ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xenon headlight question for the masses

BMW 120i Sport
Hi all,

Ever since I got my BMW 320D SE, i've noticed that the xenon headlights are not as bright as they used to be on my Clio 182. Understandably, the Clio was brand new and my 3 series is 4 years old - so the xenons will have had much more use. Infact, when I was out tonight my full beam appeared to be brighter than the xenons.

My question is, do xenons lose brightness over time? Are there any early xenon owners that have noticed a dimness in their lights?

Cheers

172 Cup
I don't know much about Xenons but I hope there's a good reason you bought that BMW and ditched the Clio, brother. :)

Mégane RS
I dont think xenons loose light, i know it takes 100 hrs for a xenon bulb to burn in properly and reach its true colour and brightness

Polo + Micra
yeah most discharge lamps loose the brightness over time

usually a good sign they need replacing

dk

911 GTS Cab
the clio ones are some of the brightest and crisp lights you see though, also got a nice tint of blue, as xenons go they are some of the better ones!

ST
dave182 said:
the clio ones are some of the brightest and crisp lights you see though, also got a nice tint of blue, as xenons go they are some of the better ones!

Hella make them IIRC....useless info but Hella do make some of the best lights on the market.....

Mégane RS
I think Hella make the lamp, or could be valeo, i think the bulbs are suplied by philips or osram

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Xenons are awesome!!

I hate when people with Xenons are following you tho, They are well bright in the rear view mirror,

Still if you cant beat them Join them!! Loving the view at night from behind the wheel!

BMW 120i Sport
Vinnyc19 said:
I dont think xenons loose light, i know it takes 100 hrs for a xenon bulb to burn in properly and reach its true colour and brightness

Just checked an online FAQ, and Xenons do indeed lose brightness over time.

After 1500 hours, the light output can be dimmer by 25%.

E91 M Sport
Vinnyc19 said:
1500 hours, thats a lot of night driving

That's 2 months of solid night driving. Sounds about right for an older car.

Hiya Gareth, how's the beemer otherwise? Chipped it yet? ;)

BMW 120i Sport
Vinnyc19 said:
1500 hours, thats a lot of night driving

Remember though that if the car was used for commuting and the lights were on in the morning for a good 45 minutes and coming home at night for 45 mins then it's not unreasonable they made have had a lot of use.

The Xenons on my 182 when i was commuting were on for an hour in the morning and an hour at night (sorry Mike :( ) - so that was two hours a day (forty hours a month during the dark months) plus any adhoc driving I was doing.

Mike, great to hear from you - not chipped the derv yet, in honesty i'm finding it's got enough shove in stock form! Just doing cosmetic mods at the moment, M -tech gear satin chrome gear knob, M-tech sports steering wheel from the M3 to name a couple. Probably fit a set of lowering springs in the next month or two in preparation for a set of 18" MV2 alloys. The refinement of the beemer is brilliant, so well made and so solid.

Missing the M from time to time, but i'll definitely have another one in a couple of years! Perhaps with traction control this time though... ;)

E91 M Sport
Hey Gareth, I've only just noticed the reply to the thread! doh...

Glad the 3 series is suiting you well, your mods sound very well advised - not like the track-slut your old clio is turning into ;):clown: lol

I really want an E46 M3 now! (my GF won't let me:()

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
my xenons are on all day! Shamr the range of the them ain't half as good as the old 1.2!

ST
Yup couldn't agree more wi that sir....the bulbs i had in the dynamique seemed a good bit brighter than what the 182's xenons are tho i've not driven it anywhere near 100 hours yet....

E91 M Sport
The small white dial on the top of the unit (near where the bulb goes in). Just turn it a bit and you'll see the beam rise and fall.