ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

xenon downgrade to standard question

PH2 RS172
evening all. im seriously thinking of downgrading my headlights to standards basically because i want a new set of lights to freshen up my 172 and i dont think xenons are all that anyway (getting old i know). would the auto light function still work if i did this or does it only work with the xenons installed? i would think that function is on the car not the light units but i may be wrong. anyone?

(oh and before some gobdrop drops the hammer...... IMO.... standard xenons arent all that amazing... its mainly the look... standard lights have a much better output beam. xenons are brightest when retro fitted to older style lights but as we know its illegal...crap... chavvy etc hence why i just want standards WITH STANDARD BULBS IN cheers)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
OEM Xenons should be far brighter than aftermarket ones, simply because aftermarket kits are by and large crap lol.

I'd have thought auto lights should still work, although I await someone with a cup to confirm ;)

I don't have auto lights on my cup but it'll still work in your car with standard lights.

My old dynamique had standard lights with the autolights function

Do you need a standard light donor? ;) saying that, I only restored mine yesterday and it was a right ballache!

PH2 RS172
lol. no not mad just dont bark out about standard xenons. had them on two cars now... my vectra and now the clio ...not all that tbh.. imo anyway. aftermarket ones throw more light due to the out of line beam in a non hid lens but it is a bit shite retro fitting them...they are hazed but cant be bothered restoring them... id rather fit a new set as i can get them trade just wanted to check the auto function. im sure if i was 20 again youd have to kill me to get them off lol ;-)

PH2 RS172
He's not fitting HIDs to a reflector, wants to use normal bulbs.

thank you... he mustve missed the 1st post in BLOCK CAPITALS. anyway i just wanted to know if the auto feature worked and it seems that itwill. cheers for the help guys

deejuk.. i know id eventually get haze on new ones but as im not that bothered about xenon as i can get a new standard set cheap rather than have to go to town on them. im also sure theyll last longer than a restored set. im mainly town driving day and night with well lit roads so i dont need them mega bright just clean looking. dont have faith in restore kits on plastic tbh they work well but always seem to haze back up quick. cheers

Last edited:
lol. no not mad just dont bark out about standard xenons. had them on two cars now... my vectra and now the clio ...not all that tbh.. imo anyway. aftermarket ones throw more light due to the out of line beam in a non hid lens but it is a bit shite retro fitting them...they are hazed but cant be bothered restoring them... id rather fit a new set as i can get them trade just wanted to check the auto function. im sure if i was 20 again youd have to kill me to get them off lol ;-)

He's not fitting HIDs to a reflector, wants to use normal bulbs.

That's where I understood it from?

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Xenons are well better than the standard lights, that's coming from my 1.2 to a 182.

Save your energy and leave them be chap

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I had standard Ph2 lights in absolutely mint condition and fitted a set of Osram nightbreaker plus bulbs. They were literally amazing. I then foolishly swapped with Jon.G for his xenon units as he wanted to go back to standard in the Trophy when he had it.

Biggest regret of Clio ownership. The visibility was a lot worse.

PH2 RS172
I had standard Ph2 lights in absolutely mint condition and fitted a set of Osram nightbreaker plus bulbs. They were literally amazing. I then foolishly swapped with Jon.G for his xenon units as he wanted to go back to standard in the Trophy when he had it.

this is my thought... also i shouldve mentioned a standard fitment bulb but with a higher percentage light not 'just standard'... jobbit lol :)

Last edited:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
You know the high beam isn't a xenon? It's just a normal bulb anyway.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Have you thought about fitting 5k or 6k xenon bulbs for the sake of £20 to your current headlights?

I put 6k bulbs in mine and the light on the road was drastically improved over the standard 4200k ones.

But I do agree on the standard non xenon headlights with a awesome halogen bulb in will no doubts be far brighter on the road and probably reach further.

Clio 197

No way, going from my cup to 182 one of the biggest improvements were the lights. I had Philips bluevision in my cup, dehazed too

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
4200k produces more light that 5000k or 6000k. So not really sure how that's worked.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
I've got a set of standard lights that have just had a de-hazing treatment if your interested?
Have been after a set of xenons for mine for a while.

(previous owner swapped them to standard)

PH2 RS172
Have you thought about fitting 5k or 6k xenon bulbs for the sake of £20 to your current headlights?

I put 6k bulbs in mine and the light on the road was drastically improved over the standard 4200k ones.

But I do agree on the standard non xenon headlights with a awesome halogen bulb in will no doubts be far brighter on the road and probably reach further.

yes ive tried 6k from 4k. still not that impressed either. as you say a good bulb in a standard light will hit further... it did in my vectra sri :)