ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yet another race car build...

CSCC Tin Tops Oulton Park 6/10/2012

Loaded up the trailer and car Friday night after work and set off up to Oulton Park. I grew up on the Wirral and my parents still live there so it is a nice local race for them (25 miles) but I decided not to stay there the night before and to kip at the circuit. I arrived about 10:45 and paid a deposit for a garage - they were allocated to the tin tops for this race. I guess the CSCC rotate between the different series at circuits that have garages. Slept pretty well in the back of the volvo cuddled up next to my wet tyres and a trolley jack. It was tipping it down most of the night but the forcast was good for Saturday so had my fingers crossed for a dry day.

I'd done my wet track day and looked over Tony and Jay's youtube footage so I knew the circuit layout well enough and what gear to be in for what corner but I'd never driven it in the dry.

Got up at 7 ish and started unloading the car and my stuff. No prep work to do. Just needed to give the car a quick once over. It was sunny on and off by this point so I figured the track would dry out by my qualy session as we were third out at 9:40. But I was wrong about that and the track was still very damp at the start of the session. Lots of cars were going off and I only lasted until lap 3 before I joined them at the Brittens chicane. Rear end went a little as I turned in but corrected and it came back round the other way and off onto the grass. Kept the car running and carried on. Later that lap the safety car came out. I decided to do my usual mid qualy car checks at this point and came in to give the car a once over. My girlfriend was not at all happy about this as from where she was watching all she noticed was once the safety car came out she didn't see my car again so was panicing that I'd stacked it somewhere. By the time she'd got over to the pits I was back out behind the safety car. Safety car eventually went in and we started off again. I managed another spin this time at Druids, got the car going again and no damage done. Druids is under trees so is very greasy when wet. At this point I looked at my clock and realised I only had about 2 minutes of the session left and had not really managed a decent lap yet. I had 2 corners before the end of the lap at this point so positioned my self as best I could and started what was to be my final lap of the session.

The lap went well and a dry line was forming by this point. I ran wide and onto the grass at lodge the last corner and came over the brow of the dear leap hill to see the chequered flag. I very nearly lifted off but realised this was probably my best time so kept my foot planted to the line. Sure enough it was my best lap and I qualified 12th with a time of 2:19.284. I was well chuffed with that, especially on the direzzas which don't really like the damp.

Gave the car a quick once over and checked the tyre pressures ready for the race. I then realised I'd forgotten my pit board. We improvised with the card board backing of my niece's colouring book - she apparently wasn't very happy about this. But with that and a bit of duct tape we had a passible pit board.

The race was at 2:25. We all lined up in the assembly area. Then we moved out onto the track. I assume because of the length of the circuit the lap out of the pits was the green flag/warm up lap. I was on the outside of the grid in 12th position. The marshals lined us up on the grid. I decided at this point I'd wedge my electric window switches between the cage and the door so I could use them during the race if needed. I couldn't see the 1 min and 30 second boards but the lights came on eventually and then off again very quickly and we were off. I got a good reaction but really lit up my tyres so didn't get away very quickly. I stayed on the outside for the first corner and got bumped wide by a purple Alfa. It was only a gentle bump and no obvious damage from the drivers seat. He did give me a "sorry about that" kind of a wave that made me chuckle, but it meant I lost a lot of places and I guess it put me off for the next few corners. I also had the problem of never having driven the circuit in the dry so did not really have a feel for how fast I could go around the corners. Plus I'm really not aggressive enough for the first couple of laps. Something to work on for next year. So by the end of the first lap I was down in 23rd!

On the 3rd lap I started to reel cars back in. I was catching a BMW compact and it suddenly started steaming and I got a windscreen full of coolant. He then dropped off pretty quick.

Over the next couple of laps I reeled in the Alfa that bumped me at the start. He let me passed at the knickerbrook chicane. I then started catching the white and yellow focus. The pits opened and I saw my pit board telling me to come in. I was catching the focus nicely now but came into the pits anyway.

