ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xbox One & Surround Sound

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
Morning guys,
Recently got an Xbox one, I currently have a Panasonic Home theatre system to watch Dvd's on.
Now that I have the XBO I want to watch Blurays on it and have surround sound from my Home theatre system.
The XBO is connected to my TV by HDMI cable and my Home theatre system is connected to my TV by HDMI too.
My TV is a LG LED with an "Optical Audio out" connection on the back, am I right in thinking I need an Optical Audio cable from my TV into the Home theatre system and that will give me surround sound for the XBO?

Many thanks

Steve

Make sure your TV supports 5.1 out on the optical, as some will only send stereo.

Otherwise run the optical from the Xbox One to the surround.

Trophy #267
I doubt you will get 5.1 from tv to amp as this is prohibited by the HDMI cp protocol, it can be 'permitted' by same make tv / amp combinations or by 3rd party dongles / rpi telling it what it wants to hear to allow it.
I assume your amp cant take hdmi and decode the sound directly then ( i am in same boat and have optical cables everywhere)

I doubt you will get 5.1 from tv to amp as this is prohibited by the HDMI cp protocol, it can be 'permitted' by same make tv / amp combinations or by 3rd party dongles / rpi telling it what it wants to hear to allow it.
I assume your amp cant take hdmi and decode the sound directly then ( i am in same boat and have optical cables everywhere)

HDMI is 7.1 compatible. 5.1 is not an issue at all.

I run HDMI from my Xbox One into my Sony Bravia, then take a digital audio feed from the optical out on the TV into my turtle beach headphones which is full dolby 5.1.
Done the same into a 5.1 surround sound setup too which also was full dolby surround sound.

Yaris Hybrid
I have a year old Samsung smart TV and the only way it will send anything other than stereo to my home cinema is when I connect it via HDMI and use its built-in apps like Netflix.

Any other sources connected to the TV via HDMI and routed via the TV into the home cinema will come out in stereo.

P*ssed me right off and that is why I went out and got a home cinema with loads of HDMI inputs so I can route everything through that to the TV.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I have a year old Samsung smart TV and the only way it will send anything other than stereo to my home cinema is when I connect it via HDMI and use its built-in apps like Netflix.

Any other sources connected to the TV via HDMI and routed via the TV into the home cinema will come out in stereo.

P*ssed me right off and that is why I went out and got a home cinema with loads of HDMI inputs so I can route everything through that to the TV.
Ditto! :( Very, VERY annoyed to be honest.

Trophy #267
no its what they are obliged legally to do. I never said 5.1 or 7.1 was the issue, its down to the tv thinking its sending a digital signal to a secure destination. Usually the tv will only send 2 channel pcm is the route is not secure so I am amazed you get > 2 digital channels via this method unless your not but some post processing is being done to provide surround sound which itself originates from providing multi channel output from a stereo source