residuals or tuning parts.

VaVa

Thought it might be.... but who does 30-50 in fourth in a 172/182??

Cant fault the diesels really though. So easy to drive fast. No work required from the driver at all. Just a shame some drivers think they the fastest thing on earth (Passat TDi and Mondeo TDci drivers are the worst offenders imho). I had to teach a Mundano diesel driving friend of mine that his car isnt at all quick. He was equally shocked and disapointed that a nippy hot hatch had literally dissapeared out of his sight!!

Quote: Originally posted by cliotuRS on 12 January 2005

30-70 through the gears

Fezza ST 7.8 secs

Clio 182 cup 6.3 secs

Seat 7.3 secs

Skoda 8.1 secs

that where it counts.. + look at the skoda vrs with its 230+lbft of torque all that midrange diesel power an its still the slowest. also 6.9 to 60 is much faster than the others but i belive its possible to get faster than that 6.6 is generally agreed on this forum to be about right.
btw isnt that a missprint i thought the new ibiza 1.8T was 180bhp ?

There is something wrong with the Fabias 30-70 time, Autocar for example managed 7.4 30-70 in both the Fabia and also the Ibiza TDI sport with the same engine.

Also its the Ibiza Cupra (petrol) that has 180bhp, the car tested was the 150bhp Ibiza FR

[Edited by chrismac on 12 January 2005 at 12:43pm]

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 12 January 2005

Thought it might be.... but who does 30-50 in fourth in a 172/182??

Cant fault the diesels really though. So easy to drive fast. No work required from the driver at all. Just a shame some drivers think they the fastest thing on earth (Passat TDi and Mondeo TDci drivers are the worst offenders imho). I had to teach a Mundano diesel driving friend of mine that his car isnt at all quick. He was equally shocked and disapointed that a nippy hot hatch had literally dissapeared out of his sight!!
No diesels are a completely different drive and like you say effortless as it all happens from just above tick over. A friend of mine has a BMW 320d sport which has been chipped, and that seriously flies...mind you anything with 200bhp and 300lb/ft of torque should. The standard 18in on the Sport means it goes well around the corners aswell...have left RSTs for dead in it three up..

[Edited by Rob555 on 12 January 2005 at 12:57pm]

R26

RFLOL - what are you all stressed about - its a Ford Fiesta - infact, its a Ford ! Who gives a sh*t about it - I dont.

1) its slow

2) its a ford

3) its a fiesta

4) its going to be a chav mobile in 10 minutes

5) its going to be a chav mobile in 9 minutes

6) you will all be able to discipline the chav that trys it on at the lights/ mway etc.

7) I really dont look at it as being the same class as the clio - its a boxy piece of cack.

8) The fiesta xr2i - the one and only original CHAV mobile.

So in conclusion - relax sit back and think to yourself - i have a 182 - thank f**k for that.

Octavia VRS

would have the 182 out of that test anyday of the week! dont think the fiesta st is that bad but nowhere near clio.

again if i couldnt get a 182, id go for the fabia, they are really growing on me

R

rich[182]

I used to be in the RS owners club in the mid-late 90s when I owned a Fiesta RS Turbo, I still see some of the guys that are still members and can tell you that many of the members arent interested in the ST150.

The bottom line is that its no quicker than a Fiesta RS Turbo which is over 10 years old and had the CVH engine, Thats 0-60,30-70,0-100

Ok the build quality may be better than the 182 and insurance will be less, And the handling will be good but at roughly same price as the 182 it just doesnt cut it for me

Embarrassed to say

You get 80% of the fun of an evo/scoob/any car under 30k in a clio rs and they cost nothing to run in comparison. Why did evo vote it second in their car of the year because its an excellent car thats why, no fiesta will ever get this accolade.

I think an rs fiesta will be the present rs clios only competitor, and an rs fiesta will cost considerably more if is ever comes.

i like clios but i think the fiesta is a much better looking car, tbh i doint car about turning circle.. (thats wot handbrakes are for) value for money running costs, if they are that much differ4ent id want a better car thatn a clio. the clio is not the be all and end all of cars.

