ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

XBMC Help?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Right chaps I want to turn my living room tv into a decent smart tv streaming etc. Currently I quickly download new films and fire them on a USB et voila or use Netflix etc on the 360. I also have full Sky package.

Guy I know set up XBMC through his Amazon TV. Sounds great and constantly updates with new films etc.

Is this the best way? Or easier and cheaper?

I run XBMC on a home media server and its brilliant. I set my folks up with a raspberry Pi, which does the same thing a little slower, but was about a sixth of the price.

I'd definitely recommend it as software, but the platform is up to your needs and budget

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe I should have said. I'm a tad noobish as @welshname Rhys will tell you!

It needs to be simple. My laptop is very average but downloads fine.

Clio 172 cup
Xbmc is great i have an android box with xbmc on and also i installed showbox app on it aswell. I tend to use showbox more so now than xbmc only thing i find is xbmc get movies a few days before showbox does.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
What is an android box? I'm guessing to download these apps you just do it via the internet via the "box"

Raspberry PI sounds pretty cool and nice and small.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Raspberry pi b+ model is a lot better for compactness tbh.

I use xbmc on a rpi and it's pretty simple when you learn about repositories etc.

Silly question here on this topic and I can probably guess the answer.
Can you get xbmc on something with a bit more power than a rpi like a playstation or something lol

Clio 172 cup
android box is just androids version of the apple tv same size just better in every way. Showbox you can just download off the internet browser on the box and xbmc is abit more complicated as you set it up with repositories (you add services you want)

FYI XBMC is now called "Kodi".

I have it on my Apple TV. It's not kodi (xbmc) which updates, it's add on's like icefims, 1channel, Navi X..

Clio 172 cup
Thats my android box Gally.

Attachments

• IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    724.8 KB · Views: 80
Your best bet is just to install it to a laptop and use that by plugging in to the TV. There used to a android app for Navi X but that's gone now sadly.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Can someone link a cheap simple android box, even used on ebay etc? I'm not looking for anything special it's juts to save downloading on phone or Laptop then on to the TV.

If you're really noobish, then buy the pi and put raspbmc on it and then use it. Once you get used to it (and if you like it) , you can perhaps build something faster.
You can run XBMC on anything, but obviously performance, compactness and low noise all have a cost and the pi works well for the money (almost none)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup
I have only ever used the mx2 boxes and really like them cant comment on the newer m8 if you buy a unset up one i can give you the file needed to set it up with everything you could want for xbmc.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'll buy one set up! Thanks for the links guys. Withoutabix one looks really good.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
just updated my setup with a raspberry pi 2 using the OSMC build. performs perfect.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I would love to Adam, help me work out if I can actually work it!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
An LG 55" plasma. It's a few years old now so not great but usb ports and plenty of HDMI basics really. I use my xbox a lot through it for Netflix.

2014 Focus Titanium
I'd just get a chromecast personally. Pretty much all the features you need and it gets better all the time.

I have my pc upstairs wired through the walls into my AV kit downstairs and to my TV for XBMC, but I simply don't use it as it's easier to stream to chromecast!

Inferno 182 CUP
No better, apart from interface being nicer it has a much larger platform of clients (supported too) and also has features that xbmc doesn't .. Check the Plex website for a lisy

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
so the interface isn't personal preference? well done with your subjective arguments.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
nah. engage better grammar when typing :wink: - anyways. back on topic. this isn't a plex thread.

Just picked up a RPi its the B+ model, Installed OSMC and OpenElec and neither will let me install addons into Kodi, It will say Downloading 0% then just disappear! any advice?

Im so confused by all this, where do i buy a 'set up' box from? and by set up does that mean its updating with new films all the time? am i able to watch tv channels?

A4 Avant
I'm running a media pc with xbmc and all my films ripped to my NAS, which is perfect. However what's the easiest way to stream films or sports? Is it an add on to xbmc I need?