I released my belts, jumped out and my step Dad closed the door. But as he did so I realised the electric window switches had fallen down and were going to get crushed in the door. The switch was smashed and I just posted it back inside the door and we carried on with the pit stop. It was a really stupid mistake from me to put the switch in that position as it always falls down and gets in the way of the door. But apart from that the stop went well and we only lost about 10-15 seconds from the problem.

On the first lap out of the pits both my electric windows wound themselves all the way down and I had no way to get them back up. I thought I'd probably get black flagged for having the windows open and considered coming in the pits to sort it out, but I decided in the end to just wait for the black flag if it came. Luckily they didn't black flag me and I managed to finish the race with the windows down. It was nice and cool for a change :)

On lap 10 I came across the number 62 black 206 exiting the pits. I could see it was a bit slow and managed to get past with a bit of a do or die manoeuvre at Druids.

After that I could see I was catching the number 14 fiesta. As I came down cascades I saw he'd spun and was slowing slightly to avoid him when I spun as well. Looks like there was some oil down as next lap the oil flag was out. We both got going again, but not before I'd lost the place to the 206 that I had just taken. I was at least right on the fiesta now though.

I got a run on him approaching Knickerbrook chicane but I out braked myself missed the chicane and had to let him back past. The fiesta got away and left me in the clutches of the ktec clio. I was slow due dirty tyres and they got past easily when I went wide at the final corner.

After that the car didn't feel quite right. I really struggled to know what the problem was.

I think the DS2500 pads don't have as much feel as the DS3000s under heavy braking. This lead to me regularly out braking myself into the corners, especially at lodge the final corner. I didn't actually get any fade from the pads though, it just wasn't stopping as well.

Someone suggested having the windows opened my have affected the balance. Initially I though that was unlikely but I guess it would have had a small effect and what ever the problem was it was only small.

With my slightly reduced pace the number 10 clio was now reeling me in and I had lost touch with the fiesta and ktec clio.

I had also had an intermittent problem of the car going into 5th instead of 3rd on the down shift. I've never had this happen in the 8 years I've owned the car so I am wondering if the linkage has moved a bit during the race.

I guessed the number 10 clio would be on the same lap as me so it would be for position. Several times I ended up in 5th instead of third and also was slowed by some traffic so several times in the last couple of laps they were right on my bumper. But I managed to hold it together enough to keep them behind and finished only half a second ahead of them and also posted my fastest lap in the process. So much for my handling problem?

Was another great race. Lots of fun and a great circuit too. I definitely feel I need more track time there to master some of the corners.

Looking forward to next season.

Not sure what to do on the upgrade front. I'll probably keep my eyes open for some ITBs. I'll probably also look at shedding some weight as I have not done anything in that regard yet. The car must weight the same as standard as I expect the cage weights about the same as the interior that I removed. Polycarb windows and fibre glass boot and bonnet are also quite probable.

My front right wheel is knackered after the first corner incident apart from that there is just some minor scuffing.

There are loads of minor jobs that need doing too like tidying up wiring and the front running gear refresh.

I am also going to look at some sort of oil cooling as my oil temps have been in the high 130s during both races although the pressure has been fine.

MoT due next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some pictures from the day

Checking my tyre pressures

P1000916.jpg

Lining up ready for the race

P1000921.jpg

Me and the ktec clio

P1000967.jpg

Post race battle scars

P1010056.jpg

172 Race Car
Nice write up Mark. Great race. Lol at the windows going down after the stop.

Wow, that white Clio got off the line well ;)

Good move on the 206 into druids, i tried that on the ktec car and shat my pants.

We short shift to 3rd in middle of knickerbrook, settles the car down for the exit, stops it wheel spinning on exit.
Like you say need some more dry running around there to find some more time as its so long takes a while

Need to horizontal flip your rear camera footage, makes it easier to watch as its what you would see in the mirror then

Great stuff Mark - try some EBC Yellows worth a punt at £85 for a set of fronts, don't have any issues with them at all (not the CS choice pad though lol) and get great bite and stopping from cold, better when hot though!

