ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xenon headlight out, water?

Clio 182
Hi guys,

Was driving home after work today in my 182, noticed that my drivers side headlight was out.

I found that the rubber cap/seal that sits over the back of the Xenon main beam headlight had slipped off slightly. The black twist on ballast/power pack (not actually sure what this is) was slightly damp and the green connector that plugs into this was damp also. We had some heavy rain today so I can only assume some has entered the headlight and put the Xenon main beam out of action.

I've re-seated the rubber cap/seal but I'm going away this weekend so won't be able to look at this till next week.

Is it possible that this will dry out and begin working again? Might the headlight be busted now due to water damage?

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions appreciated and I'll tackle this next week when home.

Thank you.

Chris

PH2 172
Hi guys,

Was driving home after work today in my 182, noticed that my drivers side headlight was out.

I found that the rubber cap/seal that sits over the back of the Xenon main beam headlight had slipped off slightly. The black twist on ballast/power pack (not actually sure what this is) was slightly damp and the green connector that plugs into this was damp also. We had some heavy rain today so I can only assume some has entered the headlight and put the Xenon main beam out of action.

I've re-seated the rubber cap/seal but I'm going away this weekend so won't be able to look at this till next week.

Is it possible that this will dry out and begin working again? Might the headlight be busted now due to water damage?

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions appreciated and I'll tackle this next week when home.

Thank you.

Chris

Push the connector firmly into the igniter and twist the igniter fully clock wise to lock the connector in place.

If the igniter has rotated, it may be because the waved locking washer is missing ( they are easy to break ).

Attachments

• HELLA BLACK IGNITOR 5DD00831910.jpg
    HELLA BLACK IGNITOR 5DD00831910.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 50
  Clio 182
Push the connector firmly into the igniter and twist the igniter fully clock wise to lock the connector in place.

If the igniter has rotated, it may be because the waved locking washer is missing ( they are easy to break ).

Thanks for your reply. The igniter is definitely locked and twisted in place correctly and the connector is in firmly. I removed the igniter to inspect it and refitted it when done. The connector was slightly damp as was the body of the igniter. I'm wondering if that might be the issue

PH2 172
Thanks for your reply. The igniter is definitely locked and twisted in place correctly and the connector is in firmly. I removed the igniter to inspect it and refitted it when done. The connector was slightly damp as was the body of the igniter. I'm wondering if that might be the issue

Worth the suggestion as it was the cost free solution.

The dampness is more likely to be condensation than rain water.

You can swap the LH bulb or igniter over in situ for elimination purposes, but if the ballast has gone, it`s a bumper off job to remove the headlight.

Clio 182
Update:

It turns out the headlight just needed to dry out, after a weekend away the water that was on the connector and igniter dried away and the light was working again.