ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

X-box 360 without hd-tv pointless

lol just went round me mates house to see his x-box 360 running pgr3 and its running on his 32" crt not hd ready. the picture looks no better than what the old x-box was capable off. so we put it on me hd-tv and f**k the picture is awesome lol. what my point is theres no point in buying the x-box 360 without a hd-tv so meny people must be thinking that the console aint really much better than the last but boy will they have a surprise once they get
hi-def tv lol.

Off mate goes to buy hd ready tv lol

Mk2 Golf GTI
yeah but graphics are graphics at the end of they day, it's all about gameplay!

I wouldn't say the 360 is pointless, just not living up to it's potential without HDTV

172 Cup
So you tried it on a CRT and then a HDTV ready TV (thus increasing the resolution albeit slightly) and you're suprised there was a differance!?!?

MKIII 138
not just about res, using hdmi there is NOOO analogue convertion which loses loadza clarity just direct digital (providing you use HDMI / DVI not vga or component although these methods are better than a good fully wired scart due to progressive nature)

thing is i feel the same im enjoying playing my xbox so much i.e deus ex and its not the good gfx or sound its the gameplay and physics, then theres toca 3 and forza etc..

MKIII 138
ohh btw.. i didnt get it at first and thought it was a stupid comment but in retrospect something my bro said to me stood out. he said if tv is only low res and xbox360 is high res then how come tv looks better than xbox360 or PC
i.e watching eastenders on freeview V playin xbox360 in the most incredible definition.. real life will look better.. right ?
so imaging playing riddick as in the REAL Life DVD version with the graphics as real life but on mid definition DVD on decent TV vs playing a xbox360 game on ultra res

the real life (and i mean completley real life) will look better than any console/pc/ 3d render at any res just because its REAL so resolution doesnt equate to much when you think of it like that.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
totally agree, but even steping up from using the standard cables to the VGA cables on my plasma made an awesome difference !! running at highest resolution was a totall difference !

Polo GTi
You must have a s**t CRT then, my 360 looks a hell of a lot better than my xbox does on my CRT, no doubt the HDTV does look better still, but thats no reason no to buy a 360...lol

Thr toruble is... the 360 has been designed to play on HDTV (good one microsoft) meaning picture quality is affected on anything else. In parts of King Kong the screen gets so dark in places on a normal TV is becomes unplayable!

MKIII 138
McBunny said:
meggerman the 360 doesnt use hdmi

how do i use a shocked smiley ?!!!!

no HDMI ?

so its analogue only ?

PS3 has two HDMI and 1080P support.

also most games and actually i dont know if its all software dont use REAL 720P on xbox360 they are upsampled (like a dvd player does) before the output to pretend hi-def.

btw ^^ thats true i didnt make it up have a read into it.

now image what a PS3 will look like on a true 1080p (2 million pixels more than even 720p) via digital HDMI 1920 x 1280 res i think

yeah the x-box uses a scaller for some of the current games. like ya say just like when ya tv upsamples the signal to fit the screen. it works a little but no where near as good as ture 720p or 1080p

ps3 will be awesome. been reading about the so called rumor that the ps3 is a hoax and that theres now way it will be out within this year even if it is true. anyone else heard this?

bsimmer3000 said:
yeah the x-box uses a scaller for some of the current games. like ya say just like when ya tv upsamples the signal to fit the screen. it works a little but no where near as good as ture 720p or 1080p

ps3 will be awesome. been reading about the so called rumor that the ps3 is a hoax and that theres now way it will be out within this year even if it is true. anyone else heard this?

someone better tell hame lol! its no hoax!

http://shop.game.net/ps3/

Grand theft auto london is in the pipeline on the PS3 - based in 1997 - sweet!! may be able to nick a valver.... and breakdown lol!

will be cool if it does come out as early as that but as well all no they never come out when they say there gonna. but if it does they will be doing well because as far as i know it would probably be the only blue ray playing capable devive in the world on the consumer market.

well heres just a few problems so far

1. games are strugling to fit onto a single disc so be ready for multiple disc games
2. renatl companys are pulling out of renting games as so meny are coming back damaged because of x-box 360 tray mec
3. does not surport any type of hi-def digital output or playback
4. new versions coming that surport hd-dvd or blu-ray

there are more little niggles but they are the main ones

Yaris Hybrid
We have three 360's (myself and my two brothers) and a couple of my friends have them as well and none of us have had a damaged disc. Never heard anyone on Xbox Live complaining about it either. Sounds like more of that nonsense planted by Sony employees on online forums to me. Funnily enough I haven't heard of anyone with an overheating power supply which is funny as apparently "most" of them melt hmmmm lol

No picture quality issues with component either. I can't see any signs of losses compared to digital connections (when viewing DVD's).

Never saw any difference between VGA and DVI leads on my PC either. Had both cables connected up and pressed the source button to switch between the two and couldn't tell which was which.