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Hi Mark

Do you have a part no for the cage ? also I see they need welding up as they are tacked together, how much needs doing and can you get the cage in and out again once its all welded up ? I assume its bolted to the floor plates ?
If (we) get to go racing next year the idea is to do events where we can do trackdays before to learn the circuits rather than spend big on engine mods chasing 10 or so hp as I think tracktime is far more important than power in the 1st season or so. Also we like your idea of doing stage events as this gives the car more chance of being used.

Cheers

Hi Mark

Do you have a part no for the cage ? also I see they need welding up as they are tacked together, how much needs doing and can you get the cage in and out again once its all welded up ? I assume its bolted to the floor plates ?
If (we) get to go racing next year the idea is to do events where we can do trackdays before to learn the circuits rather than spend big on engine mods chasing 10 or so hp as I think tracktime is far more important than power in the 1st season or so. Also we like your idea of doing stage events as this gives the car more chance of being used.

Cheers

Sorry I missed you at the race, I'm sure I'll see you next year though by the sound of it.

It is an OMP AB/105P220H (the picture OMP is wrong http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AB-105P-2...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27cac11d47) I paid 540 for mine in July last year delivered from tweeks so I'd shop about a bit. Although I had been watching them for a while and I wondered if they'd made a mistake when I saw mine come up on ebay as it was over 100 quid cheaper than normal so I bought it ASAP.

It bolts to the plates yes. It is 90% welded at the factory. All you need to do is weld in the floor plates, the ones they send you are a bit strange - I think they had not updated the plates from when it was arch mounted, I managed to use them without much bother though. You need to weld in the door bars, you only get a single bar per side I added the cross myself. The only bit that is tacked is the cross in the main hoop - I asked OMP about this and the idea is so you can adjust the position. I cut the tacks and removed the X as it was several mm too big. I could have got it in as it was but it would have meant cutting into the sills a bit and I didn't really want to do that. Sounds a ball ache but it wasn't so bad really. I did it all with a hobby welder and grinder in my garage.

With regards to getting it in and out it all depends on how you weld the door bars in. IIRC it just comes with some bar so you would be welding the two parts together with the door bar. I made my door bars bolt in as well so I could remove the cage - in reality though I can't see why I ever would. The dash and seats have to come out to get it in and out.

I added the harness bar myself. The FIA cert says you can modify it according to some drawings in the FIA regs - basically any of the std additional bars you see about are fine to add.

The bolts for the rear points are also a bit of a pain. They go through the boot floor and out of the spring platform. I have ASTs so this was no problem for me but I ended up cutting the nipple thing that the original spring went on and then welded a plate over that as well. If I'd taken a bit more time about it I probably could have saved the original spring pick up points. The boot floor is paper thin so be careful with the welder.

You are right about the track time, if you compare James' times to mine his fastest lap is 5 seconds quicker and I can't see more that 1-2 of that being the car.

Nice write up Mark. Great race. Lol at the windows going down after the stop.

Wow, that white Clio got off the line well ;)

Good move on the 206 into druids, i tried that on the ktec car and shat my pants.

We short shift to 3rd in middle of knickerbrook, settles the car down for the exit, stops it wheel spinning on exit.
Like you say need some more dry running around there to find some more time as its so long takes a while

Need to horizontal flip your rear camera footage, makes it easier to watch as its what you would see in the mirror then

Yes the windows was very silly of me. Note to self do implement half baked ideas while sat on the start line.

What clio ;)

I noticed you short shifted in knickerbrook, seems like the way to go. I did try second at shell oils corner but it made no difference on speed.

I noticed the rear view looked funny just as I was uploading lol.

Great stuff Mark - try some EBC Yellows worth a punt at £85 for a set of fronts, don't have any issues with them at all (not the CS choice pad though lol) and get great bite and stopping from cold, better when hot though!

Thanks Pete. I definitely need to try some different pads the EBC ones seem a lot more wallet friendly. I only managed 1 test, 1 race and 2 wet track days on the Ferodo pads, although I think I have some mild binding.

Just re-reading this and I thought it sounds like I didn't refit the cross in the main hoop. I did refit it but I had to shave about 10mm of the bottom tubes to make it fit.