Oh no, shock horror. 182 gets a bad review.

Maybe its not the best thing since sliced bread after all?

;)I can smell insecurity

ST150 sounds disapointing to be honest, do have a soft spot for rs fords but for a 2.0 16v the power and 0-60 etc well...only sounds a little warm rather than hot hatch.

To be honest think the fiesta is probably more comparable to the 1.6 16v than the 182 or anything. Trying to look as unblinkered as I can but when u think a normal 182 with cup packs wouldnt be a lot more I know which Id rater have...

all ive seen so far far performance figures being quoted

i woulodnt buy a car solely on performance, its got to be a whole package, cost or running, cost of repairs, insurance category, tax classification, comfort, looks etc etc, sadly IMHO the clio is let down by all of the above with the exception of the performance, which is one reason id never buy a 172/182/cup variants

the fiesta, as most people know, is a very capable car, handles well, just could do with more power, the clio is the other way around, completely useless with the exception of its performance

^ my 2ps worth

in answer to the question which one would i buy? id get a 2nd hand leon cupra

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

Why do cup owners still think the car is unbeatable!

Yeah it may be this an that but there is no written law that nobody will be allowed to make a better car!! An the ST may be down on power but ford are bloody good at makin Good driver chassiss. It may not do the 0-60 in the same as a cup but the interior is nicr an i bet they wont have the problems the renno does! I bet insurance is a lot less, my 2ltr turbo ford is less to insure than my 172! Parts will be cheaper etc, all these add up in review.

The clio is a great car, i own 1 but it really aint the best car ever, neither is the fiesta but it would seem this time it came out above the rattly french hatch!

VaVa

Steves right ^^ Although to say fords have less problems than Renaults is a brave statement indeed in my experience...lol

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

i actually helped to develop some of the systems on the ST when i worked for ford.

Its a good car but performance wise its not quite with the clio.

Its very similar to its focus cousin, good but not quite good enough.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

well we all know wot FORD stands for but it just gets up my nose how narrow minded some people are!

Personally id be thinkin, well if its better than my cup maybe i may have to test drive that an see for myself then i can comment, not drive a cup then decide all other cars are crap before driving them!!

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

I own a 172 Cup and here is my opnion

Perormance and handling for the money is a bargin!!!!!!!

BUT the build quality and aftersales is w**k! and i mean w**k!

Steve is right 100%

VaVa

Ive driven an FRS, Mondeo TDCi, Focus TDCi, Focus ST170, Fiesta Zetec amongst others. These are all friends cars and every one has had more reliabilty or build quality issues than my 172.

Im not going back to days gone by when all fords were rubbish, or taking silly acronyms as gospel, Im going by my own experience. Irs all I have. Im sorry if you dont like the fact my experiences and opinion are contrary to yours!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by RS-Steve on 13 January 2005

well we all know wot FORD stands for but it just gets up my nose how narrow minded some people are!

Personally id be thinkin, well if its better than my cup maybe i may have to test drive that an see for myself then i can comment, not drive a cup then decide all other cars are crap before driving them!!

i agree. but we all know that the FieRS was supposed to be the real 182 chaser. Its a shame ford decided not to do it.

If it was me making the decisions the st would be canned but hey..

agree completely with this statement

lets face it, the 172/182 is a 4/5 year old car now, starting to get a little long in the tooth while other manufacturers are developing their cars with each facelift, the gap in abilities will obviously come down through time

who knows, if reno get it right with the facelift model, then the planned 190+bhp clio may be streets ahead of all its rivals again, if they get it wrong, the ST and others will sell far more units

clio 172/182/cups bad points

expensive servicing, repairs
for the performance, expensive to insure
poor cab quality
poor driving position
slowly dated appearance
no major improvement over previous variants ie. 172 to 182

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

Not arguin lagerlout i know of loads of faults with both makes.

im talkin about the narrow mindedness of a few on here! People sl*g a car off before they have experienced it just because its not a CUP!!

