ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xbox - Red rings of death!?!?!?

Swift Sport
I know nothing about this strange occurance... but I haz it :(

Need info and advice!!!! Please!!!

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Bad times with MW2 out soon! But as above, get it sent back. Its all free :)

Swift Sport
Luckily, I hardly ever use my Xbox and have only a couple of games. I only started playing it again because I bought Forza 3, guess I won't be now for a while! lol

Astra Twintop
turnaround is down to approx two weeks now.

Give em a bell first thing tomorrow morning.

Swift Sport
Can I still send it back even though I don't have a Windows Live ID?

I don't even know what the f**k that is lol.

Prong

ClioSport Club Member
Take your console to game/gamestation and quote the code P-S-3

Should have no futher problems ;)

Astra Twintop
You ring them
they give you number
nice person in brown UPS suit collects
you twiddle thumbs
person brown UPS suit brings back with 1 month free live

Prong

ClioSport Club Member
How about a name change to Wrong?

PS3 has no Forza!

by the time GT5 arrives we'll all be dead!

fishing.jpg

Caught myself a Biggun

K20 EG Hatch
Ste if your warranty has run out or anything my mate will fix it for £20, he has like a 90% success rate. Graphics chip needs re-flowing... You've got my number haven't you? If not PM me for it :)

Titanium 182
Put it somewhere with more room behind it when you get it back. I have had mine years and it's never gone wrong at all I suspect due to being well ventilated. Don't leave it in an enclosed cuboard/tv stand.

A silver one
What causes the RROD? It seems pretty ridiculous that Microsoft would include the red rings set up. It's almost as if they expected the 360 to 'go wrong' when they were building it.

Can a similar thing happen to the PS3?

I only ask as I have neither console, but have a feeling the gf is buying me a PS3 for christmas.

57 Clio Campus Sport
+1 no red rings to go wrong.

And clearly the better option

*Awaits flames galor!*

2 words: Yellow Light

What causes the RROD? It seems pretty ridiculous that Microsoft would include the red rings set up. It's almost as if they expected the 360 to 'go wrong' when they were building it.

Can a similar thing happen to the PS3?

I only ask as I have neither console, but have a feeling the gf is buying me a PS3 for christmas.

The Red Rings is just a way of communicating all errors, you get different lights for different things, and even RROD has many different codes. It's actually a much better system for recognising errors that say a PS3 which just has a yellow light. Things always go wrong, with everything, not just consoles, but it's better to be able to find out what it is when it happens.

Cause of RROD: In most cases it is because the Xclamps are not strong enough so the board warps and you get loose connections, I have fixed 3 RROD and all were this problem, it took me about an hour to fix each one and not had any problems from any of them since.

Oh and start hinting for a 360, I've got both and my PS3 is never used for games...

Last edited:
  A silver one
2 words: Yellow Light

The Red Rings is just a way of communicating all errors, you get different lights for different things, and even RROD has many different codes. It's actually a much better system for recognising errors that say a PS3 which just has a yellow light. Things always go wrong, with everything, not just consoles, but it's better to be able to find out what it is when it happens.

Oh and start hinting for a 360, I've got both and my PS3 is never used for games...

Is the Yellow Light not very common then? It seems there's a new RROD thread on here every other week. Your post was the first time I'd ever heard of the Yellow Light.

I've had a Wii since Feb 2007 and I've not had any problems with that. Guess they're just better quality?
I think the thing thats swaying her toward a PS3, is that it saves having to have a seperate Blu Ray player.

Last edited:
the yellow light of death is quite common as are laser units but the ps3 does have a smaller install base (but its catching up)

but yes rrod is annoying as hell but they fix it quick enough

Bumder With A Buffer

Cause of RROD: In most cases it is because the Xclamps are not strong enough so the board warps and you get loose connections, I have fixed 3 RROD and all were this problem, it took me about an hour to fix each one and not had any problems from any of them since.

Actually the issue is that the xclamps are too strong and how they pivot/hold down the IC itself. Thats what causes the warp. I cant understand how they thought that was a good Idea whilst making it!

