ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WTF Clio cup vs Fiesta ST

So glad I havent just bought a car thats beaten by a Ford Fiesta!

(no ive got a fiesta with x x x and its loads quicker than your standard bag of poo posts please cos im joking - sort of)

I have a clio because it is nice and fast...plus it has a few toys to keep me asmused(cheap too compared to cars like the CTR)

I really wanted a Focus RS but needed and extra 8k...

Ill be happier when i can get one of them but for now the Clio 182 does the job pretty well.

It aint the best car in the world but it does the job pretty well

well i have been looking about on the internet. And it seems you can buy a new ST for just over £10,000. You can then pay roughly £3000 for a complete kit to give the engine 220bhp.

So £13,000 for a 220bhp car, where as it costs you nearly that for a new cup. I realise if you look about you can get the cup cheaper than that, but i dont think thats bad money spent at all, to get that sort of power from it.

You can go silly and buy a complete new engine with 280bhp but they cost £12,000 just for the engine.

For those with a small budget who want an all round sports car thats cheap to run and still fun to drive then go for a new Ford ST...

For those people who want the performance over the interior and can afford the extra insurance and running costs got a for a RSpt Cup...

For those who want more than that - buy a more expensive car

Both are value for money with different strengths and weaknesses.

For my part I prefer performance over comfort. I average over 20000 miles a year and fine the 172 fine for my needs and can afford the extra costs associate with that. I have had no problems with it apart from a faulty relay on the automatic headlights. I service it every 10k as i do town driving and it has been worth it!

Some people like peanut butter and jelly sanwiches... so what. We bought clios as we liked clios, wanted a fast car and were prepared to put up with the french nautre :)

The evocative line-up of red, white and blue STs glinting in the sun at tiny Siena airport certainly whetted the appetite. Hop into the ST and its easy to get settled; the chunky wheel adjusts for rake and reach and the seat cushion height can be tailored. Initially, the 2-litre Zetec sounds a bit ordinary but the gearshift has a nicely weighted, connected feel and the ride feels quite supple. However, even before wed got to the end of the airport access road, some of the depressions and ripples in the asphalt suggested that this chassis might not be one of Fords best efforts. The reverse is usually true - I remember thinking that the new Mondeo was going to be great within yards of driving off, and the same went for the SportKa, Focus and Puma. Maybe it was just a strange bit of road...

Direct quote from Evo.

So the chassis isnt there and neithers the power.

Quote: Originally posted by tombourne182 on 13 January 2005

The evocative line-up of red, white and blue STs glinting in the sun at tiny Siena airport certainly whetted the appetite. Hop into the ST and its easy to get settled; the chunky wheel adjusts for rake and reach and the seat cushion height can be tailored. Initially, the 2-litre Zetec sounds a bit ordinary but the gearshift has a nicely weighted, connected feel and the ride feels quite supple. However, even before wed got to the end of the airport access road, some of the depressions and ripples in the asphalt suggested that this chassis might not be one of Fords best efforts. The reverse is usually true - I remember thinking that the new Mondeo was going to be great within yards of driving off, and the same went for the SportKa, Focus and Puma. Maybe it was just a strange bit of road...

Direct quote from Evo.

So the chassis isnt there and neithers the power.

The chassis isnt there acording to the reviewer of the car. Its all opinions. It is all down to the individual at the end of the day, magazine reviews mean didly squat!

R

rich[182]

Just been to fords uk website, Things are unclear on what you actually get for £13,600 rrp

The marketing ive seen always shows gorgeous half leather seats, The website makes out their an option for £900
The ST logo carpet mats are £100
Most of the colour options are over £300
Spare is a steel 14" rim also
The 17" alloys use 205/40 R17 tyres

Power 150PS @ 6000rpm - 137bhp per tonne
Torque 190Nm @ 4500rpm
Weight 1137kg

Clio 182 182PS @ 6500rpm - 170bhp per tonne approx
Torque 200Nm @ 5250rpm
Weight 1080kg (1060kg for 182 cup)

http://www.ford.co.uk/ns7/fiesta/fie_overview/fie_spt_st/-/-/-/-#

[Edited by rich172 on 1/13/2005 5:40:07 PM]

[Edited by rich172 on 1/13/2005 5:46:33 PM]

Red197

Did Auto Car (i think) not rate the Clio 182Cup as the best hot hatch below £20,000. Beating the new golf gti, vts and St Fiesta among others.

Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_52 on 13 January 2005

Did Auto Car (i think) not rate the Clio 182Cup as the best hot hatch below £20,000. Beating the new golf gti, vts and St Fiesta among others.
if you read the post you will see that this is already mentioned:confused:

BMW 120i Sport

I read the review in Autoexpress this evening,

I find it odd that the 182 "star" ratings for performance/interior/exterior were the same as the STs (but one higher on the engine/performance) but the ST got first place? Odd.

However, when I looked at the whole article and realised it was a "whats the best value for money" article, it made me realise that it was pretty much a load of pish. Bring on the "what hatch can you rag the hardest, corner quickest, have the most fun in and trounce a WRX in" article - cos it wont be the ST in first place, thats for sure .

I also loved the fact the said the 182 was built better and had a higher quality dash than the ST.

Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 13 January 2005

I read the review in Autoexpress this evening,

I find it odd that the 182 "star" ratings for performance/interior/exterior were the same as the STs (but one higher on the engine/performance) but the ST got first place? Odd.

However, when I looked at the whole article and realised it was a "whats the best value for money" article, it made me realise that it was pretty much a load of pish. Bring on the "what hatch can you rag the hardest, corner quickest, have the most fun in and trounce a WRX in" article - cos it wont be the ST in first place, thats for sure .

I also loved the fact the said the 182 was built better and had a higher quality dash than the ST.

this really makes me think they got the 2 cars mixed up

lets realise, its not a case of which is the best car when they do reviews, its a case of which car performs best for what the test is to prove

a fabia vrs would hammer a 182 (both performance models) in a test of comfort, build quality and ecomomy, whereas the clio would win on the handling, desireablility (just, it is a clio after all) and performance

the fiesta won the test, as it was the best car for the test

the clio is a good car, but id rather own the ST

133/225/CLS AMG

Its all down to personal prefence.

I think its a shame that Ford have played on the success of the Focus by producing a mini-Focus out of the Fiesta. The ST looks in my opinion like a junior Focus RS and that puts me off a bit.

Nice thread :D

I cannot see why you would take the ST150 at that price over a 182.

Also I would like to add that reviews of new cars build quality are pointless - most French cars are passable when new when it comes to build - its once the years start to pile on the bits fall off.

One of the reasons for going back 4 years from my Williams to a Fiesta RST - less bits fall off and when they do they are miles cheaper to put back on.

Personally I wouldnt buy either new:

The ST150 is overpriced and underpowered IMO - or is the 182 underpriced?

The 182 is made from sticky back plastic and I expect more for over £10k - infact I expect more for over £3k

I would take the Ibiza and chip it.

Anyway its only a mag artical!

Its a strange phenonemum that car owners dont get the chance to "prove" that their car is better than other cars on the open as its ilegal so they use magazine articals, peformance figures and discussion forums to "prove" their cars.

Egos anyone?

BMW 120i Sport

Egos indeed I think.

I think the ST150 is overpriced, not when you can pickup an Ibiza FR 150 (huge tuning potential) from a dealer for £11k, or an import 182 fully loaded for £12.5k.

The guys over on zsoc.co.uk continuously argue that "its not about the power; Ford could have got more power out of it if they wanted to" - I say b****cks to that: we all want more power, faster 0-60s, faster quarter miles because were all competitive red blooded males.

The 172, 172 cup, 182 and 182 cup are rapid balls out hot hatches for decent money. Theyre not the best made cars in the world, but by christ Fords are just as cack (i know this because i own a MK5 Fiesta and my family have been through two Fords).