ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xenon headlights not working HELP!!!

Monaco 52/468
I've only had my 172 for 1 week and before i bought it I stupidly asked my mate ''are the headlights working?'' to which he replied ''yep''. Well they're not and now i'm stuck. :( All the other lights work fine (sides, Fogs, Brakes, Main bean, etc etc), but the xenons just wont come on!!!

So far I have;

• Checked and replaced the fuses.
  • Bought new Xenon bulbs (£35) that are exactly the same as the ones already there.
  • had a local mechanic attach his 'computer' to check for faults, which came back clear.
Any ideas? I've heard that the relays can go (but not sure how to check these?), and the small black boxes on the rear of the bulbs? Ballasts? Any help would be much appreciated as i hate getting stung at the garage for £££££'s if i can sort it out my self.

Also if anyone has any useful links/websites/places to take it that would be great to. I live down in portsmouth so Rentec might be getting a call soon!

320d
If you've checked the fuses and renewed the bulbs that only really leaves the ballasts (silver boxes on the bottom of the headlight) or voltage regulators (black box the bulb fits to)

I'd take off the ballasts and open them up as sometimes they suffer from internal copper corrosion

I've got 2 spare voltage regulators i want £25 each for them if you can confirm its them thats at fault

Hope this helps

Monaco 52/468
Thanks for the info, is it possible to replace the ballasts with after market ones, like available on ebay or do you have to buy from Renault at ££££ ?? I could probably buy 2 whole new front headlight units for £400 so not sure if it is better to do this than pay half that just for parts, what do you think?

In between cars....
Half that........a single ballast pack from renaukt is 180 + vat mate

Find a car thats being broken for spares, thats what i did, got one for 40 buck

Monaco 52/468
I'm going to take the lights out again today. Is there a way to 'check' the ballast is working? Or just open them up and have a look?

Monaco 52/468
Yeah, Fuses have been checked and replaced.

I was looking at what i think is the relays in the passenger footwell. There are 5 small black boxes plugged in with one spare socket with no relay plugged in. Can anyone confirm this is correct? and which one is for the xenon headlights?

Also where can i get replacement renault relays (not renault garage)?

Thanks for all the help so far.

t3 corolla 116bhp
do you still need balasts and/or voltage regulators? may have some in a week or so if you're needing them

BMW M135i
The ballast/starter comes as a kit from renault and they're £130 iirc if it comes to the worst. Can get a part number/price if needed.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Keep them dry for as long as you can plug back in then try again has happend twice to me

In between cars....
The ballast/starter comes as a kit from renault and they're £130 iirc if it comes to the worst. Can get a part number/price if needed.

Was in renault a couple weeks ago, they quoted me 180+vat, surely it doesnt differ that much between dealers?

Monaco 52/468
So, after a week of no lights and a 'home time' before it got dark, they are fixed!! turned out to be a dodgy relay and wiring issue. thank you very much rentech!