ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xenon washer leakage..

Clio 182
Ive recently noticed a trickle of water coming from the front bumper, the drivers side washer has a slow stream coming out the side of the ball but still works perfectly otherwise, is it just a case of fitting a new ball? how does it leak out even when the pump is not running?

LY R26 #288
I've just done mine. You have to take the bumper off and remove the washer yet, theres a big nut on the inside holding it in. You can either replace it with new washer jets which are about 12 quid each or do what I did and pull the thing apart, theres a plastic piston inside it with a rubber bung on the end of it and behind that is a spring. Looks like the springs compress and get too weak after a while. Just stretch the spring to make it longer and job done. Its fixed mine. but for how long, who knows?!.

Basically the spring pushes the bung up against the water pipe so it cant leak and only opens under pressure.

Clio 182
picking up the new washer stalk tomorrow, anyone know if it can be changed without taking the bumper off? and if not, it is a tricky job to take the bumper off?

LY R26 #288
Yeah you cant change it without taking the bumper off. Its not hard to get the bumper off at all.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I really don't get how the one way valves are meant to work, never did anything on mine.

Clio 172mk2
basically the sping pushs`s against the seal, when theres enough pressure from pump the spring compressers and creates a open valve, when there is no pressure the spring push`s back and closes

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Yeah i get how they work, but they don't stop the leaking, well not when i've used them.

Clio 172mk2
because there is not enough pressure comign down from a full tank of windscreen wash to force them open, so they stayed closed untill the pump is run.

if no waters getting to the headlight washers none can leak,

With old ones the weight of water pushs through the old valves in the washer units.

b/g 182, meg tourer
i have removed mine alltogether! i was fed up with them always leaking. i bunged the pipes up, removed the washer jets and plugged the holes with little rubber grommets. looks neater imo too. and i dont get all watermarks on my clean car.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Just a quick question, I fitted a nrv before the drivers jet as it was leaking, and thought I'd cured it, but now the passenger one is leaking. Will it still work if I fit another nrv before the passenger jet? Or would there not be enough pressure to open both? Or would I be better changing the fitted nrv to a pipe connector and re-fit the nrc before the passenger jet?
Please help!!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
I have the problem that mine dont work, they used to leak but now nothing at all ever comes out

Thos of you whos leak, can you still spray them?

Not sure if the jets themselves nwed replacing or the pump on the water bottle?

2014 Clio 200t edc
Mine still spray whilst leaking, unless the water in the bottle falls below the level. I had that when I messed with them earlier, switched pipes etc and then only one worked. That was due to the fluid level.
For people's info, if you remove the passenger arch liner you can see two pipes coming down, mine went from clear pipe to black pipe. I replaced the connectors there for non return valves from halfrauds. Seems to have done the trick!!

2014 Clio 200t edc
Mine still spray whilst leaking, unless the water in the bottle falls below the level. I had that when I messed with them earlier, switched pipes etc and then only one worked. That was due to the fluid level.
For people's info, if you remove the passenger arch liner you can see two pipes coming down, mine went from clear pipe to black pipe. I replaced the connectors there for non return valves from halfrauds. Seems to have done the trick!!

Clio 182
One way valves fitted and one washer still leaked, but it could be the water in the pipe from the washer jet to the one way valve (eg: not much) ive replaced the offending washer jet today and everything seems to be fine.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
try as JRS182 said.
I also have a guide about this stuff in the guides section. I found some dirt inside one of my washer jets which prevented the rubber thing to seal properly.
but you'll figure it out once you'll take it apart

Clio 182
After three weeks or so, guess what..... it started to chuffing leak again, luckily i found a spring of similar size but its a bit stiffer, ripped the OEM one out and put this one in.. time will tell..

Also my washers do not spray together now, the left one goes (separately) followed by the right.. not sure if this is cool or odd.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
this is normal.
if they sprayed at the same time the pressure would be split in two, this way you get all the pressure from the pump on one side at the time