VaVa

Not arguin lagerlout i know of loads of faults with both makes.

im talkin about the narrow mindedness of a few on here! People sl*g a car off before they have experienced it just because its not a CUP!!

Sorry mate, got the wrong end of the stick.... I dont even own a Cup lol...:oops:

Totally agree with you though dude. Ive been reading an almost identical post to yours on th MG forum earlier about peoples blinkered views towards cars and thier manufacturers. Gets up my nose a little too!!

R

rich[182]

build quality and reliability of my Fiesta RS Turbo was excellent, very very under rated hot hatch IMO, No reason to think ST150 will be any different

Some interesting comments being made here.

I for one will be giving the ST a test drive in the summer. I dont expect it to not have any problems at all. You can expect any car not to have problems. If its man made, then it will break!

Personally i prefer the looks of the ST too. Maybe thats due to the way i was brought up, but i have always liked the sporty fords.

And no doubt being a FORD, it wont be long before there are some serious engine mods, at low prices for the engine. And i doubt it wil take much at all to get the BHP up to the Cup level. at which point the fiesta will be a much better car.

All IMO

133/225/CLS AMG

The Fiestas are good cars but a lot simpler than the Clios in regard to features and build quality.

My missus has an X reg Fiesta Zetec-S and its a really good car, with minimal rattles considering its on 27.5k miles. But not as many features, styling touches and not touchable on the performance. Only think I would say though is that considering it only 4 1/2 years old there is some rust whic surpsises me on a modern car.

As said before though, its all personal preference and if youre happy with what car youve got, be it Fiesta, Clio whatever then thats good. :D

Quote: Originally posted by Pete on 12 January 2005

Whats the insurance group on an ST, I used to have a 1.6 Si which for a reasonably quick car was only group 8 insurance, thing like that will have been considered for these tests. Where most people here will be willing to compromise on the Clios bad point (OMG yes it does have some) a magazine generally will rate the car across the board. Just because it isnt as quick/slow doesnt make it a worse/better car.
The Si is the slowest 1.6 in the world, my old cinq sporting rpped them apart up 2 70!!! I hate fords!!!

The ST is a totally different car to the Zetec mate. It comes with all the same bells and whistles as the 182. Just lacks the extra 32bhp.

to get the fiesta to better 182 performance level i.e 6.8 to sixty and 139mph would require around a 40bhp gain. Given that the fiesta weighs more than the 182 and is already 32hp down.

this would generally mean turbo charging or supercharging and at what cost ? £3,000 notes or more. spend that on the 182 and see 210hp+ and 0-60s sub 6 and 145mph or higher which is as fast as you ever need to go in a small car.

Wouldnt say I was narrow minded, but if you own a car in the performance category, you own it cos you like/love it and you want it to have the best performance/spec/STATUS, available. It hurts getting beaten in this My new hot hatch is better than yours war and this is a site orientated towards Renault Clios.

And lets face it the renaultsport versions of this humble hatch have built up a cult status and following in performance sectors.

Driving a 182 I for one wouldnt like to admit defeat and dont think we should lay down to the Fiesta ST yet. Particularly as its heavier/less power/slower!!

[Edited by tombourne182 on 1/13/2005 1:18:43 PM]

lol at this, autocar reviewed it few weeks ago and the 182 beat the st, new golf gti subaru wrx etc, now its down to the reviewers/editors personal opinion (sometimes swayed by cash), dont worry about it , the only fiesta that would have given the 182 problems would have been the rs (and i serioulsy would have no doubts and would have bought it straight away, as i believe it would have been 10 times better than the 182 ) but as its canned then we will be ok for a while:D

Quote: Originally posted by 182blue on 13 January 2005
lol at this, autocar reviewed it  few weeks ago and the 182 beat the st, new golf gti subaru wrx etc, now its down to the reviewers/editors personal opinion (sometimes swayed by cash),  dont worry about it , the only fiesta that would have given the 182 problems would have been the rs (and i serioulsy would have no doubts and would have bought it straight away, as i believe it would have been 10 times better than the 182 )  but as its canned then we will be ok for a while:D

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH what a relief. I was getting a bit of a dab on!!!!!