Sorry I missed you at the race, I'm sure I'll see you next year though by the sound of it.

It is an OMP AB/105P220H (the picture OMP is wrong http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AB-105P-2...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27cac11d47) I paid 540 for mine in July last year delivered from tweeks so I'd shop about a bit. Although I had been watching them for a while and I wondered if they'd made a mistake when I saw mine come up on ebay as it was over 100 quid cheaper than normal so I bought it ASAP.

It bolts to the plates yes. It is 90% welded at the factory. All you need to do is weld in the floor plates, the ones they send you are a bit strange - I think they had not updated the plates from when it was arch mounted, I managed to use them without much bother though. You need to weld in the door bars, you only get a single bar per side I added the cross myself. The only bit that is tacked is the cross in the main hoop - I asked OMP about this and the idea is so you can adjust the position. I cut the tacks and removed the X as it was several mm too big. I could have got it in as it was but it would have meant cutting into the sills a bit and I didn't really want to do that. Sounds a ball ache but it wasn't so bad really. I did it all with a hobby welder and grinder in my garage.

With regards to getting it in and out it all depends on how you weld the door bars in. IIRC it just comes with some bar so you would be welding the two parts together with the door bar. I made my door bars bolt in as well so I could remove the cage - in reality though I can't see why I ever would. The dash and seats have to come out to get it in and out.

I added the harness bar myself. The FIA cert says you can modify it according to some drawings in the FIA regs - basically any of the std additional bars you see about are fine to add.

The bolts for the rear points are also a bit of a pain. They go through the boot floor and out of the spring platform. I have ASTs so this was no problem for me but I ended up cutting the nipple thing that the original spring went on and then welded a plate over that as well. If I'd taken a bit more time about it I probably could have saved the original spring pick up points. The boot floor is paper thin so be careful with the welder.

You are right about the track time, if you compare James' times to mine his fastest lap is 5 seconds quicker and I can't see more that 1-2 of that being the car.

There is nothing actually wrong with it.

It was just a little on the wide side. I could have fitted it as it was but it would have meant cutting some holes in the sills as the captive nuts on the box section the cage fixes too would foul the sill.

I took a pic, that describes it better than me. I'll dig it out.

Edit: There is a pic on the first page in post 17. You can see that the bolt holes in the cage and the box section don't line up.

Last edited:
Well I have been busy buying things lol.

I have actually only started working on the car this week! I haven't touched it really since last year.

I have some ITBs and am going to get rid of the std loom and ECU. I will have some fibre glass doors from the group buy and I already have a boot and bonnet. I have some plastic windows. Plus lots of other little bits I can't remember and will probably never find in my garage again lol.

My first race is planned for Thruxton on the 1st of June with the Tin Tops. I decided not to do Brands as I am getting married the following Saturday so thought it might be a bit risky ;)

I'll do a proper update when I've actually started putting it back together.

Current state of my garage

20130130_191020_P1010612_zps91361d53.jpg

20130130_190942_P1010611_zpsad072516.jpg

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Aladdins cave ! is that a big swirl pot next to your tool cabinet lol

Plenty to do then, I think time especially with a young family is the hardest thing to find and throw a wedding into it you will be very busy.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
If you need some of the R1R's out of the way more than happy to move them for you! :)

Need a bit of a tidy up in there Mark.

You're not wrong. It is actually worse now...

Aladdins cave ! is that a big swirl pot next to your tool cabinet lol

Plenty to do then, I think time especially with a young family is the hardest thing to find and throw a wedding into it you will be very busy.

Yes I think it will go nicely in the clio. Once in, I reckon I'll be able to pull 9g without any fuel starvation issues ;)

Wow...where do you sleep?

​engine for sale???

In the car - except it is also full of stuff.

Looks like my garage lol

:)

If you need some of the R1R's out of the way more than happy to move them for you! :)

The only thing that keeps me going every time I go between my 2 tyre pillars is the thought "I don't think I'll need to buy any new tyres this year...". There are also 4 ad08 on the car.

