ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

xenon headlight problem.....help plz

hi,
my driver side headlight isn't working. they where both working fine until i noticed the 1 not working.
i then noticed on start up (due to auto lights) the one bulb would flicker, and also when i manually did it, it did the same. after about 2weeks it stopped flickering and now doesn't come on at all.

Just want to know from members past experience if its the bulb or the ballast??

i have searched the forum and not found a clear answer to my particular problem.

been quoted £20 for a straight bulb swap or £90 if its the ballast (£50 for part, £40 for the labor) is that a price?

MK2 172 FF
if the bulb was flickering then i would go for the bulb personally. If your changing the bulb on one side you really need to change the other as they will be a difference in brightness. When first fitted they will be yellow until they burn clean properly.
To test you could take the working bulb out and fit that to see if it works. if it does then its the bulb, if it doesn't then yes it may be the ballast

ok dude thanks. anyone else wana add there thoughts on the matter? is there a particular make of bulb anyone could recommend and where i could get them?

Mk5 golf gti
if the bulb was flickering then i would go for the bulb personally. If your changing the bulb on one side you really need to change the other as they will be a difference in brightness. When first fitted they will be yellow until they burn clean properly.
To test you could take the working bulb out and fit that to see if it works. if it does then its the bulb, if it doesn't then yes it may be the ballast

not neccesarlily true
sounds like your ballast mate try swapping the bulbs over to see if its the bulb or not
a flickering light tends to be the ballast though
as a faulty bulb is more likeley to dim or change colour (normally pink)
pm me for any more info as ive done alot of these
do not buy a bulb though until you have diagnosed the fault as there not cheap and could be a waste of money if its the ballast

Last edited:
not neccesarlily true
sounds like your ballast mate try swapping the bulbs over to see if its the bulb or not
a flickering light tends to be the ballast though
as a faulty bulb is more likeley to dim or change colour (normally pink)
pm me for any more info as ive done alot of these
do not buy a bulb though until you have diagnosed the fault as there not cheap and could be a waste of money if its the ballast

ok bro ill check it out ova da weekend if i gt time.