BMW E92/Audi S3
I got mine.
I'm fucked too.
My hotmail account got hacked (Hotmail wont do anything about it. They just said sorry and sent me a hug on FB) so I can't sign in to get it repaired. For some reason It's not letting me register my Xbox again either.
Sooo.. I'm fucked. Going to buy a new one instead.

57 Clio Campus Sport
Is the Yellow Light not very common then? It seems there's a new RROD thread on here every other week. Your post was the first time I'd ever heard of the Yellow Light.

I've had a Wii since Feb 2007 and I've not had any problems with that. Guess they're just better quality?
I think the thing thats swaying her toward a PS3, is that it saves having to have a seperate Blu Ray player.

Yellow Light of death was on Watchdog about a month ago. I had a 360 since release day, the got the PS3 on release day and the PS3 got YLOD before 360 got RROD. Then the replacement 360 had a dvd drive failure (that one was more likely to be my fault as I use cheap media). You probably see more because more people own them so there is more to go wrong.

The wii probably doesn't break because it's not exactly a powerful console, less strain on the parts :p

Yep, the fact it has Blu Ray is pretty useful, like I said earlier, it is a great media centre, but if you want it more for games then 360 is way to go. My PS3 is on for many more hours than my xbox as I use it to watch a lot of HD stuff but it hasn't had a game disc in it since I got bored of GT5P a couple of weeks after it came out.

Actually the issue is that the xclamps are too strong and how they pivot/hold down the IC itself. Thats what causes the warp. I cant understand how they thought that was a good Idea whilst making it!

Ah right I guess that makes sense, I guess the xclamps are tight and they pull the pins in wierd directions whereas the fix has them tight straight down on the board?

Motorbikes
I have RROD on my box twice, 1st on the 13th day of owenrship, dont know why, just reconnected all the cables and it has been fine. Then 2nd time due to a power failure, restarted it and it was fine.

1. Their fans s**t in them.
2. rrod is meant to be due to cold soldering
3. they say never have it upright.
4.ps4 also has problems.
5. Im an xbox man

57 Clio Campus Sport
I just read something quite strange that I shall post even though it goes against everything I stand for lol:

Analyst OTX claims that many gamers are shifting to Sony’s console for upcoming multiformat sequels
A new report from analyst firm OTX has claimed that a number of keen gamers who bought the likes of Assassin’s Creed and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare on Xbox 360 are intending to purchase the PS3 versions of the upcoming sequels.
The belief comes from numbers showing that 15 per cent of those who plan to buy the PS3 version of Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed 2 own the original version on Xbox 360. By contrast, just seven per cent of those intending to get the Xbox 360 version owned the original on PS3.
The report, which was published on Gamasutra, also predicts that PS3 will emerge as the favoured format for Infinity Ward’s shooter. Furthermore, OTX reckons this ‘defection’ will set the trend for future multiplatform releases.
If so, this will be a remarkable turnaround. Week one sales of the first Modern Warfare fell in Xbox 360’s favour, with Microsoft’s console claiming 63 per cent of UK sales.

I've just realised how off topic this thread has gone. Another console wars which I kind of started...oops.

Did the original poster sort the problem with the RROD in the end?

Bumder With A Buffer
Ah right I guess that makes sense, I guess the xclamps are tight and they pull the pins in wierd directions whereas the fix has them tight straight down on the board?

Aye. I cant explain it but its the angles that the Xclamps are pulling at which causes the issue.

IC builds up heat, which then weakens the solder joints on the IC itself and eventually leads to a dry joint. Its the pulling angle of the Xclpams which helps cause this.

What you said is correct...putting 4 nuts and bolts on helps distribute this pressure more evenly. As said I couldnt believe it when I popped one open and saw that..To me thats a MAJOR design flaw! Shouldnt of even got past the testing stages!

TTRS & V50
s**t time, had it happened to me twice now. After the first time i didn't use my 360 properly for about 2 years, then used it about 2 weeks before Forza 3 came out and i got the fucker again. All well and good now though.

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)
UPS picked mine up last Friday, arrived this afternoon, pretty good turn around.