If anything component looks better than the VGA lead connection on the 360....

As far as I know (based on games I have owned) only PGR3 is not using proper 720p, all of my other games produce a proper 720p output. Not sure where the "most" games story comes from. Probably bitter PS2 owners talking sh*t! Also how many people have TV's that support 720p let alone 1080p! I don't know anyone with a 1080p TV. Your average Playstation owner is an 8 year old kid who gets one for Xmas so I doubt he will be getting a 1080p TV worth thousands in his stocking. I won't be getting a TV of that spec for years and by then 360 and PS3 will be obsolete and I will be back to PC games.

PS3 won't be hitting the uk until winter 06 or spring 07. As for specs, well wait and see. Sony talked about PS2's "emotion chip" and how it would do realistic hair and water prior to release. Try playing a PS2 game with that in mind without p*ssing yourself laughing. I remember once posting some screenshots of The Getaway - a pre release shot and some actual pictures of the game once it came out - again pure pant p*ssing material. Take everything with a pinch of salt...

Last edited:
  Mk2 Golf GTI
Especially what you have just said...

You sound anti PS or just like a complete 360 fanboy!

End of the day both consoles are gonna have good graphics with good games, regardless of all the nerdy tech spec. I've got a PS2 and Xbox at my house and since i finished Halo i haven't touched the Xbox, even thought that is probably one of my favourtie games.

PS2 might have dodgy graphics to some but they still look good to me and with games like Resi Evil 4 and GTA San Andreas, not to mention upcoming titles like Shadow of the Colossus and Final Fantasy 12 to name just two, why should anybody really care about PS3 until it's released? To a certain extent, f**k graphics and power and all that b****cks, it means nothing without decent games

Toypop i know you love to argue and go against the grain so i probably wont bother replying after this, lol

Yaris Hybrid
I did own a PS2 but sold it because it was rubbish and have been anti PS2 ever since.

The PS1 was one of the best consoles I had though.

I will buy a PS3 and sell it if it isn't any good. If its brilliant and they have a decent online service then the 360 will go.

Its just unfortunate that a certain group of people tend to buy Playstations and talk a lot of nonsense! I have a few friends that own PS2's and the sh*t they come out with is beyond belief! As I've said before these are people that have no idea what the green screen problem is as they use composite instead of RGB and think the picture quality is "brilliant" lol.

i aint that keen on either xbox or ps2. pc all the way for me. but if the ps3 is gonna be as good as people or sony say then i am having one.

for a few reasons.
1.blu-ray surport
2.digital hdmi output
3.mouse and keyboard surport for most games(still unsure how far the suport will go)
4.Good games (never been fan of console games but ps2 had a lot i liked)

microsoft have confirrmed that they arnt putting a hd dvd drive in the 360 a few times now

but that is microsoft so anything is possible

Yaris Hybrid
Not sure what these games are that are exceeding the capacity of a DVD? I mean I have PC games that come on a few CD's but nothing that wouldn't fit on one DVD especially as certain components can be installed on the HD?

I guess Sony have these FMV games like Final Fantasy that might need a lot of disks but I am not interested in anything with FMV, video clips etc.

theres a game for the x-box 360 which is 9gb and the company who made it are pissed of about it because it a big point when it comes to the game. who the hells wants to swap a disc half way through a game. people hate loading screens and people hate swapping discs.

Yaris Hybrid
One thing is for sure, if you have a game that uses 9GB + of data then you better get used to loading screens if you are relying on optical disks!

My Steam folder that has HL2, CS Source plus the Lost Coast add on is only 5GB and thats enough gaming for anyone! If a game uses more than 4Gb then it must be a load of crappy video and fmv!

I don't really have an issue with swapping disks halfway through a game, it didnt cause me any concern with Resident Evil on the Playstation. Besides if Xbox Live stats are anything to go by then 90% of players don't get anymore than around 20% of the way into a game!

MKIII 138
dvd is multilayer there just being tight imo 4.7gb + upto around 17 layers with same storage on each just pushes the cost up for a dual layer but not by much as nearly all dvd movies are dual layer.

ohh and i agree about the PS2 thing pmsl at sony they keep leading people down the garden path with stupidly good graphics previews that not even an SGI could do.
i.e = original playstation (comedy polygon figures and almost rendered screens)
PS2 (weakling of a machine) = Hair and water as mentioned and realtime demos that not even PS5 will do.
PS3 = kill zone, need i say more

ohh 1080p screens are way ott imo just thought id mentioned the future posibilities.

cost co (stupidly cheap warehouse company) are selling full spec 52" DLP`s at 1080P for around £1500 !!! they also do a 62" 1080P DLP for just £2k !!!!!
i saw a 60" plasma the other day in comet 'only' 720p but £8000 !

get a dlp and you will be laughing even 720p rocks on them.