ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

XR2 at Donington (Races Two & Three)

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
Was at Donington yesterday for a double header in a small field of 10 stock hatches, with only one other Class B car, an XR2i. Went through all my usual pre-race checks, fluids etc etc, sailed through scrutineering, no problems. Was driving down to the assembly area and something didn't feel right, even at low speed I could tell something was amiss, so about-turn and back to the garage. Got out and was immediately obvious, the N/S/R wheel bolts weren't done up fully. I'd torqued all the rest up, but must have been distracted for that one. Flew down to assembly, car's were already on track so had to go back to the pits (again) and start from pitlane.

The first few laps of qualifying were always going to be pointless as I had to bed in a new set of Brembo discs and Yellowstuff pads. Got halfway round my first lap and the red flag came out for two cars buried in the gravel at Old Hairpin. Restarted the session with two laps remaining and qualified 9th of 10 (1m35.05), only a car racing virgin in a 106 behind. Not the ideal start, as I thought maybe 7th was achievable. Back to the pits, met up with Feirny and his gay brigade and checked everything over prior to the first race.

Race 1 didn't start very well, still having a problem with 2nd to 3rd which put me back to 9th, although I regained the place down craner curves. The pack in front pulled away and I dropped the two behind, one of whom (the other Class B car) was stuck in 4th gear. Stayed like this for 10 laps and finished 8th (1st in Class - does that count as a win?). Pretty boring - although I had a bit of a moment into Redgate one lap where the back tried to overtake the front - cue arm twirling and a bit of rear hopping. Craner curves weren't quite flat for me at this stage, far too much movement from the back end with no heat in the tyres. Fastest lap down to 1m31.51.

Race 2 wasn't a lot better. Started 9th, finished 9th. Got a poor start, nearly spun at Redgate (again) and ended up losing a lot of time to the pack on the first lap. With the experience gained, I set about trying to catch up to the pack again, which was going fairly well, my laptimes were coming down a couple of tenths at a time. By the last lap I'd reduced the defecit from about nine seconds to just three tenths, but couldn't do anything about the car in front before crossing the finish. Managed to pull out a 1m29.42 on the very last lap of the race which was 5th fastest of the race and would have put me in the same position for qualifying.

Overall, it was another day of learning. Trimmed six seconds off my laptime between qualifying and racing, on largely the same track conditions - a laptime that was only 2.5s behind the fastest overall laptime set by one of the best drivers in one of the best cars. Pretty chuffed with that one lap, if only I could have done 24 like that! In the process of the day the digidash has shown that the max revs went to 7566rpm, which was on one particular downshift, where I shifted too early. After this the power was never the same towards the top end, and it does sound a little funky, so I'm expecting that I've shot an exhaust valve or 4. Will attend to that at some point before the next outing in March time.

Some pics from Feirny and a short video showing two Redgate 'moments'. Full vid to come soon.

5176188438_b42dff3e94.jpg

5176184408_c8f1044d7c.jpg

5175578255_d8fd6deb82.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  Turbos.
Nice write up mate. I find it really hard to get into the groove when i arrive at a track, takes so long to get my times down! That's the difference between the pros and the (seriously talented) amateurs like me, i guess.

Nice pics Feirny.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Nice write up. I love the XR2 challange. Pal of mine, Olly Mortimer won the championship a couple of yrs back.

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
First time round in that video cracked me up. Enjoying the racing?
Not really got to the enjoying stage yet - still in the learning stage. Next year should be a bit of fun, should have a lot more similar cars around to actually race with, rather than doing two entire races on my own.

Go cry to your momma!
Dude, when the back steps out, get on the power..it pulls it out.

I hope I'm not teaching you to blow eggs with that comment, you just didn't seem to be on the gas around the corners which will always lead to ar5e out action.

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
Dude, when the back steps out, get on the power..it pulls it out.

I hope I'm not teaching you to blow eggs with that comment, you just didn't seem to be on the gas around the corners which will always lead to ar5e out action.

I know that, but it's doing it that's the problem lol. Put it down to experience ;)

Mini Cooper S
Your first season will always be a major learning curve, just keept at it. The more you practice, the better you will get. Do you get practice time during the day or just qualifying and racing?

Cooksport Fleet
You will get the hang of it buddy :) Your improving quickly! Gutted we didnt get to race donny year :(

Looking forward to next season?

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
Your first season will always be a major learning curve, just keept at it. The more you practice, the better you will get. Do you get practice time during the day or just qualifying and racing?

Just qualifying and racing. If you've got monies then you can afford to test the day before, in between races etc. I just turn up with what I've got and do my learning in qualifying and the races.

You will get the hang of it buddy :) Your improving quickly! Gutted we didnt get to race donny year :(

Looking forward to next season?

Thanks, yeah looking forward to a few more rounds - the laptime in the last race saved the weekend for me tbh.

182cup & 172 racecar
Looks like the kerbs were a little slippery from that vid.Testing is great but it makes it very expensive.Think we shaved 5 seconds at Anglesey after doing a test day there.Don't worry about racing on your own,we do it a lot because of our pit stop timing,quickest way to go around and nobody to have a crash with,less fun I know.

Should have hired a Saxo and came up with you,would have been fun.

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
Took a loooong time to get confidence in myself and the car, here's some highlights, although there weren't many.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
Pretty good once bedded in. I need to bleed the system again as the pedal was a little spongy, but felt good overall. Was getting more and more confidence on them as the day went on.

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
The rocker cover gasket had gone, so probably lost a little bit of oil pressure. Fixed for £3 (thanks GasketsForClassics).

Also the exhaust had a little hole in.

154272_620194056204_222304875_6740770_5061562_n.jpg

So I fixed it...

157083_620693674964_222304875_6758178_6022585_n.jpg

Bodge ftw.