I'm doing an autosolo this weekend but using the 182 for that as the race car is in too many pieces.

Thanks for all the comments. Gave me a nice warm feeling and some motivation to get on with it.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Got it all back in the car tonight, just second door bar to do.

img_2736.jpg

img_2737.jpg

Still got my ARDS test to do as well as loads of other bits and pieces.

Hoping to be ready for Silverstone on the 26th of May, planning on bringing to car to Brands on the 7th to let the scrutineers take a look.

Hi Mark

A bit of a strange question for you, do you think you could fit the trim back in around the cage ? I need to run with all my trim in 1B but I am running with 140nm springs in the standard position so I was thinking of fitting this cage so it feeds some load into the cage rather than than into the mounts as I think it will bend the shell after a while.

​Cheers

It depends if you're allowed to cut it.

The main hoop clearance is very small so I'd say you would not get the head lining or original seat belts back in. You could get the head lining in by cutting it. Seat belts no chance as there is just not enough clearance on the B pillars.

At the front you won't get the interior light back in and will need to cut dash.

For the rear stays you'll need to cut into the seats but it might well go back in. It wouldn't be useable though.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Blue book says you can cut trim to fit cage but doubt I could get enough back in, the safety devices cage will fit around trim but not sure if I want a dash dodger, although saves a large amount of work ( and possible wiring/running problems) but doesn't pick up spring mounts.
Will have a rethink.
Cheers

Cup In bits
Might not fit right out the box but trimming an inch off all 6 legs and using a ratchet strap to pull the legs in before welding and I can't see a problem IMO. It won't be easy but any cage fitting is tricky.

182cup & 172 racecar
Blue book says you can cut trim to fit cage but doubt I could get enough back in, the safety devices cage will fit around trim but not sure if I want a dash dodger, although saves a large amount of work ( and possible wiring/running problems) but doesn't pick up spring mounts.
Will have a rethink.
Cheers

​Are you allowed to pick up spring points with the cage?, Some regs do not allow this.

I've entered Thruxton on the 1st of June.

I started to fit my bodies and new loom. I got this far by early May...

P1020140_zps75ca35d9.jpg

and realised there was no way I would be able to get it ready in time. Seeing as I was getting married on the 11th and had some stuff to prepare before hand, the wife was going to be away on business for the 3rd week of May and we're all away for most of the 4th week of May. There were too many uncertainties and I didn't want to miss Thruxton with it only being 17 miles from my house and also a track you don't get to race at very often. So I decided to stick the standard looms back in and the standard inlet manifold. I sold the RS2 in January.

I had it all back together last week and got it taxed and insured yesterday and went for a spin today. All seemed fine so I cracked on with my job list.

P1020228_zpse91c731b.jpg

Today I changed the lower ball joints, inner track rods and track rod ends - I'd noticed there was significant play in the inner track rod ball joints. Changed the pads while I was there and discovered one of the DS2500s had disintegrated and lost about 50% of its contact area. So now I know why my brakes seemed a bit dodgy at Oulton last year.

P1020227_zpsfb4524fb.jpg

Still got a few jobs to do before Thruxton but they're mostly minor so hopefully I am nearly ready to go.

Are they 120mm trumpets? Thanks & great read :)

They sure are :) It is a tight fit with the angle the ktec bodies come up at, I'll need to trim a bit of the inner bonnet skin away.

Just watched the BTCC at Thruxton this morning...that's a fast and wide track. Good to see car's nearly ready. Be good to get out and on track I bet.

Yes it will be good to get out there. The circuit is scarily fast lol.

I am all set for Thruxton.

I have created a minor electrical gremlin after getting water in the electric window switch - The electric window switch now starts the wipers! It sorts itself out after a few seconds/minutes. It doesn't seem to have effected anything else so I am planning to just live with it for the race.

More info here if anyone has any thoughts http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?700717-Electrical-problem.

It looks like an interesting program of races. Qualifying 9:40 and race 14:35 right after the truck race!

thruxton_timetable_zps82575bd7.jpg